Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

More derney racing from London on now for the curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Weepsie wrote: »
    How did they see him without the HiViz??

Technology:
    https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/922921968537444352?s=09

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nee wrote: »
    More derney racing from London on now for the curious...

Was there last night. The Irish guys did well. Felix was involved in most of the endurance stuff and they managed to regain a lap in one event. Felix managed second place in his derny race. Cav delighted the crowd with a victory in his. He spent time with kids in the inner arena and seemed to be enjoying himself

Had a natter with Felix. Apparently he was running something like 60:14 in the Europeans buy they are limited to 52:15 in this event. Probably going to be a lot of tired legs when they do it all again tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beasty wrote: »
    Had a natter with Felix. Apparently he was running something like 60:14 in the Europeans buy they are limited to 52:15 in this event. Probably going to be a lot of tired legs when they do it all again tonight

Sweet Christmas, at my best I was pushing 52:14 and that only lasts for so long at speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a new one on me, posted in the commuting and transport forum; the level crossing at coolmine was damaged today by a cyclist gunning it as the barrier fell:

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/923176062548348928/video/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

a new one on me, posted in the commuting and transport forum; the level crossing at coolmine was damaged today by a cyclist gunning it as the barrier fell:

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/923176062548348928/video/1

I do object to the title of the other thread (a cyclist, not cyclists) but regardless the person on a bike here was being very silly. You don’t mess with level crossings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What a gob****e. And as night follows day, "cyclists" are being discussed on that thread, as opposed to the one moronic clown. Do you get broad comments about car and truck drivers every week when someone driving such a vehicle strike a crossing?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not exactly Indiana Jones.

He hit it some smack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And as night follows day, "cyclists" are being discussed on that thread, as opposed to the one moronic clown.
    are we reading the same thread?
    it was posted precisely because it's a 'man bites dog' story, and there's no anti-cyclist sentiment (yet).

are we reading the same thread?
    it was posted precisely because it's a 'man bites dog' story, and there's no anti-cyclist sentiment (yet).

In the twitter feed, 5th or 6th comment, "I fear for the sanity of cyclists". Same guy then goes on about his daily encounters with cyclists breaking lights and almost crashing into him.

• Advertisement

ah, i thought you mean the other thread on boards.

Yeah, when posting I was trying to see if there was a specific name for a thread of conversation on Twitter, feed is probably best suited as opposed to thread.

Beasty wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jaaaaaysuuus. I don't think I could even start that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

That's like 66kph at 120 cadence. Holy ***** ..... knees of steel!

Anyone know where you can get a HRM strap? I have the monitor, (a Cateye one) but all I can find online are whole ones that include the monitor for €40+ Even in sports shops they say you need to get one specific to the unit? PITA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Anyone know where you can get a HRM strap? I have the monitor, (a Cateye one) but all I can find online are whole ones that include the monitor for €40+ Even in sports shops they say you need to get one specific to the unit? PITA!

If you can wait 4-6 weeks then AliExpress.com.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alek wrote: »
    That's like 66kph at 120 cadence. Holy ***** ..... knees of steel!
    Equally when they are behind the derneys in the 6 day they are probably spinning over 40 laps at something approaching 140 rpm

If you can wait 4-6 weeks then AliExpress.com.

Damn had hoped there would be a quicker solution. I might just have a look at one and make one. I had hoped there would be a €10 solution. Ah effort :pac:

used my cheapo garmin for the first time this morning. out of the box, the distance travelled is displayed in miles, and the instantaneous speed in km/h. clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

used my cheapo garmin for the first time this morning. out of the box, the distance travelled is displayed in miles, and the instantaneous speed in km/h. clever.

It's a brain exercise. Lots of mental maths on the way to work

• Advertisement

i recorded the trip on strava on my phone at the same time. main difference was moving time; the garmin seems to have a lower threshhold i guess for when you're stopped, it claimed my moving time was longer than on my phone, which brought down the average speed.

That's my current set up as I'm following something that uses miles. I used to do the calculations in my head but now I leave the distance in miles so I can spot where in the plan I'm at with a glance on Strava, but leave the speed/pace in kms as I can relate to that better in terms of performance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a Ciclo one, PM what monitor you have and I will see if they are compatible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AS above, I have a Bryton Strap. Either it, or the monitor stopped working recently (think it's the monitor), welcome to try it after I give it one last chance of revival.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a Ciclo one, PM what monitor you have and I will see if they are compatible.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    AS above, I have a Bryton Strap. Either it, or the monitor stopped working recently (think it's the monitor), welcome to try it after I give it one last chance of revival.

It's a Cateye one. Even if I get a look at one I can make one myself. Mad that they aren't around more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Seller is also selling the white one in another listing which is missing a rather important part too. He suggests buying both to "link" them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

UGH!

I am so sick of shoalers! I commute in my regular clothes which is mainly dresses and skirts, have a pretty helmet and a basket on the front but I'm pretty fit and I'm fast, especially taking off from lights and I'm pretty sure if those who shoal were assessing me based on whether I was an 'experienced' cyclist or not they'd come to the conclusion that I'm not and therefore 'fair game' to skip me in the queue.

The funniest is when you pass them out again with ease and you can hear them absolutely busting a gut behind trying to catch up.

The ones who do it to me more than once on the stretch in, tend to get a passive aggressive 'It would be great if you could wait in the queue like the rest of us so those of us who are faster don't have to keep passing you out' but obviously I'm going by them so fast they probably only catch the first half of my sentence!! :D:D

One of the shoalers this morning had their rear light on the front and their front light on the rear, and another was completely in black with no lights whatsoever. They are a special breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Vel wrote: »

I'm pretty sure if those who shoal were assessing me based on whether I was an 'experienced' cyclist or not they'd come to the conclusion that I'm not and therefore 'fair game' to skip me in the queue.

No, I think they are just a unique blend of ignorant and thick with a dash of oblivious thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vel wrote: »
    ... I'm pretty sure if those who shoal were assessing me based on whether I was an 'experienced' cyclist or not they'd come to the conclusion that I'm not and therefore 'fair game' to skip me in the queue....
    Nah, they do it to me all the time and I'm in full Lycra on a road bike. They're just a peculiar breed of people in their own limited world and bereft of normal social awareness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement