Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mrs WA left a copy on my pillow the other night. Pretty good so far although I'm only a few chapters in.

Cool. I was picking up a few books today and gave it a Google to see what the reviews are like which is when I spotted the discount on Amazon so I purchased it there. Prefer real books but the kindle price won out today so picked up a couple of others instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

I gave up the will to live after the first word. This recent phenomenon of beginning every sentence with the word 'so' is driving me nuts. Half the country are at it at the moment and don't seem to realise how retarded they sound! :mad:

Well you can rest safely assured that once you get past that word, there's only a single other sentence that begins with 'so'. So maybe give it another try?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Beginning sentences with "So ..." is pretty common among scientists, based on listening to BBC Radio 4's The Life Scientific.

Germans do it a lot, but maybe that's because they're using it as a substitute for starting a sentence with "Also". Which is just a place holder while you gather your thoughts. (I think.)

(Just looking at the article. I would never criticise the great BSNYC anyway, but that use of "so" is pretty standard and long-standing, and it's not a placeholder.)

From Beowulf: A New Verse Translation by Seamus Heaney

Introduction of the Danes

So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
    And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
    We have heard of those princes’ heroic campaigns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I gave up the will to live after the first word. This recent phenomenon of beginning every sentence with the word 'so' is driving me nuts. Half the country are at it at the moment and don't seem to realise how retarded they sound! :mad:

Better than people using "like" every other word. I thought that would have died sometime in the 90s but it has not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Almost have a Ross O'Carroll Kelly thing going on here
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    "So ..."
    Weepsie wrote: »
    "like"
    I
    "like"
    literally
    died.
    "like"
    "..."
    Roysh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just an update on back injury, I had 50kgs plus bar so a reduction maybe is in line.

The injury itself was a spasm so 2 days of treatment via Diazepam & anti inflammatories have me nearly 100%, no tabs today and I do that have any pain I'd be worried about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if someone finds a small frame pump somewhere between glasnevin and leopardstown, could you hold on to it for me? ta.
    i don't f***ing believe this. i went to take the frame pump off the other bike and it was also missing. i have since found the two of them hidden away.

a few weeks back, we went off on holidays for two weeks, and i did my usual routine of letting the air out of the bike tyres and putting all the front wheels in the attic - just if someone was to steal any of the bikes, i'd damn well make them work for their reward. i must have hidden the pumps to stop them pumping the tyres back up and completely forgotten about it. alcohol may have been consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    Just an update on back injury, I had 50kgs plus bar so a reduction maybe is in line.

The injury itself was a spasm so 2 days of treatment via Diazepam & anti inflammatories have me nearly 100%, no tabs today and I do that have any pain I'd be worried about.

That's 70kg if using an Olympic bar which is most likely. That's not an insignificant amount of weight. There's brave and there's stupid :)

Now, to be fair, I also usually fall into the stupid category

That's 70kg if using an Olympic bar which is most likely. That's not an insignificant amount of weight. There's brave and there's stupid :)

Now, to be fair, I also usually fall into the stupid category

I am now aware that I was in the stupid category, reduction to 20kg plates with 4 x 5 reps and longer breaks between sets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Did you just jump in at that weight after not lifting for a long time? That's just stupidity I'm afraid to say, I've zero sympathy for ya if that's the case!
    It took me a year and a half to squat 70kg :o In my defense it's my body weight + 10kg.

nee wrote: »
    Did you just jump in at that weight after not lifting for a long time? That's just stupidity I'm afraid to say, I've zero sympathy for ya if that's the case!
    It took me a year and a half to squat 70kg :o In my defense it's my body weight + 10kg.

2 weeks into it with starting at zero weight wk1,3 x 12, Wk2- 2x12 no weight + 1 x 12 10kg. Twice weekly.
    Wk3 I went for 25kg each side on a 4x 5 rep.

I am now fully aware it was silly and didn't expect sympathy just a learning curve like most new activities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

2 weeks into it with starting at zero weight wk1,3 x 12, Wk2- 2x12 no weight + 1 x 12 10kg. Twice weekly.
    Wk3 I went for 25kg each side on a 4x 5 rep.

I am now fully aware it was silly and didn't expect sympathy just a learning curve like most new activities.

I was being harsh on ya!

20kg to 70kg in three weeks is a big jump.
    Think you're better off spending time getting technique right then adding load, heavy weight badly done will cost you time off the bike, lower weights proper technique will only make you faster!

But sure ya know all of that already.

Weights rock, I love lifting. I also don't buy this weights are just for winter either, it's a year round thing for me, even when racing. So good for the body.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The only way I can do any significant weight is with a leg press. 26+ years of major back problems and a threat that the next but one course of action is fusing the bottom three vertebrae means it's simply not worth the risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I am now aware that I was in the stupid category, reduction to 20kg plates with 4 x 5 reps and longer breaks between sets.

Is there a powerlifting/weightlifting club in the town?

Pay for some instruction and train with people who know what their doing.

Focus on mobility work/form/proper warm up and don't worry about how little is on the bar.

I'll ask around for you

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is there a powerlifting/weightlifting club in the town?

Pay for some instruction and train with people who know what their doing.

Focus on mobility work/form/proper warm up and don't worry about how little is on the bar.

I'll ask around for you

I'll be at it for 2-3 months max and use Nitrous currently as it's PAYG which is ideal given the timeframe I'm using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

When I started in the gym and did a fitness assessment I took it very seriously for about 3 months of noting weights and reps. Looking back at the early weights it was "wow, that little" but at the time I was only capable of little bits.

My particular strengths are leg press (160kg 6x5 reps) and calf raise (100kg 4x20 reps)

My first time doing calf raises was 40kg, and I was unable to walk for 3 days afterwards. It is important to take it slowly though.

Probably the best thing to help me though was learning to stretch properly first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Had to drive from Inchicore to Ballinteer around 8 last night. Counted 32 cyclists. Only 18 had lights of any description. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Had to drive from Inchicore to Ballinteer around 8 last night. Counted 32 cyclists. Only 18 had lights of any description. Madness.
    The fact your counting them, We can go around counting all sorts of bad road behaviors. Cops should be out on busy roads to issue warning too all road users about lights especially as the clocks go back soon will catch alot people out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement

The Gardaí know what to do when they catch these people.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/922084492004724736

Oh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so they're sending cyclists off on a legally deficient bike.

They've "advised" them to comply with the law some time, whatever, and garbed them like a binman. What more do you want?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"In future, I'd advise you not to drive after having a few pints. Now, off you go, you scamp".

isn't having no lights a FPN offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Should have taken the balaclava off him too, he must have feic all visibility cycling around like that. He needs to HTFU, has been relatively mild enough lately.

Yes for all, lots of cars with faulty lights, but the hi vis thing grinds my gears far more important to have lights, some of the comments on that gardai tweet usual poor motorists this and that, stupid cyclists that and that

Yes for all, lots of cars with faulty lights, but the hi vis thing grinds my gears far more important to have lights, some of the comments on that gardai tweet usual poor motorists this and that, stupid cyclists that and that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Gardaí know what to do when they catch these people.

Oh.

How did they see him without the HiViz??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'll be at it for 2-3 months max and use Nitrous currently as it's PAYG which is ideal given the timeframe I'm using it for.

It can be addictive, if you do it for a solid 2/3 months you probably won't stop. Plus you will see the difference on the bike, which will make you want to keep it up, especially at the level you're at where slight improvements are hard earned I'm sure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement