Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah, but most of the other gym users there are asses.

As a furtherment of the analogy, are people who do not use mudguards at the minute like those people who don't bring a towel into the gym with them and leave puddles of sweat on the equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    As a furtherment of the analogy, are people who do not use mudguards at the minute like those people who don't bring a towel into the gym with them and leave puddles of sweat on the equipment?

Well yes and no. At least in the gym they're not spraying it into your face.

Both are evil though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Well yes and no. At least in the gym they're not spraying it into your face.

Both are evil though!

I'd rather have road water sprayed on my face than lie down on a sweaty bench. I was a member of Energie fitness and I left because I couldn't cope with the filth anymore, the leather on most benches was worn through leaving the foam exposed and when you leaned on them the sweat would come up through. Pretty horrid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

buffalo wrote: »
    There's a T-ish junction near me. On top of the T is a school, and on the right side of the T is residences. To the left of the T is a short stretch of path which ends in a dead end in both directions (https://goo.gl/maps/8ftBF9vjWbw).

They put in two pedestrian crossings a few months ago. They are not connected, so each must be activated separately. And where do they connect? On the dead end path! So there is no direction connection between the school and the residences.

So no pedestrians use them.

Not only that, but because they're on the corner and not connected, drivers often come around the corner and don't even see the lights are red.

So it would be dangerous for pedestrians to use them.

WHO BUILT THIS!?

How long has that school been there. I used to live nearby and would still cycle by there regularly when heading to Dublin 15 from town and never once noticed it.

If you ask me, that whole area, though nice in some,or even many ways is an example of bad design, planning and the typical just throw em up style that has long been adopted in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    How long has that school been there. I used to live nearby and would still cycle by there regularly when heading to Dublin 15 from town and never once noticed it.

If you ask me, that whole area, though nice in some,or even many ways is an example of bad design, planning and the typical just throw em up style that has long been adopted in Ireland.

It's a small enough school (maybe just a montessori?), just a couple of pre-fabs I think.

And agreed on the design, though there's also some extremely lazy humans. The village area has free underground parking, but yet people still double-park when they go to the shops. There's no loading bays for commercial vehicles making deliveries. There's no pedestrian crossing in the village, though really it should have a zebra crossing at least - when the level crossing opens it's impossible to cross for a few minutes at rush hour. And the one pedestrian crossing at the canal is routinely ignored - only last week I saw someone beeping at the car in front for stopping! Despite of course the 15 car tailback at the Halfway House roundabout 200m up the road...

...I never realised how much I dislike about the area until just now. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to go cycling round there when it were all just fields...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Goes to the gym...aggravates an old back injury, great start to wait looks like a ****e weekend.

dahat wrote: »
    Goes to the gym...aggravates an old back injury, great start to wait looks like a ****e weekend.

I'm always hurting myself between one thing and another, especially playing football and I always just carry on and don't give a fiddlers except when it comes to the back. It genuinely scares me and I always rest when i feel a niggle starting in my back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thanks for the lift Brian :pac:

I'm always hurting myself between one thing and another, especially playing football and I always just carry on and don't give a fiddlers except when it comes to the back. It genuinely scares me and I always rest when i feel a niggle starting in my back

Back is always a worry, I'll rest up and assess if I really need to be doing what I'm doing in the gym.
    As my wife said, "you have have cycled 9000km this year nearly and no injury, 3 weeks going to a gym and you are laid up.." maybe she has a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Back is always a worry, I'll rest up and assess if I really need to be doing what I'm doing in the gym.
    As my wife said, "you have have cycled 9000km this year nearly and no injury, 3 weeks going to a gym and you are laid up.." maybe she has a point.

Rather than trying to get stronger learn to move properly.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Rather than trying to get stronger learn to move properly.

Another fair point, I suspect I was squatting the reps too quick with a loss of form for speed as a result of being too keen.
    This was a 3 month plan max so I don't know if I want to risk too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

22528399_1626707657392262_1252526160200893983_n.jpg?oh=124f0120d74cbc6c9e670a732ceedc9e&oe=5A69A8E8

Another fair point, I suspect I was squatting the reps too quick with a loss of form for speed as a result of being too keen.
    This was a 3 month plan max so I don't know if I want to risk too much either.

Squats are amazing and you'll feel some serious benefits BUT form needs to be damn near perfect and I'd recommend having a good trainer show you how to do them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    22528399_1626707657392262_1252526160200893983_n.jpg?oh=124f0120d74cbc6c9e670a732ceedc9e&oe=5A69A8E8

I know someone who has done this. Twice.

What the actual feck is the stayers track race about???!!!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Google is leaving me scratching my head. It looks... insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Was just about to say too!

Quare bikes -both motor and pedal

Seven Worlds will Collide

Derney racing. Regular scratch but you have a derney in front of you. There's a roller on the back of the derney so the front wheel of the bike can touch it, and the bike is that way so it has greater stability for hitting the roller and aero gainz

nee wrote: »
    Derney racing. Regular scratch but you have a derney in front of you. There's a roller on the back of the derney so the front wheel of the bike can touch it, and the bike is that way so it has greater stability for hitting the roller and aero gainz

Eh, they ain't no derneys!

• Advertisement

Looks something like this?

4298314340_d9b450bb5c.jpg

As I said, it looks insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Squats are amazing and you'll feel some serious benefits BUT form needs to be damn near perfect and I'd recommend having a good trainer show you how to do them properly.

learn to squat with no weight first, for cyclists the best exercises are done with the body

manafana wrote: »

for cyclists the best exercises are done with the body

Depends what kind of cyclist you are ;)

Lifting heavy only helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Ascent: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche and the Rise of Irish Cycling's Golden Generation by Barry Ryan is on Amazon Kindle for £6.64 at the moment for anyone that might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Ascent: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche and the Rise of Irish Cycling's Golden Generation by Barry Ryan is on Amazon Kindle for £6.64 at the moment for anyone that might be interested.
    Mrs WA left a copy on my pillow the other night. Pretty good so far although I'm only a few chapters in.

nee wrote: »
    Depends what kind of cyclist you are ;)

Lifting heavy only helps me.

Absolutely, Chris Hoy didn't get his quads from cycling. Squats and deadlifts

In saying that I've been training Muay Thai and BJJ the last while, it's unreal, couple that with the heavy lifting and I'm not feeling too much fear in my prep for a Quest Ireland challenge next year, but I'll not say too much about that around here given it's perilously close to being a triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Absolutely, Chris Hoy didn't get his quads from cycling. Squats and deadlifts

In saying that I've been training Muay Thai and BJJ the last while, it's unreal, couple that with the heavy lifting and I'm not feeling too much fear in my prep for a Quest Ireland challenge next year, but I'll not say too much about that around here given it's perilously close to being a triathlon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Every now and then you read something that manages to put into words how you feel about something better than you ever could...
    what I hate about cars is that, excluding actual weaponry, no invention in modern history has been as successful in eliciting the very worst from people and making death, maiming, and general mayhem a part of everyday life.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2253891/how-i-learned-start-worrying-and-hate-car

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    Every now and then you read something that manages to put into words how you feel about something better than you ever could...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2253891/how-i-learned-start-worrying-and-hate-car
    I gave up the will to live after the first word. This recent phenomenon of beginning every sentence with the word 'so' is driving me nuts. Half the country are at it at the moment and don't seem to realise how retarded they sound! :mad:

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »

If it's any consolation, I really don't want to do it but a good buddy needs a companion and between work and college my motivation to train needs to be kept up through something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement