Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Good to hear the commentary being very complimentary to the Irish track effort though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus what happened to Lydia? Missed it this eve.

It's great to watch but Carlton Kirby is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Good luck to Lusk Doyle and any other cycling Boardsies doing the Dublin City Marathon today. As someone who has trouble running 100m, I can't even comprehend what's in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

She should have taken the lane...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Nothing broken for Lydia but quite soree according to the other Lydia on Twitter. Get well soon - hopefully she recovers soon

Happy birthday Ron Zijlaard, 74 today and still racing derny bikes. Took the win in the 6 Day London Derny B Final a second ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

^
    Just read the statement on twitter.
    What is it? Cycling is bigger than ever with phenomenal participation in all aspects of the sport.
    Yet apartmfrom sugar daddies, stable medium term sponsors are leaking from the aport.
    That is deeply disfunctional. Structural weakness of the pro and semipro game being brutally exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Any ideas of the best place to keep an eye out for a deal on a Tiagra hydraulic disc gruppo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tiagra comes in flat disc mount only, so wont fit your cdf unless you change the calipers. A pair of hy/rd is 130e from Taiwan these days...

Calipers are part of the groupset as far as I can see?

Is it not just a case of getting flat mount adaptors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There are no flat > post mount adaptors as far as I know... But then I've heard that calipers can be swapped easily for any post mount version, like from Alivio / Acera MTB groupset.

Some shocking images on the news from new york of bikes on the ground after an incident :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I am finding it so difficult to motivate myself to get out on the bike at the minute. To be fair I have a lot going on and commuting isn't an option, well it is but it's about 500yards so pretty pointless.

I got out and did 40kms on Sunday, relaxed pace, really enjoyed myself, went to the gym Monday with plans to get out on the bike after for another relaxedish spin but I ended up leaving everything on the gym floor, it was like self sabotage halfway through my session, making myself push harder and harder so I'd have an excuse not to go out.

Taking on the Doing the almost 400kms in 2 days (I know that's not much for you seasoned fellers) on very little notice took a lot out of me mentally and I seem to be paying the price now.

I am finding it so difficult to motivate myself to get out on the bike at the minute. To be fair I have a lot going on and commuting isn't an option, well it is but it's about 500yards so pretty pointless.

I got out and did 40kms on Sunday, relaxed pace, really enjoyed myself, went to the gym Monday with plans to get out on the bike after for another relaxedish spin but I ended up leaving everything on the gym floor, it was like self sabotage halfway through my session, making myself push harder and harder so I'd have an excuse not to go out.

Taking on the Doing the almost 400kms in 2 days (I know that's not much for you seasoned fellers) on very little notice took a lot out of me mentally and I seem to be paying the price now.

2 genuine questions:

1. Why do you gym?
    2. Why do you cycle?

2 genuine questions:

1. Why do you gym?
    2. Why do you cycle?

I gym because I genuinely feel better when I'm training, I'm more productive in work and I don't feel lethargic. I struggled with my weight for years and now I'm getting to a stage where people don't refer to me as the fat bloke anymore.

Cycling I really enjoy, the physical feelgood factor along with the mental cleansing. I just seem to be afraid of it at the minute

I gym because I genuinely feel better when I'm training, I'm more productive in work and I don't feel lethargic. I struggled with my weight for years and now I'm getting to a stage where people don't refer to me as the fat bloke anymore.

Cycling I really enjoy, the physical feelgood factor along with the mental cleansing. I just seem to be afraid of it at the minute

I did the gym thing for years and the being built like a brick **** house thing (even now some people tell me they assumed that I must do a lot of weights) although I never really stopped thinking of myself as the fat lad.

But it was always artificial and only latterly in that part of my life did I start focusing less on training that made me feel like I could break through walls and more on stuff that would actually help me (a long two years of rehab certainly nudged me along).

Then I started doing training that made me feel light and quick instead of blunt and strong (initially mostly plyo circuits) and this led to me realising that the sports I'd loved (running, climbing, swimming) had all been about a sense of freedom.

Something cycling gave me in spades. So now I cycle for the freedom it gives me from everything else.

And any other training I do is task focused e.g. to support my cycling, to maintain my damaged joints or for a specific obligation or undertaking.

That means for me I never feel a conflict between cycling and other training. Cycling is something I love. The other training I enjoy but view as supplementary.

My love of cycling fuels almost everything else I do.

Goals and targeted events are fine and useful but if you're not being paid to do it, you should be chasing joy, not metrics in and of themselves.

My 2c try something different on the bike, if you have a hybrid give some singletrack or towpath a go.

When I got up at 05:30 so I could spend 2hrs on the trails in the park this morning it wasn't for how I'd feel after, it was for how it felt at the time.

That's the difference for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Don't tell anyone I said this but take a few weeks off the bike.
    Do the gym and keep fit in other ways.
    Trust me the4 bike will call you back when you are ready.....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone I said this but take a few weeks off the bike.
    Do the gym and keep fit in other ways.
    Trust me the4 bike will call you back when you are ready.....

^^also this.

Just don't trust him when he tells you to swim back to the bike then go for a run immediately after ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd also recommend not planning on having a gym and cycling day. One or the other with a break when you can.

I find that I often go into periods of doing a lot of cycling in short time space and then get a bit sidetracked or find excuses to cut them short for a couple of weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is gym now a verb? I gym, you gym, he/she gyms...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is gym now a verb? I gym, you gym, he/she gyms...

Jim gyms in the gym.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to give considered responses. I will certainly take on board what has been said. I suppose not getting annoyed at myself is a good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

http://www.adverts.ie/14111438

Have I overpriced?

Principal bans kids from cycling to school:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-kids-banned-cycling-school/
    :rolleyes:

What a load of bo***cks! Kids are getting obese, and that’s a problem, but we can’t deal with kids cycling.

Ditch a couple of parking spaces, add in a few bike stands to them, and it’s sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »
    Jim gyms in the gym.

Jan gyms in her jim-jams :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement