Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hi-vis barcodes obviously...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Barcodes were always a good idea, why settle for athletes, lets just cover everyone

:eek:

developers-will-resist.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone notice and unusual amount of oil on the roads today. Ballymun road as far as phibsborough was completely covered in an unending oil slick

I'd hazard it's from a poorly maintained bus
    It would be diesel rather than 'oil'. No engine could survive losing that much oil.

It usually happens when the diesel tank fuel cap hasn't be secured correctly after refueling.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Yeah I’m now totally convinced there is no way to look remotely cool on a Dublin Bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Started some basic strength work as part of training for next season and I'm amazed at the lack of friendly communication in a gym.
    All headphones no chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dahat wrote: »
    Started some basic strength work as part of training for next season and I'm amazed at the lack of friendly communication in a gym.
    All headphones no chat.
    Pfft, next you'll be expecting cyclist to greet each other when passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

detones wrote:
    Yeah I’m now totally convinced there is no way to look remotely cool on a Dublin Bike.

See ya on top of the Kilmashogue lane

All headphones no chat.

I'm delighted no one talks to me in the gym. In, session done, home. I do be in such a sweaty, red-faced state I'm in no humour to talk to anyone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the people i do know who talk in the gym are rugby types who go to do weights as some sort of social thing. not my cup of tea...

the people i do know who talk in the gym are rugby types who go to do weights as some sort of social thing. not my cup of tea...

Now I do love going to the gym with friends (our team have s+c sessions once a week with a PT), we all suffer together. but there's no one else there when we're there. But polite recognition at most under normal gym conditions only please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

There isn't even polite recognition on offer where I go, odd folk gym people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Polite recognition is typically all that's given or received by me. Like Nee, nobody wants to spend time talking to sweaty me during a workout, unless it's the quick "are you using that?" variety. Before workout, or after I've showered, fine, otherwise nod and let me get on with it.

(Okay, a couple of trainers may come over and chat, but they're used to dealing with hot sweaty clients)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the reaction you want from other people in the gym is simply silent awe at your prowess, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

the reaction you want from other people in the gym is simply silent awe at your prowess, surely?

Christ...you're not doing a Harvey Weinstein down the gym are you!

It's the only one I get :cool: :pac:

If I can avoid silent recognition all the better.

Christ...you're not doing a Harvey Weinstein down the gym are you!
    heh; i know that was intended in jest, but just in case there was any ambiguity, no, no and thrice no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There isn't even polite recognition on offer where I go, odd folk gym people.

I used to do a boot camp session most mornings before work. Always a bit of craic and made the session easier. Same with kettle bell classes and boxing. If you're seeing the same people day in day out over an extended period of time you'd expect some level of familiarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sad to see 2wheels go. Cliff and the rest of the lads were always great to deal with, but there's no way I'm trekking out to Sandymount for a service. Time to start studying the GCN maintenance videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Generally I have my headphones in and just want to get my training done in the gym. The only time I'd chat in the gym is if I'm training with somebody

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I like my gym, called the N11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    I like my gym, called the N11.

Yeah, but most of the other gym users there are asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sitting in work thinking I'd get loads done today, phone and email will be quiet. Turns out my colleagues all had the same idea so it's been non stop jibber jabber around me and now we have an email from HR telling us we all need to leave by 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ed Sheeran hit by a car while on his bike in London & broke his arm.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/ed-sheeran-hit-car-london-11349727?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Tour de France 2018 presentation on Eurosport tomorrow at 10:30 for anyone interested.

if someone finds a small frame pump somewhere between glasnevin and leopardstown, could you hold on to it for me? ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

De Bhál wrote: »

I presume it's the same "fair play" logic that leads them not to use hidden speed cameras and to advertise where mobile speed units will be: they don't wish to profit off "catching motorists out".

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as the risk of being caught is about the only thing that makes people keep to speed limits. Essentially, the "fair play" approach means that people are free to speed except for certain roads at advertised times.

Same logic applies to only installing speed cameras at accident blackspots. Some roads are so hazardous that no pedestrians or cyclists use them, which gives them a pretty good safety record, based on the flawed metric of only measuring killed/seriously injured people.

(The article says that the advertised areas are just some of the units that will be deployed on the day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you never see speed enforcement in urban areas either (i.e. town and city streets) - walking around Greystones the other evening (dark, wet) I reckon most cars were going at least 10k over the limit - 50km/h is already too fast IMO in areas where there are a lot of pedestrians and cyclists.

The older I get the more anti-car I'm becoming - literally the most dangerous and environmentally damaging thing most people do every day, yet everyone is so blasé about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think my wife was happier before I started pointing out the hundreds of small indignities imposed on pedestrians by people who design streets and people who drive one them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think my wife was happier before I started pointing out the hundreds of small indignities imposed on pedestrians by people who design streets and people who drive one them.

There's a T-ish junction near me. On top of the T is a school, and on the right side of the T is residences. To the left of the T is a short stretch of path which ends in a dead end in both directions (https://goo.gl/maps/8ftBF9vjWbw).

They put in two pedestrian crossings a few months ago. They are not connected, so each must be activated separately. And where do they connect? On the dead end path! So there is no direction connection between the school and the residences.

So no pedestrians use them.

Not only that, but because they're on the corner and not connected, drivers often come around the corner and don't even see the lights are red.

So it would be dangerous for pedestrians to use them.

WHO BUILT THIS!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement