Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tickets for Mayo v Dublin replay MOD WARNING POST #108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cocoman wrote: »
    Generally kids tickets (on tickets.ie) would be in lower cusack (corners) and davin. Kids would of course be able to sit in any other section but would have to pay full price. I'm open to correction here.

Cusack and Davin are where Kids (and Other concession holders) are. If you want to be in the hogan you gotta pay full whack no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

how hard is it to bring in an option where people who where at the first game get first choice on reply tickets?

bring your ticket to parnell street if that's where you bought it

emailed a unique code if purchase online

very easy and should be brought in

the biggest disgrace was you could buy as many tickets as you wanted in parnell street, limit the tickets!!! disgrace that touts could go in and buy 10 tickets

hate the gaa absolute gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Done Deal came out and stated that they weren't allowed the sale of any tickets, i'ms sure others will follow suit, so i wouldn't expect to see many online.

I wouldn't expect people to be stuck for tickets come match day, however families/mates want to sit together may not get the chance.

Why would Donedeal not allow tickets for Saturday to be sold on their site? Do they not normally allow the sale of GAA tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

tanko wrote: »
    Why would Donedeal not allow tickets for Saturday to be sold on their site? Do they not normally allow the sale of GAA tickets?

Yes, they do. They have instigated the temporary ban to scupper the plans of the ticket touts who (allegedly) hoovered up a lot of the tickets on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

but1er wrote: »
    how hard is it to bring in an option where people who where at the first game get first choice on reply tickets?

the biggest disgrace was you could buy as many tickets as you wanted in parnell street, limit the tickets!!! disgrace that touts could go in and buy 10 tickets

How Hard?
    Exceptionally hard imo.

How would you suggest the mechanics of that work in the 100 or so hours (40 of which being working hours) between the final whistle and midnight Friday?

And why on earth should online bookings or walk-in purchases be given the chance to re-purchase? The game was a draw, it wasn't cancelled.

Restricting ticket quotas on the other hand is quite simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I was in the Nally yesterday i've been there several times before. Did anybody notice the overcrowding ? They had people filling up all the steps right to the top. It looked like there was hundreds over capacity there.

Definitely looked overcrowded from where I was sitting in the stand. And they didn't announce the exact attendance (just said full house) which is unusual - think they were trying to cover up that they oversold the the terraces.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

PARlance wrote: »
    How Hard?
    Exceptionally hard imo.

How would you suggest the mechanics of that work in the 100 or so hours (40 of which being working hours) between the final whistle and midnight Friday?

And why on earth should online bookings or walk-in purchases be given the chance to re-purchase? The game was a draw, it wasn't cancelled.

Restricting ticket quotas on the other hand is quite simple.

tbf if it was announced before every match, that first come first serve went to people who were at the match, then it would be very easy to do. Barcode on all tickets, if you lose your ticket thats your own loss. Give folk 48 hours to rebuy, give they don't - put those tickets on general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Patser

This ticket scramble is unprecedented though. As much stick as people are throwing at how tickets are allocated, there hasn't been this issue all season, even for last Sunday's game. The GAA spokesman on Matt Cooper said as much. They were caught on the hop and didn't expect these issues as, as he said, they've never had them before for a semi final, even games involving the Dubs.

The hype that built up, also built up demand that in turn crashed their systems, which fed the hype. This also attracted the Touts, which again creates a shortage and mini panic. Touts are out there if you look IE

http://www.gumtree.ie/a-tickets/dublin/dublin-v-mayo-tickets-for-sale/1001407392580910407534709

Saying I'm a true fan is easy enough, and there are probably systems that could be set up, but this does seem a special case game wise with only the finals to match the need for such systems.

Putting a limit on ticket sales isn't going to solve the problem of touting. If you want to buy a dozen tickets to sell online for profit, but the limit is 4 tickets per person, then just get a couple of your mates to come along & and queue up with you. You all buy 4 tickets & your mates hand them over to you, as you are buying them a pint in the pub later. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definitely looked overcrowded from where I was sitting in the stand. And they didn't announce the exact attendance (just said full house) which is unusual - think they were trying to cover up that they oversold the the terraces.

Forgot that totally, behind us in 406 there was a full line, possibly 2 deep of people standing up, not sure were they just lookng for a quick pint and waited there or not, but only remembered it there.

• Advertisement

tbf if it was announced before every match, that first come first serve went to people who were at the match, then it would be very easy to do. Barcode on all tickets, if you lose your ticket thats your own loss. Give folk 48 hours to rebuy, give they don't - put those tickets on general sale.

And the logistics or IT infrastructure around that would be difficult, assuming you did it right and associated an account/name which each barcode, it would need an automated system.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant imo because I don't see how tickets that go on general release should be reserved for those who got them the first time around.
    Why should these people get preference?
    If the game was cancelled then sure, give them first refusal. But they got their monies worth...It could have been their first match ever attending.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Putting a limit on ticket sales isn't going to solve the problem of touting. If you want to buy a dozen tickets to sell online for profit, but the limit is 4 tickets per person, then just get a couple of your mates to come along & and queue up with you. You all buy 4 tickets & your mates hand them over to you later, as you are buying them a pint in the pub. Problem solved.

It's not going to solve the problem but anything that makes it harder for them is worth it. If it means that 2 more scrotes have to queue up taking for a few hours of their life, eating into overall profits (for the few pints), then I'm all in favour.
    It's a fairly simple and common sense deterrent that is used worldwide.

And the logistics or IT infrastructure around that would be difficult, assuming you did it right and associated an account/name which each barcode, it would need an automated system.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant imo because I don't see how tickets that go on general release should be reserved for those who got them the first time around.
    Why should these people get preference?
    If the game was cancelled then sure, give them first refusal. But they got their monies worth...It could have been their first match ever attending.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to set up at all, all barcodes on tickets are obv on a system somewhere already as they are scanned going into the stadium, you don't need a name with an ticket, just the barcode, (like i said it's your responsibility to look after it) or alternatively you could have it set up like the season ticket - that's all recorded electronically and there are no real problems associated with it?

Therefore for any replays those who went to the first game get first refusal, now you might say why give it to them, the GAA wouldn't exist without the fans, and the grass root supporters, so you should reward folk, and give those a chance to come to the replay ahead of some random Joe who didn't bother getting a ticket for the first game.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to set up at all, all barcodes on tickets are obv on a system somewhere already as they are scanned going into the stadium, you don't need a name with an ticket, just the barcode, (like i said it's your responsibility to look after it) or alternatively you could have it set up like the season ticket - that's all recorded electronically and there are no real problems associated with it?

Therefore for any replays those who went to the first game get first refusal, now you might say why give it to them, the GAA wouldn't exist without the fans, and the grass root supporters, so you should reward folk, and give those a chance to come to the replay ahead of some random Joe who didn't bother getting a ticket for the first game.

If you don't assign the barcode to an ID then you're not doing it right imo.... here Random Joe, have my old ticket as I'm in Spain next weekend. Without ID's you may open up the issue of touts picking up stubs, or paying guys that can't go a small fee.

The GAA has a system in place of rewarding fans (season ticket holders) and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

That's not necessarily true. I'm a club member but generally buy my tickets through tickets.ie. The allocation is done by a draw so for big matches I won't take the chance on my name been drawn out. I like to have my tickets bought early on and the draws don't be until the week before the match.

Some great suggestions here, but seriously, are the GAA going to go to all this trouble and effort of putting these systems in place to tackle a situation that may only happen once in 10 years? The GAA have replays all the time and nothing like this has ever happened before. The GAA have semi finals all the time and they don't always sell out. There was a replay last year with Mayo and Kerry and there was none of this drama then. But Dublin are involved and the sky falls in?

The GAA definitely need to rethink some of their ticketing strategies, such as having an online ticketing partner whose website can handle heavy traffic without crashing. But this talk of them tracking who went to the first game is unrealistic, seeing as they often can't keep track of the season ticket holders attendance without multiple screw ups.

If you don't assign the barcode to an ID then you're not doing it right imo.... here Random Joe, have my old ticket as I'm in Spain next weekend. Without ID's you may open up the issue of touts picking up stubs, or paying guys that can't go a small fee.

The GAA has a system in place of rewarding fans (season ticket holders) and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

Except for no one in Mayo or Dublin can buy a season ticket because they have been sold out for the last few years.

Paulzx wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. I'm a club member but generally buy my tickets through tickets.ie. The allocation is done by a draw so for big matches I won't take the chance on my name been drawn out. I like to have my tickets bought early on and the draws don't be until the week before the match.

Yip accepted but was trying to use some basic generalisations.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Some great suggestions here, but seriously, are the GAA going to go to all this trouble and effort of putting these systems in place to tackle a situation that may only happen once in 10 years? The GAA have replays all the time and nothing like this has ever happened before. The GAA have semi finals all the time and they don't always sell out. There was a replay last year with Mayo and Kerry and there was none of this drama then. But Dublin are involved and the sky falls in?

The GAA definitely need to rethink some of their ticketing strategies, such as having an online ticketing partner whose website can handle heavy traffic without crashing. But this talk of them tracking who went to the first game is unrealistic, seeing as they often can't keep track of the season ticket holders attendance without multiple screw ups.

There was plenty of drama with last years replay, the fact that the tickets had Limerick printed on them :)

Completely agree, by Friday it will seem like a lot of needless panic imo.
    They can sort out some basic errors and I guess it's a lesson learnt for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There was plenty of drama with last years replay, the fact that the tickets had Limerick printed on them :)

Completely agree, by Friday it will seem like a lot of needless panic imo.
    They can sort out some basic errors and I guess it's a lesson learnt for them.

Imagine the uproar if the replay was in Limerick!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 DanTomKelly

but1er wrote: »

Agreed on all counts. Also how about supporters keeping ticket stubs and whoever goes to most games gets first refusal.
    At very least, have a level playing field where people are not queuing up on Dorset st. Hoovering up all the tickets while website is down.
    I rang ticket office on Monday and was ensured that no tickets could be bought anywhere until site was back up.
    Disgusting and amateurish.
    I'm just waiting for Diarmuid Connollys red to be cancelled.
    That would really make a joke of this organisation.
    Worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DanTomKelly

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Imagine the uproar if the replay was in Limerick!! :D

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sjflaher

Have two Premium Level Tickets for Saturday's replay available if any one is interested.

I'm a Galway man looking to swap them for tickets to the Hurling Final the following day. I'll be in DUblin on Saturday so can hand over tickets on the day

New poster so I can't put up any pictures, but message me directly and I can show you them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just got my tickets delivered.

Got two envelopes with the exact same two tickets inside, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Agreed on all counts. Also how about supporters keeping ticket stubs and whoever goes to most games gets first refusal.<snip>
    a loyalty card that you scan when entering a match would be a more workable option as how do you prove it was you who used those stubs, and that you arent just presenting a bunch of stubs from other people.

Practically you'd probably want to operate it on the same backend system as the season ticket, maybe even as a kindof pay as you go season ticket with a possiblilty to scan yourself in if using a ticket from another source.

It'd also then be possibly to allow "presale" for loyalty card holders similar to what the likes of U2 do with concerts to ensure that "fans" get first call on tickets before the regular public.

Also, if you bundled it with the season ticket management system you arent creating a paralell system but just extending an existing one.

For some who are serial match attenders but not necessarily of just your own county, a loyalty card would be exactly whats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

a loyalty card that you scan when entering a match would be a more workable option as how do you prove it was you who used those stubs, and that you arent just presenting a bunch of stubs from other people.

Practically you'd probably want to operate it on the same backend system as the season ticket, maybe even as a kindof pay as you go season ticket with a possiblilty to scan yourself in if using a ticket from another source.

It'd also then be possibly to allow "presale" for loyalty card holders similar to what the likes of U2 do with concerts to ensure that "fans" get first call on tickets before the regular public.

Also, if you bundled it with the season ticket management system you arent creating a paralell system but just extending an existing one.

For some who are serial match attenders but not necessarily of just your own county, a loyalty card would be exactly whats needed.

Have you not heard of the "Season Ticket"? It was first introduced in 2009. Dublin and Mayo are the only 2 counties to have completely sold out (around 5000 each, though difficult to confirm numbers)

There are going to be some very serious issues on Saturday.

I've just received my four tickets for the Hill, they came with 8 replicas... same ticket numbers etc. There will be uproar and worse case... a serious overcrowding incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I've just received my four tickets for the Hill, they came with 8 replicas... same ticket numbers etc. There will be uproar and worse case... a serious overcrowding incident.

If this is happening, are they selling the same tickets to two or more different people? if that is the case there will be absolute chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Surely the tickets will only scan once so it dosent matter how many replicas you get. Only the first ticket scanned will get in.

• Advertisement

omega666 wrote: »
    Surely the tickets will only scan once so it dosent matter how many replicas you get. Only the first ticket scanned will get in.

Well in that case there will be chaos at the turnstiles... I'm sure some idiots will be selling on their real second or third tickets.

How do you turn someone away with a real ticket?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement