Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ireland v Wales [2.30pm 29/08/15 Aviva Stadium] Guinness Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Anyone know if tickets can be purchased at the ground, including child tkts?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Manuel wrote: »
    Thanks!
    You can buy tickets online from ticketmaster who have a facility whereby they will email you them immediately so you can print out at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I hope the ref clamps down on Lydiates bs knee tackles and we wont have a repeat of the 6 nations.

twinytwo wrote: »
    I hope the ref clamps down on Lydiates bs knee tackles and we wont have a repeat of the 6 nations.

Thought Hibbard went for the same against Heaslip two weeks ago. Looked cynical to me in anycase but ref didn't look at it.

Is it just in my mind or are Wales generally a more cynical team? Loads of cheap shots come to mind, Williams on Jackson another example. Thought Falatau destroying Jean De Villiars knee was again a clear out almost designed to injure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

George North becomes the youngest ever player to reach 50 international caps aged 23 and 5ish months.

Assuming he manages to avoid any more head injuries he's probably the player most likely to eventually catch up to Richie McCaw's record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

George North becomes the youngest ever player to reach 50 international caps aged 23 and 5ish months.

Assuming he manages to avoid any more head injuries he's probably the player most likely to eventually catch up to Richie McCaw's record?
    I'd be shocked if he does to be honest I could see those concussions having serious consequences outside of rugby never mind playing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Thought Hibbard went for the same against Heaslip two weeks ago. Looked cynical to me in anycase but ref didn't look at it.

Is it just in my mind or are Wales generally a more cynical team? Loads of cheap shots come to mind, Williams on Jackson another example. Thought Falatau destroying Jean De Villiars knee was again a clear out almost designed to injure.
    Gatland.

Anybody have any recommendations of where to watch this today in town (dublin)?, getting a bit tired of my usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm not putting the mockers on him and I wish him the absolute best in his career but there is simply no way that George North won't be forcibly retired due to repeated concussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Assuming the tackle isn't late, what can the ref do about it?

(I think you're thinking of Lydiate's tackle on Murray, wasn't that for Ospreys? That was a bit late alright)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

nerd69 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he does to be honest I could see those concussions having serious consequences outside of rugby never mind playing
    Teferi wrote: »
    I'm not putting the mockers on him and I wish him the absolute best in his career but there is simply no way that George North won't be forcibly retired due to repeated concussions.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's a shame really because he could have wracked up a serious number of caps, potentially 10 more years of playing. As you say though it's highly unlikely he won't get another knock at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Manuel wrote: »
    Thanks!

At the Scotland game you could buy tickets on the day in the ballsbridge hotel, maybe give them a ring to check

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Assuming the tackle isn't late, what can the ref do about it?

(I think you're thinking of Lydiate's tackle on Murray, wasn't that for Ospreys? That was a bit late alright)

watch this years 6 nations game against wales again.. lydiate drives his shoulder through the knee of 4/5 different irish players during the game.. in so called "tackles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

watch this years 6 nations game against wales again.. lydiate drives his shoulder through the knee of 4/5 different irish players during the game.. in so called "tackles".

I know the tactic, but is it against the rules? ie how can the ref crack down on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, since when is targeting players legs against the rules? Your generally told to go low in the tackle, only the most athletic it strongest players can tackle high.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know the tactic, but is it against the rules? ie how can the ref crack down on it?

I don't know the specific tackles that twinytwo is referring to but I have noticed for a number of Lydiate's chop tackles, there is no effort to wrap. It's not so noticeable as they're to the legs rather than high hits/shoulder charges. However, as he's launching himself like a missile at someone's joints, it should be watched out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They're in the process of making it entirely illegal (it's already illegal in other sports like the NFL because it's very dangerous).

However what Lydiate does is on the borderline of legality, the majority of the time he's entirely legal. An Argentine player was sinbinned for a chop tackle against Ireland on our summer tour last year after Schmidt highlighted the legality/danger of those tackles before the game. Lydiate mostly wraps though making the tackle legal, although he gets away with a lot of them where he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As an aside I really hope we see Lydiate start to play again like he did in 2012. If he can get back to that level he's one of the best defensive players in the world.

Half not looking forward to this. Should be a great game, but filled with dread we lose someone to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Half not looking forward to this. Should be a great game, but filled with dread we lose someone to injury.

I'd say an injury is almost a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Agree. Especially McGrath Heaslip SOB Murray Sexton and Henshaw, the 6 essential players IMO (McGrath because of Healy uncertainty)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My little daughter is todays Mascot. Lets hope she does not do a runner :-O

She lives with a life threatening disorder & she told me she can't wait to meet "The Hunks"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

connachta wrote: »
    Agree. Especially McGrath Heaslip SOB Murray Sexton and Henshaw, the 6 essential players IMO (McGrath because of Healy uncertainty)

POC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Knine wrote: »
    My little daughter is todays Mascot. Lets hope she does not do a runner :-O

She lives with a life threatening disorder & she told me she can't wait to meet "The Hunks"

Cool best of luck to her!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've a spare ticket if anyone wants to pm me

I know it's late but if you are short feel free

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've a spare ticket if anyone wants to pm me

I know it's late but if you are short feel free

Why, is it a restricted view seat? :pac:

Edit: That sounded a lot funnier in my head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Peregrine wrote: »
    Why, is it a restricted view seat? :pac:

I found someone for it. mean short a seat lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Zzippy wrote: »
    POC?

I knew someone would notice this absence, but tbf I think the gap between him and his subsitutes is a bit smaller than for the 6 guys I quoted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I found someone for it. mean short a seat lol

Ah, fair play. I was only trying to be a smart arse :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

connachta wrote: »
    I knew someone would notice this absence, but tbf I think the gap between him and his subsitutes is a bit smaller than for the 6 guys I quoted

Debatable, but the gap between him as a leader and pretty much anyone else is huge. We really need him fit and playing for the big games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I feel guilty that I don't want Nathan White to do well today.

Marty Moore could be back by the time we meet the serious teams. I'd really prefer him coming on in the 60th minute v [insert SH team or France here]

Advertisement