Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ireland v Wales [2.30pm 29/08/15 Aviva Stadium] Guinness Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

shuffol wrote: »
    I'd certainly have McGrath over Jenkins who's nowhere near the player he once was.

I think the comparisons should be against their direct opponents.
    White v Jenkins. White every time these days. Gethin has been carded a lot recently for duff scrummaging.
    McGrath v. Francis is an unknown. Francis has been very good and very bad in the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sensitive1960

jacothelad wrote: »
    I think the comparisons should be against their direct opponents.
    White v Jenkins. White every time these days. Gethin has been carded a lot recently for duff scrummaging.
    McGrath v. Francis is an unknown. Francis has been very good and very bad in the same game.

In the same way compare North v DK and Cuthbert v Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stheno wrote: »
    Is anyone else dreading the thoughts of him getting a knock to the head tomorrow?

I think it's def something a lot of people will be conscious of all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Akrasia wrote: »
    I wonder will Rob Kearney pass the ball to his brother more often than to Keith Earls given that they're both competing for one of the final places on the world cup panel

It's be interesting to see if this is a thing..

Actually, it's Rob Kearney so he'll probably just kick chase the ball to himself all day.

Actually thats a good point. He very rarely passes the ball. And i cant remember the last time i saw him throw a pass out after fielding a clearance/territory kick. Under JS instruction of course.
    Making try scoring opportunities out of turnover ball is something i'd like to see from Ireland in the early pool games (& hopefully 2morrow). The further we get at the RWC the more likely it is we will have to chase a score at some point.
    the last turnover try i remeber was this one in Paris

Which was set up by Kearney running a knock on back, and presenting the ball back on a plate at the base of a ruck.
    Joe u legend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

molloyjh wrote: »

I wonder will he? He must know that another concussion could spell the end of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I like what you did there.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

rrpc wrote: »
    He gave Tipuric the nod against Jordi Parity wass writen too

The head to head with props is based on their individual skillsets and not who their actual opposite number in the scrum is. If you were going down that route, you'd also be matching blindside and openside flankers.

TH vs LH is a more concrete and regular face to face than openside vs blindside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now, exclusively on Connachta's chanel head to head of the unfairly ousted SHs : Marmion vs Phillips:pac:

Hold on guys, just kidding, relax:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

connachta wrote: »
    Parity wass writen too
    By Venjur. TRoL just changed the results he didn't alter the comments.
    connachta wrote: »
    TH vs LH is a more concrete and regular face to face than openside vs blindside
    It is as is 10 to 12 or 10 to 7 but these 'head to heads' are merely comparisons of a player's strengths against an opposition player in the same position to evaluate the strengths of a team against its opposition.

It's hardly a scientific exercise because so much is left out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Actually thats a good point. He very rarely passes the ball. And i cant remember the last time i saw him throw a pass out after fielding a clearance/territory kick. Under JS instruction of course.
    Making try scoring opportunities out of turnover ball is something i'd like to see from Ireland in the early pool games (& hopefully 2morrow). The further we get at the RWC the more likely it is we will have to chase a score at some point.
    the last turnover try i remeber was this one in Paris

Which was set up by Kearney running a knock on back, and presenting the ball back on a plate at the base of a ruck.
    Joe u legend:)

Trimble botched that so badly, was something you;d expect earls to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Aye. Would have been nice symmetry if he manged to hold the pass a bit longer and put BOD over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Aye. Would have been nice symmetry if he manged to hold the pass a bit longer and put BOD over.

I thought at the time he was guilty of being so determind to put BOD in that it made it easier for the defender to read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I miss BOD :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd be interested to hear from our pennybont exile about his expectations for the match, hope he checks in pre-kickoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Front row battle interesting me the most tomorrow, White for a good showing, loved him at Leinster.

Schmidt is definitely testing the mettle of our midfield, looking for damage from Henshaw and thinking from Fitzy.

Great to have a match of this quality on a dry summer field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Front row battle interesting me the most tomorrow, White for a good showing, loved him at Leinster.

Schmidt is definitely testing the mettle of our midfield, looking for damage from Henshaw and thinking from Fitzy.

Great to have a match of this quality on a dry summer field.

Have you seen the forecast? Or the "summer" we've had... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you seen the forecast? Or the "summer" we've had... ;)

I know, but the pattern all week has been dry on the Dublin coast until 4/5 pm and I think we'll see more of the same, fairly fresh but dry thanks to the early kick-off

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Excellent write up. Even has me considering buying an overpriced ticket for this one!
    They're cheap as chips on toutless!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    I thought at the time he was guilty of being so determind to put BOD in that it made it easier for the defender to read.

Yeah looking back at it now he never takes his eyes of bod, he was always gonna pass so made it easy for the defender.

Still the initial break is a beauty. Lovely acceleration into the turned player.

Outstanding write up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I'd be interested to hear from our pennybont exile about his expectations for the match, hope he checks in pre-kickoff.
    Checking in .......

This is still the phoney war as far as I'm concerned. Saying that I'm looking forward to the game. Taking my six year old daughter for her first experience of international rugby.

Expecting solid performances from both teams. Will be looking to see how Francis goes in his first outing. Also Tipuric who I think may have a big part to play in the tournament. For me it's performance over result - though a win would be nice ....... Six year old girls are fickle so that might get her off the fence.

As an ex fly-half I'm also looking forward to seeing the continued evolution of our halfbacks who I think are really looking good and are a match for their opponents tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'd imagine given the strength of your group, Tipuric might start two of the matches, would be hard to imagine warburton starting except against England and Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

stephen_n wrote: »
    I'd imagine given the strength of your group, Tipuric might start two of the matches, would be hard to imagine warburton starting except against England and Oz.
    Tipuric IMO has a big role to play against England & Australia off the bench.

Especially against England .... If we get parity in the set piece we have the players to beat them on the ground.

Tipuric IMO has a big role to play against England & Australia off the bench.

Especially against England .... If we get parity in the set piece we have the players to beat them on the ground.

As much as I agree with you, I'm not sure Gatland would, barring injury I'd assume Warburton will play the 80 in both of those games. England are vulnerable on the ground though and maybe Gatland will try exploit that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Stupid question perhaps but the one-sidedness of the first Wales match got me thinking. Just suppose Ireland completely dominate the first half today would it ever happen that they would change their tactics for the second half to allow the other side have the ball, thus getting in some defensive practice? Or are attacking manoeuvres always the priority?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I don't think that would happen in an international match to be honest. You've guys playing for places on the squad and they want to impress, can't see them easing up in attack at all, that's what the training ground is for. But its an interesting thought though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Hermy wrote: »
    Stupid question perhaps but the one-sidedness of the first Wales match got me thinking. Just suppose Ireland completely dominate the first half today would it ever happen that they would change their tactics for the second half to allow the other side have the ball, thus getting in some defensive practice? Or are attacking manoeuvres always the priority?

Declan kidney tried that in cardiff 2013

Defense and attack are not really separate, how we defened and how we manage the ball are closely linked, changing the tactics to let them attack us wouldn't help our defense, it would just show us what happens if we fail to execute the gameplan. Plus what happened in Wales will have no bearing on today, as the welsh team is immeasurably better than the team we faced in Cardiff.

If we dominate the first half, in the second half we'll look to completely punch their lights out and put down a big marker before the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wang King wrote: »
    ...You've guys playing for places on the squad and they want to impress...

I forgot about that!:eek:

Not that I expect a one-sided affair today - just wondering about how a coach best utilises the warm up matches if they happen to be a bit one-sided.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement