Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

i think the tops of the cooley mountains might get a covering on friday nite. hope so as i might be on a nite hike :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Dunno what charts you've been looking at. :confused:
    Just because it doesn't look to be a widespread snow event doesn't mean it wont be a cold snap.

T850s Friday night has -8 covering a good portion of the country
    nmmuk-16-62-0_wqk1.png

That chart gives me goosebumps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That chart gives me goosebumps :eek:

Same here :D

But I have this :mad: on me because of the high pressure from an actual MILD ATLANTIC! will warm things up.

Oh jesus, a high pressure giving warmer conditions near Winter time? This is surely very unseasonable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How different has this Autumn been to last year? Well here are my characteristics of the weather of each month during said Autumns

September
    • Driest September on record
    • Relatively sunny
    • Very mild overall (not particularly warm)
    October
    • Rather wet overall
    • Mainly sunny
    • Exceptionally warm at times, particularly at the end
    November
    • Exceptionally wet, particularly mid-month
    • A little milder than normal overall
    • Relatively sunny

September
    • Heavy rainfall on individual days
    • Very sunny, particularly towards the end
    • Exceptionally cold

October
    • Driest October since 2007
    • Relatively sunny
    • Relatively cool

November so far
    • Very wet
    • Relatively sunny - only marginally
    • Unseasonably warm (see I didn't say "mild")

So yeah, both Autumns share some characteristics but overall, NO, both are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good stuff Sryanbruen thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not very scientific.. but God it's gone cold all of a sudden .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not very scientific.. but God it's gone cold all of a sudden .

Nah not yet, but go for a walk tomorrow evening and then you'll feel proper cold. :P

30-290UK_whr5.GIF

The rain on Saturday could well be followed by temperatures getting down to 0 in the east on Saturday night/Sunday morning which could lead to very dicey driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Will there be much rain forecast on saturday Maq? and is there much rain on the horizon for next week, have an outside job that needs doing

Will there be much rain forecast on saturday Maq? and is there much rain on the horizon for next week, have an outside job that needs doing

Looks like being mostly dry in the east, just showers, then a band of rain on Monday, mid-week should be a bit drier, probably turning wetter then after that but it's hard to forecast rain in this country beyond a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Nah not yet, but go for a walk tomorrow evening and then you'll feel proper cold. :P

30-290UK_whr5.GIF

The rain on Saturday could well be followed by temperatures getting down to 0 in the east on Saturday night/Sunday morning which could lead to very dicey driving conditions.

Surely this rain could turn wintry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is the latest GFS showing possible snow clipping the east coast on Friday night? Maybe high ground could get a dusting if it goes inland a bit?

Rtavn361.gif

Rtavn364.gif

Rtavn3617.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Friday night until early Saturday morning if any, mainly in the north/north east... Showers mostly so watch the radar. :)

That's windchill on Friday evening. Wintry showers Friday evening until Saturday morning, milder air then so showers turning back to rain Saturday afternoon before it gets drier for a while.

That's windchill on Friday evening. Wintry showers Friday evening until Saturday morning, milder air then so showers turning back to rain Saturday afternoon before it gets drier for a while.
    For the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It'll be hard for the showers to make as far as the greater Dublin region in a NW airflow. They nearly always die out As soon as the hit the Meath/Dublin border... believe me lol

369067.png

Still a chance though i guess...
    369068.png

Once the flow turns straight north i doubt we will see any showers from there on for here.

Best areas to see a nice dusting is inland areas of the N, NW and Inland/boarder counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport TAF (avaition forecast) has showers of Rain/Snow from 4pm-6pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Looks pretty certain that a polar low will affect northern Scotland tomorrow afternoon. The Hirlam has it perfectly simulated, with a warm core showing on theta-e and sustained surface winds of up to 90 kph and 925 hPa winds of 120-130 kph on its western flank. T500 of near -40 °C means it well above the threshold of at least 43 degrees colder than the sea-surface. Lower levels may be too warm for snow at sea-level but further inland towards Tain Range (EGQA) we could see some action before it dissipates towards evening.

hirlamuk-5-24-0_jvq5.png
    hirlamuk-21-24-0_aks1.png
    hirlamuk-3-25-0_jne8.png
    hirlamuk-8-24-0_nek7.png
    hirlamuk-1-24-0_jgb3.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    uek6w.jpg

Haha

• Advertisement

Lows of 6-9c according to Met Eireann
    At 19:00 it was 3c in Knock. At 19:30 it was 6c in Dublin.
    Should we be expecting a cold night?

Should a new thread be made for this weekends cold snap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Should a new thread be made for this weekends cold snap?

Why? There is nothing exciting or exceptional forecast. Its late November in Ireland.

Why? There is nothing exciting or exceptional forecast. Its late November in Ireland.

Ino Ino, just saying just extremely cold conditions

Ino Ino, just saying just extremely cold conditions

Extremely being possibly -2/-3?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Extremely being possibly -2/-3?

Windchill

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Just recently moved to Aberdeen. Looking forward to maybe getting in on some action over the weekend. Anyone any idea what I can expect up here. A trip to Braemar over the weekend could be fun.

I think the HIRLAM is being a bit optimistic here but it's showing snow showers tomorrow night managing to hold out all the way down to the south coast giving a dusting to various places, on high ground at least. I think that's an optimistic picture but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Parts of Scotland should get a nice bit of snow though, and with strong winds there could be some drifting on high ground.

hirlamuk-45-42-0_pna8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Cornilius wrote: »
    Just recently moved to Aberdeen. Looking forward to maybe getting in on some action over the weekend. Anyone any idea what I can expect up here. A trip to Braemar over the weekend could be fun.
    listen..moving to Aberdeen. .getting in on some action..I hope your on about a bit of dodgy weather rather that mutton molesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It has to be said the whole event has downgraded significantly.
    It's barely a toppler now with about 12 hours of proper cold.

Might deliver a few flakes this evening other than that NEXT!

Advertisement