Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Are you saying they were duller than this Nov, or just duller than normal. Most of those months (except Jan 2013 which I remember as being ****e) are summer or Spring months.

It's the dullness that annoys me btw. Don't mind a storm.

Yeah let me go through them all in a PM since this is off topic to the thread - in case I was going to annoy anybody or any moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grange's summary for Autumn 2015

Wet and cool but sunny.

Rainfall: Wettest Autumn in 13 years. November particularly drenched.
    Rainfall total of 234.1mm was 122% of the LTA and it was my wettest Autumn since 2002. Rainfall throughout the season was very unevenly distributed. September's above average total was due to high falls of rain on individual days {11th, 13th and 21st}. October was very dry, largely due to the dry spell from the 7th-20th which recorded only 0.2mm of rainfall. The 27th was the only very wet day of this month with nearly 15mm. November, meanwhile, recorded 4 very wet days with the 18th recording the second highest daily fall of the season with 25.8mm but the highest was 27.2mm on September 13th. Coincidentally with both of these was that both high daily falls were recorded in a short space of time and therefore caused severe flooding. Overall, there were 4 different wet spells during the season, September 11th-24th, October 5th-6th, 21st-30th and November 4th-30th. This brought about 50 wet days which was my highest for Autumn since 2000 despite the October dry spell. Overall, September was the wettest since 1999, October was the driest since 2007 and November was the wettest since 2002. In the last ten years, over 4 of my wettest Autumns on record have been recorded.

Temperature: Relatively cold. Coldest Autumn since 1993.
    Mean temperature was 9.5c and was only, -0.1c below the average of 9.6c. In spite of the small margin difference, it was still my coldest Autumn since 1993 comparing with recent warm Autumns of 2011, 2013 and 2014. September was a very cold month with maximum temperatures some of the lowest on record and minimum temperatures the lowest since 2012. September overall was -1.9c below the LTA and was my coldest on record with only 9.5c, compared to the average of 11.4c. October was milder but still colder than normal with -0.3c below the LTA and was my coldest since 1992 with 9.8c. In my records, October was never warmer than September before. November, meanwhile, was exceptionally mild and it was my fifth warmest November on record, beaten by 1994, 2011, 2007 and 2001. November recorded a mean temperature of 9.3c which was +2.4c above the LTA. My maximum of 20.1c on September 8th was my highest Autumn temperature since 2011 whilst my maximum of 18.4c on November 1st was my highest for November on record. My minimum of -1.7c on November 21st was my lowest for Autumn since 2010. I had a total of 5 frosts, well below the average for Autumn of 11 frosts.

Sunshine: Sunniest Autumn since 2010. Very sunny September.
    Sunshine total of 321 hours was 120% of the LTA and was quite a large contrast with many Irish stations. This was largely due to a very sunny September (more likely very sunny period 26th-30th towards the end of the month) which was my second sunniest on record with 140% of the LTA. October was relatively sunny with 106% of the LTA and wasn't anything remarkable. November, meanwhile, was duller than normal with 93% of the LTA and was my first dull November in 8 years. Overall, I recorded 8 dull days, around average - days with 0 hours. Autumn wasn't particularly remarkable for sunshine despite the sunny September. I had my highest daily sunshine on September 8th with 12.1 hours - my sunniest Autumn day since 2010. I recorded my second sunniest October day on record on the 1st with 10.2 hours. I recorded 7.1 hours on November 1st - my sunniest November day since 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Grange's summary for Autumn 2015

Wet and cool but sunny.

Rainfall: Wettest Autumn in 13 years. November particularly drenched.
    Rainfall total of 234.1mm was 122% of the LTA and it was my wettest Autumn since 2002. Rainfall throughout the season was very unevenly distributed. September's above average total was due to high falls of rain on individual days {11th, 13th and 21st}. October was very dry, largely due to the dry spell from the 7th-20th which recorded only 0.2mm of rainfall. The 27th was the only very wet day of this month with nearly 15mm. November, meanwhile, recorded 4 very wet days with the 18th recording the second highest daily fall of the season with 25.8mm but the highest was 27.2mm on September 13th. Coincidentally with both of these was that both high daily falls were recorded in a short space of time and therefore caused severe flooding. Overall, there were 4 different wet spells during the season, September 11th-24th, October 5th-6th, 21st-30th and November 4th-30th. This brought about 50 wet days which was my highest for Autumn since 2000 despite the October dry spell. Overall, September was the wettest since 1999, October was the driest since 2007 and November was the wettest since 2002. In the last ten years, over 4 of my wettest Autumns on record have been recorded.

Temperature: Relatively cold. Coldest Autumn since 1993.
    Mean temperature was 9.5c and was only, -0.1c below the average of 9.6c. In spite of the small margin difference, it was still my coldest Autumn since 1993 comparing with recent warm Autumns of 2011, 2013 and 2014. September was a very cold month with maximum temperatures some of the lowest on record and minimum temperatures the lowest since 2012. September overall was -1.9c below the LTA and was my coldest on record with only 9.5c, compared to the average of 11.4c. October was milder but still colder than normal with -0.3c below the LTA and was my coldest since 1992 with 9.8c. In my records, October was never warmer than September before. November, meanwhile, was exceptionally mild and it was my fifth warmest November on record, beaten by 1994, 2011, 2007 and 2001. November recorded a mean temperature of 9.3c which was +2.4c above the LTA. My maximum of 20.1c on September 8th was my highest Autumn temperature since 2011 whilst my maximum of 18.4c on November 1st was my highest for November on record. My minimum of -1.7c on November 21st was my lowest for Autumn since 2010. I had a total of 5 frosts, well below the average for Autumn of 11 frosts.

Sunshine: Sunniest Autumn since 2010. Very sunny September.
    Sunshine total of 321 hours was 120% of the LTA and was quite a large contrast with many Irish stations. This was largely due to a very sunny September (more likely very sunny period 26th-30th towards the end of the month) which was my second sunniest on record with 140% of the LTA. October was relatively sunny with 106% of the LTA and wasn't anything remarkable. November, meanwhile, was duller than normal with 93% of the LTA and was my first dull November in 8 years. Overall, I recorded 8 dull days, around average - days with 0 hours. Autumn wasn't particularly remarkable for sunshine despite the sunny September. I had my highest daily sunshine on September 8th with 12.1 hours - my sunniest Autumn day since 2010. I recorded my second sunniest October day on record on the 1st with 10.2 hours. I recorded 7.1 hours on November 1st - my sunniest November day since 2011.

This is really interesting reading Sryanbruen. You're like a professor of the weather. Clear dedication to something you love so much. :)

Advertisement