Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pauldry wrote: »
    Imagine if we just had mild wet windy weather every week

We dont

We get something like

2 snow days
    10 frost days
    8 mild sunny days
    15 wet days
    15 cloudy days
    6 storms
    20 showery days
    10 hail shower day
    4 sunny windy days

I didn't know there were that many days in the week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭pauldry

I didn't know there were that many days in the week :p

There are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Look like those of us who urged caution and were sceptical about any cold snowy weather coming before the end of November are going to be right.

In fairness tho, you could predict that the next 50 Novembers will have no snow event and you'd be right at least 40 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nabber wrote: »
    In fairness tho, you could predict that the next 50 Novembers will have no snow event and you'd be right at least 40 times.

That's kinda my point tbh. Peoples predictions on here can often be based on " a feeling" they have.

That's kinda my point tbh. Peoples predictions on here can often be based on " a feeling" they have.

So if people didnt predict based on a feeling they have boards weather would be empty. The sports section of the newspaper would be empty. There would be no weather websites no gfs charts etc. No chat in pubs about things in the future, no bookies (no harm)..let people enjoy their feelings.

And another thing isnt it exciting seeing the snow prediction rollercoaster even if its mostly wrong. I personally think therel be a white Christmas based on a feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really hope that storm on Sunday does not happen, i'll be landing back in Dublin Airport around 11.30pm Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Nabber wrote: »

In the forecast competition I forecast no snow in November - but it looks like a few flakes in Mullingar the other day will have me wrong :(

pauldry wrote: »
    So if people didnt predict based on a feeling they have boards weather would be empty. The sports section of the newspaper would be empty. There would be no weather websites no gfs charts etc. No chat in pubs about things in the future, no bookies (no harm)..let people enjoy their feelings.

And another thing isnt it exciting seeing the snow prediction rollercoaster even if its mostly wrong. I personally think therel be a white Christmas based on a feeling.
    How you can compare the sports pages of a paper to the subject matter here is incredible. Although to be fair some of the stuff "predicted" here is akin to Longford Town beating Barcelona in its probability. There are son excellent forecasters here who apply science and knowledge to their forecasts and generates interesting and informative debate. I was merely pointing out that people predicting snow on a feeling is a bit absurd. I have a feeling it will be 20,degrees in Ireland on Christmas morning based on a hunch.

Still looks like a brief period of wintry showers possible Friday evening, though mostly if not completely restricted to high ground.

QcSFcix.png
    vOjEEcH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Continued signal for a monster Low to form in the north Atlantic around Sunday...

Look at this ensemble member!

gens-7-1-138.png

Is this low still a possibility or has it disappeared from the charts?

• Advertisement

Is this low still a possibility or has it disappeared from the charts?

No monster north atlantic low on Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's how Autumn has been so far for Grange, has it been like this for you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's how Autumn has been so far for Grange, has it been like this for you? :rolleyes:

Nice chart. Confirms how miserable, wet and warm this month has been. Also max daily temps were very consistent there for end Sept, October and half of November. No significant long term drop until this last week.

I find it interesting how last November (2014) was wetter than this November but this November has had twice as many wet days ;). Compare it with Autumn 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone have a wind comparison for Dublin this year vs last?

Nice chart. Confirms how miserable, wet and warm this month has been. Also max daily temps were very consistent there for end Sept, October and half of November. No significant long term drop until this last week.

Thank you. And yes, we can blame November's miserable weather on our good ol' friend, the jetstream :D

Incredibly mild this morning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I find it interesting how last November (2014) was wetter than this November but this November has had twice as many wet days ;). Compare it with Autumn 2014!

We have had the reverse in Castlebar, so far we have had 269.1mm of rain in November, that is nearly twice as much last year, we are actually on track to have the wettest year since 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

15 degrees in the car earlier had to put on the air conditioning
    Incredibly mild

How you can compare the sports pages of a paper to the subject matter here is incredible. Although to be fair some of the stuff "predicted" here is akin to Longford Town beating Barcelona in its probability. There are son excellent forecasters here who apply science and knowledge to their forecasts and generates interesting and informative debate. I was merely pointing out that people predicting snow on a feeling is a bit absurd. I have a feeling it will be 20,degrees in Ireland on Christmas morning based on a hunch.

Its on...lets see whos closer

Prob will be 10c and wel declare a draw.

Mines based on a 5 feeling ...snowed around Christmas in 1995 2000 2010 not sure 2005 so why not 2015....n a wish

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    We have had the reverse in Castlebar, so far we have had 269.1mm of rain in November, that is nearly twice as much last year, we are actually on track to have the wettest year since 1999.

2015 has been an exceptionally wet year for me too.

March, May, July, August, September and November all wetter than normal so far

Significant wet months:

May - wettest on record - one of the poorest months I have ever seen with only one Summer-like day (23rd)
    July - again one of the poorest months I have ever seen - only good day was the 3rd
    November

Autumn - since this is the AUTUMN WEATHER forum, it has been wetter than normal with 111% of the LTA. Though rainfall has been very unevenly distributed throughout the season. September 11th and 13th recorded very heavy daily falls with more than 20mm and so did November 18th. October was very dry overall and most of September was dry and sunny. November has been a very unsettled month however. It has been such an unusual Autumn - that's all I can say! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Sunday looks stormy across the NW according to gfs

Sunday looks stormy across the NW according to gfs

Sunday looks like it could be a windy day. Possibly Wednesday too but too soon to say.

Autumn in Sligo

September a lot of dry sometimes sunny days. Some rain 12-14 around 35mm other isolated wet days

October 3 days of air frost -2c at markree
    Lots of dry weather for first 20 days then some rain

November very mild indeed with 17c on Nov 1st and also near midmonth. Temps dropped back a bit in part 2. Dry first half relative to normal. Excessive rainfall since 10th. Weekend of 14th - 16th 75mm of rain as garavogue burst its banks. One sleety snow shower for 5 mins on friday 20th November

Looking windy maybe stormy at times on the ECM.

Sunday :

ZU6ccSQ.png

Monday :

IYq7XCq.png

Wednesday :

Dz2a5br.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cold air digging in now. 2c, with sleet, being reported at Knock AP at 1330

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »

You can feel it in the air alright

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yeah you can see the difference with the DP being 0 now on the west coast while still 6 in the southeast.

rZGlL7m.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Hit 4 degress in the car at lunchtime. Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential hail fall in Castlebar at the moment, it is white outside.

Advertisement