Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 don_juan

Some great memories coming back reading this thread. Went to college 00-04 in Dublin close to city centre; a daunting enough experience for an innocent 17 year old culchie but didnt take long for a gang of us to learn the ropes! Started off with the Temple Theater and The Palace; Peigs used to be the spot for a monday night, you couldnt (or could!) go wrong with £1 a drink in that place.. Fireworks was mental back in those days on a thursday night. Spirit in Abbey Street was an adventure for a while; Redz was a great place, Boomerang, Break for the border, Mono on Camden Street, Tramco's, Q-Bar, Portobello and of course who could forget Quinns and The Big Tree...🙂 Dublin was such a great place to go to college, somewhere to go every night and you could avoid someone very easily if you had to😋

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

good pub Monday to Wednesday / Thursday, otherwise it was rammed and zero comfort …. Not saying it was illegally packed just no comfort in it.

Also some of the more casual staff were pure crap, just firing drinks out at whomever…. No logic to who got served first with them..

full time lot were grand…..one of the best barmen I’ve encountered anywhere and by what I’m seeing on social media he is still working there.

Next time I’m free of an afternoon in the city I might pop in for a look see. Wonder if Louis Fitzgerald and co. have changed much about it since the takeover.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

And we never heard of substantial meals again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Probably my favorite pub in Dublin back around 2004 to 2007, weekends could get busy but always had a good mixed crowd and good music. Then you walk around the corner to Nassau street and the price of a pint jumped by a euro, horrible places (apart from the small Ron Blacks).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought Boomerang's was the basement bar in the Stephen's Green centre opposite the Gaeity? Called Major Tom's either before or after that?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Went there regularly in early 00s, snooker tables were in the back not upstairs (maybe there was upstairs as well? but I thought that was the nightclub part) but yes you could phone in a pint. They had a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire quiz machine which didn't last long, I always made a substantial profit on it 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No. Boomerang was in Temple Bar under Buskers as OP said. It was part of a hotel setup, can’t remember name of hotel, could still be there for all I know, never go to Temple bar 🤣

I remember those machines. Think there was one in Cassidys on Camden Street… up that area somewhere anyway which I also made profits on 😎

Speaking of Snooker tables. Who remembers Ricardos? It was not a bar, but it became a bar. A crap one 🤣 the Palace on Camden street.

Ricardos was just a snooker hall but it was class. There was many many college lunch breaks spent in The Commitments rehearsal studio.

and then there was the hideout???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

They had snooker tables with the biggest holes in Dublin. You could make great breaks, but it always felt like cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is or at least was two; MJ's as you mentioned and Syynott's. In the 00's Tom's became victim of the theme bar virus, and became Major Toms Down Under, loosely aiming itself at the city's burgeoning Antipodean and Afrikaan community. It did well with live bands and sport for a time but what killed it was the fact that it couldn't stay open all night showing test cricket or footie from the Wakka even if there was a call for it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭griffin100

In the 90’s we used to go to a snooker club called The Mint after head banging all night in Fibber Magees. We’d play pool until the morning. You had to knock on the door and show your face to be let in. It was full of dodgy looking blokes and there would be taxi drivers playing cards with huge piles of cash on the table. I remember when the JFK aircraft carrier was in port it was full of tarts and American sailors!! They used to serve cans of beer from a long fridge that was turned in to face the wall and had wallpaper on its sides and back so when pushed into position you wouldn’t know it was there.

Edit: I googled it and found

Spent many an hour in Ricardo's when I should have been at lectures, Hideout too. They had some decent arcade machines as well, a sit-in Out Run and Wonder Boy which I got pretty good on

The rehearsal studio in the Commitments was the upstairs part, still not open to the public afaik

Licensing laws in this country are f**ked, as an adult I should be able to go for a drink at any time I choose. Very few pubs would want to stay open very late/early(!) but some would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And we keep hearing about the "Give us the night" license overhaul....but where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Which reminds me, anybody remember early houses in Dublin?

Was one on North King Street and another near the North Star Hotel, opposite Connolly station. Think they opened about 7 in the morning.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vallence and McGraths, on the quays near the Point \ 3Arena... was working in the area and locked out of office, went there one morning 9am - for coffees. Think one lad chanced a glass of something.

It is now Bottle Boy, but not an early opener.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder is it allowed anymore. Killybegs in Donegal used to have licences for all night, due to the fishing port.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Anyone remember the greystones theater, where you bought a ticket and drink was free all night? Also went on late due to the theatre licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I know a few have mentioned the Gaiety teathre. Went there a few times, it was great. If I remember correctly they use to have a movie playing in the teathre and you could sit in there snogging in comfort.😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anyone remember the nightclub called knightsbridge, it in the basement of the hotel on quays think it was called the Ashford Arms. It was a good cougar hang out spot

It's ridiculous. The economy is a lot more 24/7 than it was 100 years ago, but no more early licences can be granted and there's only a handful left, mostly in pretty dodgy houses tbh.

Went there on about the 4th or 5th date with my now wife 😁 didn't go off snogging in the auditorium though, was stuck in the bar with her friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just thinking back to Sir Henrys . The amount of times I escaped death and woke up in strange flats . Back in 90’s Cork a Monaghan accent was seemingly exotic though i used to say I was from Derry / Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It used to go to one in Cork , up Shandon St/ hill . Good spot . And another one Cork near a hospital .

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I used to go there when all the pool tables were upstairs.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

The Sackville in Dublin. I loved that Pub.

IF there is anyone from Thurles, is De Burca's still there. Had one of the best sessions ever in there.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The Tube disco on Parnell square also ran on the mid 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Early 90s Chicago Pizza Pie factory Stephen’s Green - basement bar and restaurant - it changed hands and renamed to something else and mainly a bar I think- was really popular too -I can’t remember to what though- any ideas what it was mid 90s?

Everytime someone left a tip they rang a bell - nice pizzas too for that time

Advertisement