Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperatures went from a low of 1.3C to 3.0C now, quite a rise, wonder if the same will happen further east as it clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

certainly on the rise across the country, up to 7 degrees now at Mace head and Sherkin. further west its colder and clearer with 0 degrees in Claremorris been the lowest at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

went to -1 at Claremorris

Is it possible that well ever see 24 hours of dry weather again :cool:

even frosts last only 3 or 4 hours nowadays

Since 2007 Ive noticed a huge trend toward Northwesterly flows or at least Atlantic Dominance. Id say most years from now on will be wetter than normal even if Ban Ke Moon moves the moon.

3 of the wettest Summers of all time in Dublin have been in 2007, 2008 and 2009

1858 or summit like that is by faR the wettest. What happened then. Did some potato farmer try drying his spuds but instead the hose went mental

In 7 minutes im checking if its still raining on met.ie then bed.

Until another day which has rain somewhere?

P.S. Since November 27 Sligo has had only one day with less than 1mm rainfall... and it had 0.9mm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I closed down around 4 pm, there was calm and sleet. Heavy "something" during the night so we shall see. Bitterly cold.

Shivers; reading met ie...serious shivers! There will be be some happy bunnies here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from the Wicklow mountains?, thinking of heading up to Glendalough with the little ones to make their first snowman.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Shivers; reading met ie...serious shivers! There will be be some happy bunnies here ;)

Read it again. You're lucky as Kerry is to be the warmest part of the country for the next few days, with temp up to 8 compared with 3 and 4 elsewhere.
    Wintery showers only and it won't lie, so rest easy.

The bunnies will have a bit of a wait yet - perhaps a little next Friday but negligible.

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from the Wicklow mountains?, thinking of heading up to Glendalough with the little ones to make their first snowman.

There was a small snow shower in Wicklow yesterday but not around Glendalough and it only lies as a skiff on very high ground now. Certainly not snowman weather yet unless you head for the sally gap which has snow right now and is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The hills near me are like Mt blanc inland above 500ft,thats S Wicklow
    Its an actual blanket which must be a couple of inches deep as yesterday those were grassy green fields
    Fair bit fell around Aughrim and Rathdrum too so you won't have to go far inland Id' say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Djouce looks to be blanketed. You can't see the specs of the rocks which is always a good sign. Head up to the luggala entrance and walk from there. Given the forecasts , this should last for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    It should be posted in meters and usually is, but some people are still stuck in the stone age *cough* DOCARCH's profile *cough* :p

I was taken aback by the use of feet here at times. One person mentioned their ASL and I thought 'wow, I didn't think many lived that high up here' until I saw an older post which specified it was feet not metres.

165m asl myself. It's high enough without saying I'm 540 asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

arctictree wrote: »
    Djouce looks to be blanketed. You can't see the specs of the rocks which is always a good sign. Head up to the luggala entrance and walk from there. Given the forecasts , this should last for a couple of weeks.
    reckon it'll hang around for the day? I'm thinkin of heading up in an hr or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its an actual blanket which must be a couple of inches deep as yesterday those were grassy green fields
    Fair bit fell around Aughrim and Rathdrum too so you won't have to go far inland Id' say

Cheers, we went up to Cruagh Wood in the end, was a few inches of wet snow up there which was plenty for tobogganing and making snowmen!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Very clear snowline up here; South Kerry mountains 400 asl. Same as in previous of my four winters up here and will be riveted to see it advance towards the house now.. Bitterly shockingly cold and worse to come, and anything falling now from the dense cloud cover will be frozen and stick. Challenging days ahead for many of us furwk7.jpg Robertkk all OK there?

Snowline here is about 6oo asl. South Kerry.. to the west and north higher peaks are thickly covered. Unless the snow comes to me I will not be following it..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    Snowline here is about 6oo asl. South Kerry.. to the west and north higher peaks are thickly covered. Unless the snow comes to me I will not be following it..;)

600Ft or m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Nice for the mountain goats amongst us over the coming few days but at ground level, a messy mix sunny weather cold showers and temps around 6-8 degrees. Frosty no doubt but nothing to float the boat for coldies. We'll see how next weekend develops, the models disagree widely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

We had a good 2 hours of heavy snow in sandyford last night. I've tried to upload photos of a good covering but PC isn't working at the moment and I can't seem to upload them from my iPhone or iPad. It didn't last because the ground was so wet but lots of excitement while it was happening as you can imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy this morning,heavy rain for hours yesterday into last night.Thanks to kneemos who originally posted it.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/547922/374303.jpg

Good bit of snow beyond the Viewpoint, going towards Glencree.

rkFXrrI.jpg?1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Was last nights rain forecast...don't remember seeing anything so bad in the forecasts. Flooding worst than anything this winter to date in north county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a heads up, Glen of Imaal MRT were up on the Sally Gap last night pulling people out. Conditions are still quite bad up there as of this morning.

WARNING: We have been advised by An Garda Siochana that the current snowy conditions have made both roads (R115 & R759) that cross the Sally Gap in Wicklow impassable. Warning signs are now up on the four approach roads as agreed with the Gardai and Wicklow County Council. For your own safety and the safety of others please do not ignore them. Use an alternative route until the signs come down. Thank you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Alun wrote: »
    WARNING: We have been advised by An Garda Siochana that the current snowy conditions have made both roads (R115 & R759) that cross the Sally Gap in Wicklow impassable. Warning signs are now up on the four approach roads as agreed with the Gardai and Wicklow County Council. For your own safety and the safety of others please do not ignore them. Use an alternative route until the signs come down. Thank you

I was up past Killakee earlier, on the road to Glencree. I did not get to far past Killakee, there was about 9 inches of snow up there...ended up turning around as the roads were getting tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Apparently mt Leinster is mayham at the min anybody heading up don't would be a good idea it would seem

https://www.facebook.com/WexfordWeather/posts/989560661150752

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow on Wicklow/Dublin Mountains showing up nicely on sat this afternoon.

http://en.sat24.com/en/zoom/eu/visual/948/854/?refspot=1

Dónal wrote: »
    Good bit of snow beyond the Viewpoint, going towards Glencree.

rkFXrrI.jpg?1.jpg

The skyscapes in all the photos are amazing and utterly beautiful. Full of life and change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Abit of dust on top of the Ox Mountains.

374325.jpg

Had to perform quick photo cleanup - hazy sunshine's no good in terms of visibility. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

No snow at the usual high spots outside drogheda and from the looks of it only a tiny cover of snow the very top of slieve foye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Typically cold January day. At least it was dry. A few days of this would be welcome. Although knowing our climate it wont be long before the wind and rain is back. Definitely feels a lot colder than at any point this winter so far although given the record breaking temperatures of December that's not saying anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Carnacalla wrote: »
    600Ft or m?

I think we clarified it in an earlier post its 400m. 400 ft is barely a sneeze.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement