Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

The only problem with this lovely clear, calm, sunny day is that it shows up my dirty windows!! Ah well, it's a bit chilly to go out and clean them ðŸ˜. Anyway if I did that it would be guaranteed to rain again tomorrow so they'll just have to stay dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Next week is going to be very cold at least at worst there will be hard frost in places. Some high ground will almost 100% see snow cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just in from a truly lovely day out. By the time the car was sorted the sky was clearing and I drove through bright sun, but in bitter cold. Calm, and still so all was reflected. All day there have been tantalising glimpses of some peaks heavily snowed but far away. Like a snow dream! I thought maybe the Kerry peaks seen on the Caha Pass, after the first tunnel but by the time I was there it was heavy rain and misted over...Maddening! The road was bad and still occasional sightings of snowy peaks in my peripheral vision. Even leaving the supermarket in Kenmare.. So I came home via Moll's Gap with some success and I know where the other peaks are but needed home before dark... So here are my small offerings of snow beauty.... The last ones are so atmospheric... dark clouds heavy with snow, brooding mountains, utter silence. The first onel what looks at first like white cloud is elusive white peaks... NB cannot get this one to resize 374149.jpeg Taken between Adrigole and Lauragh on the Beara road 2s8s9dd.jpg2ltsn82.jpg

Lumi; thanks.. been a long day and off to bed here and to get warm. Utter beauty all around all day.. drunk with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

We've had x2 power cuts today...each time there were huge anvil thunderheads to be seen in the sky to the west of us.
    Blitzkrieg lightning site said there was no strikes in Europe at all. So, am I missing something & can ye suggest a better site for lightning strikes? Assuming that's what caused the power cut both times. Off for 25 mins each time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

littlema wrote: »
    We've had x2 power cuts today...each time there were huge anvil thunderheads to be seen in the sky to the west of us.
    Blitzkrieg lightning site said there was no strikes in Europe at all. So, am I missing something & can ye suggest a better site for lightning strikes? Assuming that's what caused the power cut both times. Off for 25 mins each time.

Where ya located?

This site: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html? shows a couple of strikes today near coast on the Cork/Kerry border.

Edit: Those strikes were between midnight and 3am...no strikes showing up during the day (in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Lovely pictures Grace, delighted to view them and read your description of your trip. Very senic in good weather but more often than not its been in bad weather conditions I've driven that route.

Its a crisp clear evening in West Limerick and the stars look amazing with little or no light pollution to upset my viewing.

Down in the valley and on the hills on the other side, the lights of the various houses are twinkling. Its as if they are mirroring the carpet of stars above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just in from a truly lovely day out. By the time the car was sorted the sky was clearing and I drove through bright sun, but in bitter cold. Calm, and still so all was reflected. All day there have been tantalising glimpses of some peaks heavily snowed but far away. Like a snow dream! I thought maybe the Kerry peaks seen on the Caha Pass, after the first tunnel but by the time I was there it was heavy rain and misted over...Maddening! The road was bad and still occasional sightings of snowy peaks in my peripheral vision. Even leaving the supermarket in Kenmare.. So I came home via Moll's Gap with some success and I know where the other peaks are but needed home before dark... So here are my small offerings of snow beauty.... The last ones are so atmospheric... dark clouds heavy with snow, brooding mountains, utter silence. The first onel what looks at first like white cloud is elusive white peaks... NB cannot get this one to resize 374149.jpeg Taken between Adrigole and Lauragh on the Beara road 2s8s9dd.jpg2ltsn82.jpg

Hi Grace, thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Glad you had a wonderful day. After all the rain we've been having days like today really stand out and should be cherished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Little breeze picking up on the east
    ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Where ya located

Hills outside of Ballymote...300 meters asl.

Must just have been coincidence although a lot of townlands in Roscommon were out at the same time according to the ESB app.
    Thanks for coming back to me, all here are super helpful to us lurkers.

• Advertisement

Tactical wrote: »
    Lovely pictures Grace, delighted to view them and read your description of your trip. Very senic in good weather but more often than not its been in bad weather conditions I've driven that route.

Its a crisp clear evening in West Limerick and the stars look amazing with little or no light pollution to upset my viewing.

Down in the valley and on the hills on the other side, the lights of the various houses are twinkling. Its as if they are mirroring the carpet of stars above them.

It was indeed a lovely day, Tactical. I love driving and have favourite places and it is in these early months that I take away days as I have no trading commitments. No light pollution here although you can see a faint aura towards Killarney. Bitter cold here this morning and there has been heavy rain or hail in the night so doubtless light will show beauty. Broken out my blue hooded fleece that is SEVERE WEATHER wear. To wear in bed I mean! Next day away will be Mizen Head! Not just yet but soon... Now there is serious scenery too.. But it is at my door up here... forecast speaks of wintry showers on hills during the night

MetLuver wrote: »
    Hi Grace, thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Glad you had a wonderful day. After all the rain we've been having days like today really stand out and should be cherished.

Thanks. "Silver and gold have I none" but the beauty here is for everyone so happy to share with folk who value it.....Do you know the Healy Pass? Breathtaking....a monument to cruelty and suffering also. these were taken earlier and there is more lake now than then..........4utmkn.jpg and the famine road.. hacked out by men striving in vain to keep their families alive.. dmy25i.jpg They warned me yesterday there would be frost up there but it was viable and utterly bleak and lonely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Thanks. "Silver and gold have I none" but the beauty here is for everyone so happy to share with folk who value it.....Do you know the Healy Pass? Breathtaking....a monument to cruelty and suffering also. these were taken earlier and there is more lake now than then..........4utmkn.jpg and the famine road.. hacked out by men striving in vain to keep their families alive.. dmy25i.jpg They warned me yesterday there would be frost up there but it was viable and utterly bleak and lonely...
    Were is that pic from with the twisty road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Were is that pic from with the twisty road.

That's the Healy pass. Between Cork and Kerry. In between Glengarriff, Castletownbere and Kenmare. Beautiful countryside. I cycled through it last summer.

Redbishop wrote: »
    That's the Healy pass. Between Cork and Kerry. In between Glengarriff, Castletownbere and Kenmare. Beautiful countryside. I cycled through it last summer.

Yep...easiest to find if you head from Kenmare to Lauragh on the Ring of Beara, or from Glengarriff onto the Ring and then to Adrigole. I have a lot of photos on file from there; I do it around once a year. A a historian it is the story that grabs me. What an achievement by starving men. I stop to pray at the Crucifixion at the very top. The boundary between Cork and Kerry is right at the top where they used to hand over the bodies of the dead who were to be buried over the border. Unbelievably there is a tourist shop right at the top! Would dearly love to see it in snow; we shall see. The photo is a tiny portion of the road. Goes on and round and round for miles.

Lovely winter day although shockingly COLD... Making jam is a good way to warm the house, then I even managed to do a little outdoor work...amazing clouds skimming the mountains...Chill and still...stood outside with the dog, and caught the faintest ghost of a rainbow to the west.Who can say where clouds end and mountains begin... 29w8rr9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very light dusting of snow on Kippure this morning. Can see it from my window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

As miserable a day as you could find. Teeming down with rain dark and cold 6 degrees. This winter is unrelenting in it's horribleness'

Oh NOAH! Heavy solid rain now, an peaceful rhythm as I knit on here. Have enjoyed all the day; active morning then a restful afternoon. Easily pleased I am and why not. The sunshine was so good. No complaints here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Was't really sure which thread to post in... don't think there is a need for an "event" thread as well as this.

Anyway... any reports from the Wicklow Mountains (500m+)? Dew points might be a little on the high side for this current band on precipitation to be wintry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Oh NOAH! Heavy solid rain now, an peaceful rhythm as I knit on here. Have enjoyed all the day; active morning then a restful afternoon. Easily pleased I am and why not. The sunshine was so good. No complaints here.

Stay warm in your mountain eyrie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

HighLine wrote: »
    Was't really sure which thread to post in... don't think there is a need for an "event" thread as well as this.

Anyway... any reports from the Wicklow Mountains (500m+)? Dew points might be a little on the high side for this current band on precipitation to be wintry.

Very heavy here near Arklow, lakes of water in a short time, probably falling as Snow above 2000 ft,so would you like to be camping on top of lugnaquilla now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wasn't expecting these high rainfall totals today. Over 22mm now since midnight. Flooding is surely going to be an issue again

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Very heavy here near Arklow, lakes of water in a short time, probably falling as Snow above 2000 ft,so would you like to be camping on top of lugnaquilla now?

Would love it! Will probably head up next weekend so hopefully there will be a good covering then.

Also very heavy rain here in coastal Wicklow... roads turning to rivers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

Hi Highline could you post the link to the event thread I cant seam to find it thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The weekends this winter have been a disaster for those of us at work Mon to Fri. Was hoping to get a few jobs done today but foiled. Its dark since 3pm here lashing rain so stuck in again. And my football pools just went belly up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've been out on the MTB most weekends and they have been ok, a few exceptionally wet ones but didn't put me off. Actually love spashing about like a kid in the puddles.

Dont let it bring you down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wasn't expecting these high rainfall totals today. Over 22mm now since midnight. Flooding is surely going to be an issue again

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Yes almost 30 now and still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes almost 30 now and still raining.

Temp dropping the whole time as well. Touch of evaporative cooling with the lack of breeze. Ripe for some high ground snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Rain increasingly turning to sleet here ..... Temp falling slowly, currently 3c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement