Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, we felt the earthquake here, just lasted 2 or 3 seconds like a large object being dropped on our ceiling (occupied floors above us) and not instantly obvious that it was an earthquake. This was about 24h ago as I was typing the boards forecast (0740z to be precise). About half the local population seem to have been aware of the quake but it did no real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hi guys, can anyone say if the expected winds etc. on Friday will last into Saturday? What is the outlook for Sat in general? Getting the ferry from Dublin around 8pm on Saturday and feeling very nervous about the conditions!

Unless things change, it looks like the strong winds will be well south of us. Wouldn't expect anything stronger than about 90 km/h gusts here Friday night, calmer on Saturday.
    The only concern will be further spells of rain over flooded regions in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the short range models were off for this morning, rain has arrived hours earlier than shown and also much heavier in the West than forecast. Even the Harmonie model was well off373202.png

Definitely would be concerned about further flooding this weekend. If you look at the Nore for example at this gauge, flood levels were dropping but now the recent rain has caused that drop to slow down and level off.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000015011/0001/week/

Which means the levels won't get much of a chance to drop before the next period of rain begins around noon tomorrow. And it looks like staying wet from then until early Saturday, followed by an even heavier band of rain early Sunday.

And of course the Shannon is still slowly rising. The lower Shannon won't respond to the rainfall from Frank fully for another few days, and with more rain on the way this weekend, these levels will continue to rise into next week at least.

http://waterlevel.ie/group/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cork Airport is near a total of 400mm of rainfall with 396.5mm up to the 30th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Another wet and windy morning here with heavy rain and gusts to 55km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lightning strikes in Kerry and Wexford in last hour now.

Yep Maq further flooding certainly likely in some areas, here the Barrow has leveled off but isn't dropping, the Slaney has dropped well back but it is much faster flowing and always rises and drops quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Another wet and windy morning here with heavy rain and gusts to 55km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Ditto in Arklow :/

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Conditions look good for snow showers in places this evening/tonight, a line from about Limerick and northwards, if the precipitation is there. Might do a bit of lamppost watching later on. :)

Conditions look good for snow showers in places this evening/tonight, a line from about Limerick and northwards, if the precipitation is there. Might do a bit of lamppost watching later on. :)

15123118_3100.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

15123118_3100.gif

Frickin Snowshield :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A small bit of snow and ice on the cars earlier this morning. All gone now with the rain.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The gauge on lough Ree close to my parents house is up 16cm now since christmas day and is 5cm below the 09 peak now. The hotel there is bringing in loads of gravel to get cars in and out and parking is now up at the golf club as the car parks are flooded.

16cm on a body of water that size is huge, and this all has to funnel into Athlone yet.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000026088/0001/week/

I see Carrick on Shannon had a massive rise over the last 72 hours again
    http://waterlevel.ie/0000026324/0001/week/

So in a few days time I think its safe to say we'll see new records in the mid shannon region.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, we felt the earthquake here, just lasted 2 or 3 seconds like a large object being dropped on our ceiling (occupied floors above us) and not instantly obvious that it was an earthquake. This was about 24h ago as I was typing the boards forecast (0740z to be precise). About half the local population seem to have been aware of the quake but it did no real damage.

I have family on Salt Spring Island and the house literally moved; they will be checking for structural damage today. They have dogs who have been going wild before and since.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In between thunder deluges I caught the following.. not unexpected but pretty in the brief sun and the layer of mountains behind is more thickly covered. Oh the first photo is the one I took on the way home as Frank was starting. That is the Killarney Lake not the sea. Sorry if these are the wrong size; I only have a little vivitar camera and it does well enough for me. 603407325gqbug.jpg2ir4404.jpg The last two are taken at my back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Graces7 - your images are great but they are far to large and they are making it difficult for people using mobile devices (the majority of users) to view the forum.
    Images should be no larger than 800 pixels on the widest side - this is a site-wide guideline.
    I see you use Tinypics to upload your images and you can easily resize your images to the proper size in Tinypics.
    I done one for you but because I'm also on a mobile device I can't fix the other two at the moment :)
    You can practice in the test forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361
    Get back to me via PM if you have any problems - don't respond on thread.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Very heavy icy rain here in East Galway, still can't get the hang of the met eireann radar colour scheme, wasn't expecting it to be that heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

4 hours (I heard the first of it at 7am so it could be longer) of heavy rain here in Wexford and after a brief respite,it's bucketing down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Snow showers here in NE Donegal @130m, falls are heavy with good sided snow flakes, but only lasting a few minutes at a time and still too wet to even stick properly to top of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Some images of the erosion along the Wicklow coast and also a mud slide from yesterday. https://www.facebook.com/Skycam-Ireland-575997309142272/

I'm thinking the ESE winds due on Friday-Saturday will create big problems for this rail line.

373235.jpg
    373236.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hail Mary! (Waterford)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lashing rain and hail here now, the garden is water-logged again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well the granny is abandoning her house for a while before she is completely flooded in in Gort. Thankfully no water will get in to the house unlike the neighbour down the road. The tosser rebuilt the house after being compensated for previous flood damage and now the new house is ruined. They were told to relocate. Some people just love the drama and attention, bad or good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pissing down here in Clew Bay for most of the morning. There were moments are stillness with the sun coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

zerks wrote: »
    4 hours (I heard the first of it at 7am so it could be longer) of heavy rain here in Wexford and after a brief respite,it's bucketing down again.

Tell me about it
    A little over 2mm to go to hit 300mm in Arklow for December, will probably make it
    I see capel curig in North Wales is up around 1000,so that'll give you an idea of whats probably falling up around lug to feed the Slaney :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

There is a bend in a stream in a field just outside the bottom of our garden and usually in very wet spells it floods an area - including the lower part of the garden to a depth of as much as a foot (luckily is would have to fill about 100 acres to a depth of 3m in order to reach the house - and its only a wee stream)

The council did some work on it and installed a new culvert during the autumn and this winter it hasn't even flooded its lowest flood area.

I'm just wondering if all that water isn't surprising someone at the far end of the culvert!

Definitely the warmest and wettest December recorded here. Probably the windiest too, though without any damaging storms.

And 2015 must be the windiest year on record - it almost literally never stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Lashing in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭pauldry

Coldest year in Sligo until November and December.

However November December by far the wettest two month period I have recorded since 2006. Over 500mm.

Usually near 300mm.....in wet years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We had 2080mm of rain in Castlebar this year, making it the wettest in 50 years that I have records on, so it is possibly longer, with nearly 650mm falling in the last two months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

.. And 2015 must be the windiest year on record - it almost literally never stopped.
    Wha? There were loads of calm sunny days in September/October

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement