Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

More wet misery on the way this evening.

373152.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was so hopeful of a bit of wintry percip this evening! Temp got down to 2.4c! Now its 3.7c and climbing :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Ennis is very dry,hopefully when that snow moves in it will settle.
    It has that snowy feel to it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Ennis is very dry,hopefully when that snow moves in it will settle.
    It has that snowy feel to it lol

I hope it doesn't snow . I'll be heading back to Ennistymon from Kerry on Friday. I need clement weather.

Aineoil wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't snow . I'll be heading back to Ennistymon from Kerry on Friday. I need clement weather.

On Friday? Well if theres any snow lying rain for the rain and wind in a possible Storm Gertrude to arrive to wash it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

sleet falling here now. Aherlow south tipp

Carnacalla wrote: »
    On Friday? Well if theres any snow lying rain for the rain and wind in a possible Storm Gertrude to arrive to wash it away.

Hopefully there will be no snow. The worry now is what will storm Gertrude bring?

Drove from Ennistymon to Kerry on the Wednesday before Christmas (via the ferry Kilimer to Tarbert ). We weren't going to make the journey because of the weather forecasts. We bit the bullet and decided to travel. It was a lovely, calm journey - no weather problems at all.

Aineoil wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be no snow. The worry now is what will storm Gertrude bring?

Drove from Ennistymon to Kerry on the Wednesday before Christmas (via the ferry Kilimer to Tarbert ). We weren't going to make the journey because of the weather forecasts. We bit the bullet and decided to travel. It was a lovely, calm journey - no weather problems at all.

Travel early, you will be fine. Keep in touch with Shannon ferries, and rest assured there will be no snow in West Clare at least :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

sleet falling here now. Aherlow south tipp
    What altitude are you at? I know there are big differences in height over short distances around there so trying to figure out if you're in the glen or up the hills... And if you the hills, how far you. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fairly heavy rain in Waterford again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

i'am in the village of lisvernane, roughly 100m asl,
    i suppose being stuck between the galtees to the south and slivenamuck to the north traps in the cold air,
    certainly causes a funnel effect with wind.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Travel early, you will be fine. Keep in touch with Shannon ferries, and rest assured there will be no snow in West Clare at least :P

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

We plan to leave at 2 pm on Friday. But we will be listening to the weather forecasts and looking at your posts on boards. If the weather isn't great we can leave on Saturday or Sunday - so there's no panic.

I must say that Shannon ferries are brilliant. On the day we travelled down to Kerry the estuary didn't look that choppy but the ferry's approach into Tarbert was the slowest I have ever seen. I have no complaint with that, those guys know their stuff. I did feel for them - hard and harsh working conditions with all that rain.

I just need to etch it into my memory that the ferry leaves on the hour from Kilimer and the half hour from Tarbert!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

i'am in the village of lisvernane, roughly 100m asl,
    i suppose being stuck between the galtees to the south and slivenamuck to the north traps in the cold air,
    certainly causes a funnel effect with wind.

I was hoping you were in one of the lower altitude villages in the glen. Gives others hopes although you are right, the nearby mountains are helping you with the wintery precipitation. Please let us know if it turns into snow, even if it is wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭lolie

Netweather radar showing it turning wintry in parts now, even showing freezing rain in North meath/monaghan.
    373164.png

First time I've ever seen orange, its almost never present!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

NI & Wicklow mountains looking good for some of the white stuff tomorrow night

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Lots of potential in recent charts of proper cold weather as we head into january...

Aineoil wrote:

It'll be well melted by then.
    Hopefully you'll have a safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Lots of potential in recent charts of proper cold weather as we head into january...

Yes, I agree with that. I just saw some signs tonight. A forming region of High pressure moving southward from the North Pole into a region of the North Sea.
    A fairly good chance for this to develop into a settler.
    Colder (and hopefully sunnier and drier) weather beginning to take place from the middle of next week forward.

I hope. It's really only at the 50-60% chance in my estimation for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Anyone any info on the next predicted low on fri??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Following this evening's rain this month has become the wettest on record (since records began in 2006) at my station with 214.6mm so far. Also there has only been one day (December 27) without recorded rainfall here out of the last 34 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sammy2012 wrote: »

The low for friday wont be a named storm anyway the winds wont be strong enough more rain though which is the main concern..

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The low for friday wont be a named storm anyway the winds wont be strong enough more rain though which is the main concern..

Does it have to be wind to be a named storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Sammy2012 wrote: »

Strong winds will be off the South Coast, turning to some southerly breeze.
    Most of the action will be off shore, I'd expect some more precip from this.

gfs-14-48.png?18
    gfs-0-48.png?18

Moderate Sleet here in West Clare atm.

Hasn't hit north Clare yet

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Hi guys, can anyone say if the expected winds etc. on Friday will last into Saturday? What is the outlook for Sat in general? Getting the ferry from Dublin around 8pm on Saturday and feeling very nervous about the conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning everyone on the last day of the year.. When I managed to get through to family in BC, a small island off Vancouver, they had a serious earthquake yesterday. The house literally moved. That is MTs territory so he will be reporting later. Her dogs are very wired so they think another quake is imminent. .. Here, at 2.30 am, a clear sky and a half moon lying lazily on its back with a star at its back...chilly... by 4 am, heavy rain and still lashing down. When daylight faded last evening there was snow on the far northerly mountains. Just read the met e forecast and a huge sigh here. Ah well; at least the earth is stable. My family tell me about planets being in alignment? Wet day ahead and water still rising.. wish I could be out there and helping. Stay safe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi guys, can anyone say if the expected winds etc. on Friday will last into Saturday? What is the outlook for Sat in general? Getting the ferry from Dublin around 8pm on Saturday and feeling very nervous about the conditions!

Keep a close eye on the ferry company websites and on AA roadwatch etc for up to date info and news, They are very good at keeping folk informed. aa roadwatch twitter will help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement