Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Second heaviest rainfall I have seen this year after the deluge on November 18th

Did you enjoy it, it wiped out the last 2 dry-ish days here and the driveway is flooded again with no chance of it receding by tomorrows rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Did you enjoy it, it wiped the last 2 dry days here and the driveway is flooded again with no chance of it receding by tomorrows rain.

I did enjoy it but I can't wait 'til tomorrow night and Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gertrude on Friday?

gfs-0-90.png?18?18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Somebody out for a stroll today on the north wall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Drove from the West to Dublin this afternoon. Conditions are pretty bad so the above advice from Tactical should be heeded.

Did the same this evening. Conditions were horrific. The rain came down so hard for a stretch that it seemed I was driving on a lake rather than a motorway! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Ive a few mates in the rescue services who'd be called on to help someone in bother near the coast. My concern is for them to be honest because of the amount of people who through sheer arrogance go to dangerous places and think it won't happen to them. Its my mates that will put themselves in harms way to help.

It'd be well for those that'd go for a walk on a pier or out in a little boat for no good reason tomorrow to think about the families and friends of those lads and girls that'll be expected to go mop them up.

What really surprised me on the motorway today was the crosswinds hitting the car. I've rarely felt the strength of them before. Tomorrow night is going to be manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Lashing rain in Arklow again :O

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gertrude on Friday?

Henry on Sunday ? ;)

gfs-0-132.png?18

34nnslw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looking at the Met Eireann graphs for Jan 1st/2nd we will get an awful slap of South East and later even stronger North West winds as a low pressure makes its way through the country. Cork Kerry Clare looks to bear the brunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Am I correct in saying that the whole Storm Frank has been hyped up? Met Eireann dropped 'stormy' from their latest forecast. I think here in Donegal we will get nothing more than gales and some rain. Usual December weather. I'm still planning on getting the garage roof work d one tomorrow and Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

legomaniac wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the whole Storm Frank has been hyped up? Met Eireann dropped 'stormy' from their latest forecast. I think here in Donegal we will get nothing more than gales and some rain. Usual December weather. I'm still planning on getting the garage roof work d one tomorrow and Wednesday

Have a look at the dedicated thread and then decide for yourself.
    With gusts of 50knots in Inland knock airport forecast, how do you think Donegal will fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wind gust speeds in mph tomorrow evening,close to 80mph in the northwest,i don't know if I'd want to be on a roof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Forecast for Fri is fairly benign by Met Eireann but as mentioned earlier looks like we could get another storm, and this time the SW getting a fair whack off it, early days though, one to keep an eye on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Wind gust speeds in mph tomorrow evening,close to 80mph in the northwest,i don't know if I'd want to be on a roof.

Maybe they should have called Frank "Frankenstein" instead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been raining heavily since it woke me an hour or so ago. Will check before I go out at first light. Sounds loud though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Beautiful morning here in Dublin, hard to believe this evening will be so rotten

image_zpso7ur9yl7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very interesting monthly rainfall totals in places

Cork Airport: 326.9mm
    Claremorris: 302.3mm
    Knock Airport: 303.8mm
    Roches Point: 291.4mm
    Valentia Observatory: 292.8mm
    Newport: 271.6mm
    Casement Aerodrome: 180.6mm

Is this a new wet December record for Ireland?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very interesting monthly rainfall totals in places

Cork Airport: 326.9mm
    Claremorris: 302.3mm
    Knock Airport: 303.8mm
    Roches Point: 291.4mm
    Valentia Observatory: 292.8mm
    Newport: 271.6mm
    Casement Aerodrome: 180.6mm

Is this a new wet December record for Ireland?

You can bet that some of met rain stations on private property will have higher totals even in the east,I'm at 243 as of this morning in south wicklow

A dusting of snow from wintry showers coming in from the west on Thursday.

gfs_asnow_eu_12.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Claremorris has had 25 per cent of its normal rainfall this month 302mm FOR THE YEAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭bloopy

Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny at the moment. The river is normally just where the line of trees are. Low tide is at 3pm, high tide will be around half 9. Is this storm going to dump much rain on the southeast?

372951.jpeg

bloopy wrote: »
    Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny at the moment. The river is normally just where the line of trees are. Low tide is at 3pm, high tide will be around half 9. Is this storm going to dump much rain on the southeast?

372951.jpeg

Up to around 50mm, more on high ground, over the next 2 days.

Up to around 50mm, more on high ground, over the next 2 days.

And as Inistioge is on high ground and near higher ground, and not far from New Ross/S wexford iirc,I'd say 70mm plus so more flooding
    Certainly no let up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bloopy wrote: »

372951.jpeg

A lot of water to come off the hills in Northern Kilkenny, doesn't look good, it was remarkable how high the Nore was in Kilkenny city.
    Flood defenses are working great so far, despite all the controversy it caused when it was being constructed, but it doesn't help Thomastown or Inistioge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

You can bet that some of met rain stations on private property will have higher totals even in the east,I'm at 243 as of this morning in south wicklow
    I'm at 276mm in West Wicklow so far for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

275.8 mm here. Mo/Rn boundary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i reckon over 50% of the rain total here over past 12 months has fallen between 1st week of November and today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think in Kilkenny we had lived a charmed life so far.
    6 miles north east of Kilkenny city:
    October 60.6mm
    November 94.2mm
    December so far 184.8mm
    Total 339.6mm

Last year for same period: 304.4mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

A dusting of snow from wintry showers coming in from the west on Thursday.

Worth keeping an eye on alright.

51-779UK_bap2.GIF
    51-7UK_plz6.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Anybody know when the winds drop off tomorrow. Driving Dublin->Waterford. Met.ie isn't clear (just that they drop off by the evening).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement