Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sarcodius

Call some brokers, and even consider calling all of the insurers listed here:

Not doing so could cost you hundreds.

Oh I did haha! I used that list and tried them all. Did a few brokers as well. At the end of it once I got 2500 from CoverInAClick, anyone else I contacted said they couldn't do better and me best bet was to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Sarcodius wrote: »

Car: 04 Fiat Panda 1.1

NCD: None (New Driver)

Licence: Full Irish

Cover: Third, Party Fire & Theft

Best quote: €2500 - CoverInAClick

Next to that the cheapest was 3000 with First Ireland I think. Some quotes I got were almost hitting 5000! Guess that's just a deterrent or something so they don't have to deal with new drivers. Just hope it'll be cheaper next year!

It will be cheaper next year but once your car hits 15 years old it's nearly like hitting the reset button, if you don't have a bank of Ireland account open one could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

JamboMac wrote: »
    With the AA also and just wondering how long before renewal did they send you your quote.

My renewals up for the 22nd Aug and i got the letters about 2 weeks ago. So a good 3-4 weeks before

Craftylee wrote: »
    My renewals up for the 22nd Aug and i got the letters about 2 weeks ago. So a good 3-4 weeks before

I got an email with my renewal details rather then anything in the post, wondering is the proof of no claims e-mail valid as proof if I want to change insurers or do I need them to give me an actual piece of paper rather then just printing it.

Car: 01 Golf 1.4

NCD: 2 years

Licence: Full Irish 1 year

Cover: TPFT

Last year 980 with AA Renewal 1,061(extra product)

AXA 1,600
    Aib 1,600
    Liberty 1800
    Fbd: ring
    123 no quote
    An post no quote
    Companion or something 2200
    BOI €879
    25 plus 1952 and completely crap cover.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    No claims is no claims, doesn't matter what coverage you build it up with, once it's in your own name.

That's good to know. I mightn't always want fully comp as the car gets older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭xalot

Quote for husband and wife, man as main driver, female as named driver.

Car: 2005 Volvo S40, 1.8L

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points (additional driver 2 points expiring in Dec 16)

Cover: Fully comp, protected with breakdown assistance

Best quote: €640 from AIG (existing insurere)

Other quotes:
    €695 Allianz
    €728 FBD
    €733 AXA
    €828 Liberty
    €1,118 123.ie
    €1,300 Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

Car: 2004 VW Bora 1.4
    NCD: 1
    Licence: Full since end of March
    Cover: Comp
    Best quote: €1225 Campion. I was with Campion before and renewal came in at 1300 and they dropped to 1225 to match the Briton Quote.

Other quotes:
    Britton 1221.18
    Glennons 1333.19
    QuoteMe 1442.67
    First Ireland 1507.45 <-- I expected this to be much lower with the Drive First 10 lessons :((
    Liberty 3094.83 <-- highest!

Car: 2004 VW Bora 1.4
    NCD: 1
    Licence: Full since end of March
    Cover: Comp
    Best quote: €1225 Campion. I was with Campion before and renewal came in at 1300 and they dropped to 1225 to match the Briton Quote.

Other quotes:
    Britton 1221.18
    Glennons 1333.19
    QuoteMe 1442.67
    First Ireland 1507.45 <-- I expected this to be much lower with the Drive First 10 lessons :((

That's hilarious campion see me as a much bigger risk than you 2200 for me and 1200 for you, my cars 3 years older but I hold a full licence longer by a year and 2 years ncd. Both basically the same 1.4 engine. Where is the logic?

Try the AA you may get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If only a representative of Liberty would come on Boards and do an AMA. Perhaps they could give straight answers, explaining the arcane mathematical formulae behind coming up with such a figure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

That's hilarious campion see me as a much bigger risk than you 2200 for me and 1200 for you, my cars 3 years older but I hold a full licence longer by a year and 2 years ncd. Both basically the same 1.4 engine. Where is the logic?

Try the AA you may get better.

Logic you ask? Its out the window like the common sense!

The AA 1,803.64.

I have a spreadsheet with all the companies I could find on this thread. 20 of them got me a quote and 14 did not :(. Oh well still okish...went down from 2100 as a new driver to 1225 with 1 NCD. I guess its good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

You had it easy, I was honest with the insurance company and was the only one insured on my car when I started driving at 28 and it was 1550 you got it so cheap because I'm guessing your parent took out the insurance on a car for you as a named driver. One the many reasons we are all paying higher premiums now.

The last sentence there. Could you explain to me why putting your son or daughter as a named driver results in higher insurance premiums for others with no connection to you? I don't quite understand.

Rothmans wrote: »
    The last sentence there. Could you explain to me why putting your son or daughter as a named driver results in higher insurance premiums for others with no connection to you? I don't quite understand.

It's self explanatory.

It's self explanatory.

Not really. If the insurance company reckons that there is extra risk associated with the named driver they will charge extra to that policy. How would this affect your policy? Putting your son or daughter on your policy certainly is not a new phenomenon anyway. You'll really need to explain your logic here because it certainly isn't self explanatory.

Not really. If the insurance company reckons that there is extra risk associated with the named driver they will charge extra to that policy. How would this affect your policy? Putting your son or daughter on your policy certainly is not a new phenomenon anyway. You'll really need to explain your logic here because it certainly isn't self explanatory.

No it's not really the parents policy as such the car is more than likely owned by the child and the policy is taken out in the parents name for the child which to get it cheaper, but the parent has no intention of driving the car. This is actually called fraud and I'm sure insurance companies know of this so honest people get charged extra.

No this is not a new phenomenon and yes lots of people do it, but does that make it right?

No it's not really the parents policy as such the car is more than likely owned by the child and the policy is taken out in the parents name for the child which to get it cheaper, but the parent has no intention of driving the car. This is actually called fraud and I'm sure insurance companies know of this so honest people get charged extra.

No this is not a new phenomenon and yes lots of people do it, but does that make it right?

Not at all. But there was no suggestion that the user you were talking to was actually fronting at all though. You read that aspect into it yourself.
    There is nothing wrong with naming someone on your policy. Whether they, or anyone else for that matter, intends to commit fraud is another matter entirely.

Not at all. But there was no suggestion that the user you were talking to was actually fronting at all though. You read that aspect into it yourself.
    There is nothing wrong with naming someone on your policy. Whether they, or anyone else for that matter, intends to commit fraud is another matter entirely.

If they weren't fronting why is it only you who found fault with what I said. Of course everybody's insurance is loaded by a certain percentage because companies know parents taking out insurance for another car. Then they figure that in as loading onto the rest of us for insurance. To spread the risk across all us drivers. Insurance didn't rise for no reason and we can all simply blame insurance companies, but their are many factors that are created thanks to other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I got an email with my renewal details rather then anything in the post, wondering is the proof of no claims e-mail valid as proof if I want to change insurers or do I need them to give me an actual piece of paper rather then just printing it.

Oh yes apologies you're right, I got an email first with all the details. I called them up to try and haggle (even though there renewal was still the cheapest I could get), but they wouldn't budge. So I renewed right then on the phone and got sent a letter with all the docs, including new insurance disc and NCD cert.

But yeah if you do decide to leave them I'd imagine they will send you a proper NCD cert

Craftylee wrote: »
    Oh yes apologies you're right, I got an email first with all the details. I called them up to try and haggle (even though there renewal was still the cheapest I could get), but they wouldn't budge. So I renewed right then on the phone and got sent a letter with all the docs, including new insurance disc and NCD cert.

But yeah if you do decide to leave them I'd imagine they will send you a proper NCD cert

Thanks actually got it all in the post today, could actually just print it out the NCD the paper is just normal. Bank of Ireland are cheaper but they cover very little so if you have an issue may not be worth it in the end. Might see on Monday can they drop it further. Thanks again.

If they weren't fronting why is it only you who found fault with what I said. Of course everybody's insurance is loaded by a certain percentage because companies know parents taking out insurance for another car. Then they figure that in as loading onto the rest of us for insurance. To spread the risk across all us drivers. Insurance didn't rise for no reason and we can all simply blame insurance companies, but their are many factors that are created thanks to other drivers.

Of course fraud increases premiums for all. However, that wasn't what your initial comment was. Your original comment was an unsolicited dig at another poster who you know nothing about. You suggested that it was young named drivers who were the reason for increasing premiums whereas in actual fact you meant it was the minority who are fraudulent who are the cause if the problem. This was not clear from your comment, which I didn't appreciate as it certainly came across as a baseless sly dig at an other poster.

• Advertisement

Of course fraud increases premiums for all. However, that wasn't what your initial comment was. Your original comment was an unsolicited dig at another poster who you know nothing about. You suggested that it was young named drivers who were the reason for increasing premiums whereas in actual fact you meant it was the minority who are fraudulent who are the cause if the problem. This was not clear from your comment, which I didn't appreciate as it certainly came across as a baseless sly dig at an other poster.

I said one of the problems not all of the problems and I am leaving it there because this has gotten off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Have any of you who are getting high quotes or even ok quotes tried putting someone down as a named driver? As i have said before on this thread i have done this for the past 9 years and it brought my insurance down considerably and has done the same for lots of people that i have suggested it to!

If you go back to page 93 on this thread you will see a person i told to try this and he has the quotes posted up! His insurance more than halved by putting down 2 named drivers.

The same goes for young drivers starting off,i dont understand why they get a parent to insure the car and put them as a named driver when all they have to do is take out the policy in their own name and put the parent as a named driver under them, this will make the same difference by bringing the premium down and with the added advantage that they will accumulate a NCB in their own name which they wont if they are just down as a named driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missblondie89

Car: Ford Puma 2001

Licence: 4th Provisional (Hopefully my last provisonal), no points

Cover: 3rd Party Fire & Theft

Best quote: 2900 McCarthey Brokers - Axa - This actually is pretty good as I have been off the road for 3 years (couldnt afford to drive as was out of work) McCarthey Brokers found me one insurance company who would take me on with 3 years expired NCB. Other companies quoted me up 5.5k and most wouldn't give me a quote over expired ncb, 4th permit and a 15 year old motor, happy out id definately recommend them to people :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Car: Ford Puma 2001

Licence: 4th Provisional (Hopefully my last provisonal), no points

Cover: 3rd Party Fire & Theft

Best quote: 2900 McCarthey Brokers - Axa - This actually is pretty good as I have been off the road for 3 years (couldnt afford to drive as was out of work) McCarthey Brokers found me one insurance company who would take me on with 3 years expired NCB. Other companies quoted me up 5.5k and most wouldn't give me a quote over expired ncb, 4th permit and a 15 year old motor, happy out id definately recommend them to people :-)

Is that a 1.4 or 1.7 puma? I have a 1.7 puma as a spare. When i recently tried insuring it temporarily they told me it is a group 25 insurance bracket.

Didn't realise group insurance existed here.

The fact is if it is a sports car on the logbook like mine that would impact the premium.

KC161 wrote: »
    Is that a 1.4 or 1.7 puma? I have a puma as a spare. When i recently tried insuring it temporarily they told me it is a group 25 insurance bracket.

The fact it is a sports car would impact the premium.

This and the age alone adds about 600 was messing about with premium and put in a 2008 Peugeot 1.4 tdi as opposed to my o1 1.4 golf quote went down by 600.

Is that a 1.4 or 1.7 puma? I have a 1.7 puma as a spare. When i recently tried insuring it temporarily they told me it is a group 25 insurance bracket.

The fact is if it is a sports car on the logbook like mine that would impact the premium.

1.6 litre petrol but logbook also states that it is a sports coupe, don't know what the group insurance is about never even heard of it over here before tbh

1.6 litre petrol but logbook also states that it is a sports coupe, don't know what the group insurance is about never even heard of it over here before tbh

Yeah my insurers mentioned it when my own car was going in for repairs.

AXA are my insurance company,my diesel focus is group 15 and puma was group 25. Couldn't understand it. Because it was more than 8 groups higher than my focus they couldn't do the temporary change.

I had to double check that he wasn't getting me mixed up with the UK as he had an english accent.

He said no he works in AXA in Dublin.

Have you tried the quotes with a full licence to compare?

Also what companies have you tried?

did you try something like a 1.6 petrol 2001 focus to compare the difference?

This and the age alone adds about 600 was messing about with premium and put in a 2008 Peugeot 1.4 tdi as opposed to my o1 1.4 gold quote went down by 600.

Insurance is like a bloody lottery these days.

Random numbers out of the sky.

Yeah my insurers mentioned it when my own car was going in for repairs.

AXA are my insurance company,my diesel focus is group 15 and puma was group 25. Couldn't understand it. Because it was more than 8 groups higher than my focus they couldn't do the temporary change.

I had to double check that he wasn't getting me mixed up with the UK as he had an english accent.

He said no he works in AXA in Dublin.

Have you tried the quotes with a full licence to compare?

Also what companies have you tried?

did you try something like a 1.6 petrol 2001 focus to compare the difference?

I didn't check with a full license yet, AA wanted €4000, liberty insurance wanted €5178 and 123.ie wanted €5000, can't justify paying insurance that is around 4 times more than what the car is worth, rang quoteme brokers and the girl couldn't give me a quote from the 13 companies she apparently searched through. I put in a 02 corsa into the quotes on a few websites just to get an idea (before I bought the puma) I was given averages of around €2500. So I rang my old brokers and got lucky I suppose, cos they managed to get me deal with AXA (Ladyfirst or what the sub name is) cos I would be been screwed and would have had to sell the Puma....Didn't realise how much of a rip off the insurance would be, an absolute joke like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Went from a 2005 Citroen c4 to a 2001 vw bora. I'm praying the insurance company will change over for me in the morning..

(c4 is off the road and Bora is needed for work)

Advertisement