Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dammit, my brown rice I get yesterday from Lidl tastes mouldy. Bin. Now I have to go shopping again. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They shoot them??

Is there a more humane way?
    I couldn't think of a better way to go - one minute you're snuffling through a field of turnips and the next you're on your back kicking the air for a few seconds. Beats the way a lot of humans go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The wild boar pate 'log' was - I almost hate to use the word - moreish.
    Rustic\coarse with a denser texture and flavour than the usual pates.
    €2 for 250g is great value too.

No scars received by the hunters I trust, unlike my mythological namesake :)

If anyone spots some remaining wild boar steaks in any of the northside Dublin branches please shout!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Since the thing a couple of months ago, where own-brand hummus in Lidl/Aldi/SuperValu was contaminated with salmonella, both Lidl and Aldi seem to have switched to the same new supplier - I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but it costs about 79c for a tub of plain or low-fat hummus.

Anyway, I got this new brand in Lidl and I cannot recommend it - it tastes fine, but it goes off incredibly quickly - I find that it's souring by the end of the second day open. The old brand was perfectly good for 5-6 days after opening as long as I was careful.

Tesco's own-brand is the same price, tastes good and keeps as well as the old aldi/lidl one used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Make your own hummus. So easy and much nicer and cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The Nal wrote: »
    Make your own hummus. So easy and much nicer and cheaper.

Buying chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic to make your own houmous is hardly cheaper than paying €0.79 for a 200 gram tub in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Space Dog wrote: »
    Buying chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic to make your own houmous is hardly cheaper than paying €0.79 for a 200 gram tub in the supermarket.

You can get a can of chickpeas for 30c. A jar of tahini will last for ages. You only need a few Tablespoons. So yeah, its much cheaper in the long run. And it doesn't have salmonella in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The Nal wrote: »
    You can get a can of chickpeas for 30c. A jar of tahini will last for ages. You only need a few Tablespoons. So yeah, its much cheaper in the long run. And it doesn't have salmonella in it.

Don't you tell me what to put in my hummus.

(joking aside, I know it's easy to make, I have done in the past but right now it suits me better to buy the tubs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Are the frozen pork schnitzels still available? I remember buying them before, but it might have been during a German week.

Will be back again during "Alpenfest" from January 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

cant seem to find tahini very easily so it was recommended to add peanut butter, seems to work great, have had it many times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How often do chainsaws come into Lidl can any of the experts remember? Petrol ones not Lithium-ion.

(Yeah yeah sounds delicious etc...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Will be back again during "Alpenfest" from January 16th

I just had a look at this on their website - they'll have fake Mozartkugeln and Sachertorte during that event!? Not entirely sure how I feel about those, and if they can be made "on the cheap". But I'm willing to give them a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Shenshen wrote: »
    I just had a look at this on their website - they'll have fake Mozartkugeln and Sachertorte during that event!? Not entirely sure how I feel about those, and if they can be made "on the cheap". But I'm willing to give them a try anyway.

They had the Mozartkugeln before - I like them! Not quite Reber, but close enough. However, this time they also sell Rote Grütze. Selling that under the header "Alpenfest" when it is from the North of Germany is slightly puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The recent (last few months) goose fillets down in the 'posh meat' back freezer are excellent. Good size, good taste, much like duck if you've had that. About a fiver a breast in my local one.

Never thought I'd be gone on Lidl frozen meats, but these are worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thargor wrote: »
    How often do chainsaws come into Lidl can any of the experts remember? Petrol ones not Lithium-ion.

(Yeah yeah sounds delicious etc...)

My Dad bought one in lidl, he keeps an eye out on their power tools, I'll check for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Had the Pork Knuckle from the Alpenfest range last night. Weight on box is 600g but when the bones and fat are removed, there is about 200g of meat. Meat is tender and marinade is decent but overall not worth it for me.

Tried their Seafood mix for the first time last week and it is delicious. Perfect in a fish pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Their Frozen berries in the XXL range this week are excellent value. 1kg Strawberries/Mixed Berries and 750g Rasberries are 2.25.

Incredible value when compared to the fresh alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finally got around to trying the Deluxe marmalade with Wild Burrow Gin they had in before Christmas (we pretty much never have bread in the house so rarely eat toast). It really is very good indeed, I must say.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Had the Pork Knuckle from the Alpenfest range last night. Weight on box is 600g but when the bones and fat are removed, there is about 200g of meat. Meat is tender and marinade is decent but overall not worth it for me.

Tried their Seafood mix for the first time last week and it is delicious. Perfect in a fish pie.

I've seen the seafood mix, was a bit wary of it for some reason. I will try it, but might use it in a tomato based soup.

Fond memories of the red fish soup you get in France and Portugal, no one sells it here.

Their Frozen berries in the XXL range this week are excellent value. 1kg Strawberries/Mixed Berries and 750g Rasberries are 2.25.

Never sure what to do with frozen berries.
    Tried juicing them once but didn't like all the seeds/bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Never sure what to do with frozen berries.
    Tried juicing them once but didn't like all the seeds/bits

I used to make smooties with them until this

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I've seen the seafood mix, was a bit wary of it for some reason. I will try it, but might use it in a tomato based soup.

Fond memories of the red fish soup you get in France and Portugal, no one sells it here.

Seafood mix is great for chowder or soup or or potato and fish cake

Seafood mix is great for chowder or soup or or potato and fish cake

Must find a recipe for red chowder. Not the biggest fan of the creamy type.

scotchy wrote: »
    I used to make smooties with them until this

Wow. I never knew.
    Maybe jam?
    I'd like to eat more berries but don't really like them, and so expensive when fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

That's great value :) Prior to the boil notice warning I would have also used these in smoothies, but alas you can't now. As post above says, you could always make jam or a coulis.... or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is the boil notice still in force?

It's years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bouillabaisse.

The seafood mix is also great for a fish curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

No XXL berries in my local. Was going to dump them in a Kilner jar and flood with sweetened vodka for, um, raspberry vodka in a few months time. Sobriety ahead :( .

[Edit] Should have read to the end of the thread before posting. Didn't know about the boil thing either. Wonder if alcohol denatures viruses? (Not asking for food safety advice here.)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Bouillabaisse.

The seafood mix is also great for a fish curry.

That's the one.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bouillabaisse?amp

A "challenge".

I think I have to wait for a holiday in France :(

• Advertisement

tangy wrote: »
    No XXL berries in my local. Was going to dump them in a Kilner jar and flood with sweetened vodka for, um, raspberry vodka in a few months time. Sobriety ahead :( .

[Edit] Should have read to the end of the thread before posting. Didn't know about the boil thing either. Wonder if alcohol denatures viruses? (Not asking for food safety advice here.)

It doesn't, but I'm not giving advice as per said rules :)

Advertisement