Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - anyone try these? any good?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Not yet. I will do by this weekend. Well played Lidl. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

No sign of Wild Boar / Venison / Ostrich steaks in the 2 Lidls that we go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - anyone try these? any good?
    thanks

Haven't tried those ones but generally Lidl ice cream is excellent. The dark chocolate one in the rectangular tub is amazing. I think about €3ish? Less than half the price and twice the size of Ben & Jerry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just noticed fresh Venison steaks in my local LIDL D3.

No sign or sticker for Wild Boar, and the 'three game roast' seems to come in and been sold out (there was a sticker for it).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Wild boar is beside the carvers my lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in Lidl yesterday but still no sign of the wild boar steaks. They did have fresh venison steaks though, 9.99 for 400g

Wild boar is beside the carvers my lamb

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that spot, it also has 3 game roast.
    But no sign of wild boar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just noticed fresh Venison steaks in my local LIDL D3.

They weren't due in til next week according to the mag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are the frozen pork schnitzels still available? I remember buying them before, but it might have been during a German week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

what are the wild boar like?, sausage taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that spot, it also has 3 game roast.
    But no sign of wild boar :(

Could they really be Wild Boar though? Where do wild boar roam in the quantities that would be needed to stock all the Lidl's, and who hunts them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Could they really be Wild Boar though? Where do wild boar roam in the quantities that would be needed to stock all the Lidl's, and who hunts them down?

If it is called wild boar then that's what it is.

Not sure which country this comes from, though.

There are quantities being shot down in some places as they are overpopulated in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Poland? They have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Poland? They have them.

Plenty in Germany too. They are a real pest in some areas.

They shoot them??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They shoot them??

Yes. And they are eaten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They shoot them??

Yes.

wonski wrote: »
    Yes.

Seems unnecessarily cruel. Thought they would use more humane measures. Anyway, I'd love to try boar. Is it like pork? Richer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive seen plenty of pics in the cycling forum of peoples wild boar encounters in Wicklow over the years. Without wolves to cull them they turn into a massive pest species.

• Advertisement

They shoot them??

All game is shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Not a food item, but thought I’d post anyhow...

Lidl have lovely Christmas bed linen sets in atm, made from brushed cotton. (Link: https://www.lidl.ie/en/leaflet/lidl-ie-leaflet-wk50-dec-2019-mon-9th-sun-15th/view/flyer/page/24)

I got the red one (which is reversible...win!) and it’s quite nice quality. I bought a similar set from Anthony Ryan’s last year for a more expensive price and they were very coarse. The Lidl ones are very decent for the price (especially given that they won’t be on the bed that long).

Apologies for the slight offer topic recommendation.....

Back on topic, the honey roasted cashew and peanut nut mix are dangerously addictive. Perfect combination of sweet and salty :)

I got the wild boar rustic pate... no sign of the steaks or salami. They need to shoot some more!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah Ive been to three Lidls now over the last two weeks and still no wild boar. Looks like they had very limited quantities so only a minority of stores got them. Shame really.

If anyone wants them check out the stockists here https://wildirishgame.ie/stockists/ You would likely have to pre-order as not all butchers carry it. This is their brochure, they sell everything from woodcocks to crocodile and are the main processor for wild game in Wicklow https://wildirishgame.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/WildIrishGame-Brochure2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hasn’t Ireland got wild boar now

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Boar salami is available in Lidl Bray picked some up during the week. It is tucked away near in fridge near the bakery beside the cheeses.

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Boar salami is available in Lidl Bray picked some up during the week. It is tucked away near in fridge near the bakery beside the cheeses.

There's no shortage of the salami, it's the steaks we all wanted to get our hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Regarding "wild boar", there is a breed of pig called Iron Age pigs which are from a wild boar and usually a Tamworth gilt/sow.

The meat from the Iron Age pig is very similar to wild pig, it has a very gamey flavour.

From a production point of view, this means you can rear "wild boar" flavoured meat in a similar way to traditional outdoor pig rearing.

No need to hunt and shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Personally I'd rather my meat have had a free life than be reared on a farm if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Boar are a serious issue in a lot of tillage areas, so if you would like your grain uneaten (whether it be in liquid or solid form) they have to be gotten rid of.
    It's a big thing in Poland, I think,heading over for a game shoot.

Advertisement