Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 4 Transfer Thread (adios Rooney gu'lad)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,003 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lemlin wrote: »
    Mane, Walters and Puncheon were playing for better teams though. Pearson couldn't decide what first 11 he wanted for most of the season last year.

Just picking out Mahrez's stats for last season isn't really fair. He now has 18 attacking returns in 53 games for Leicester. That's a superb return for a player at his price point.
    This will probably sound blunt but trust me I don't mean it as such, but of course I'd be picking out Mahrez's stats for last season because that's what we were referring to. I wasn't using them as a stick to beat him with rather than as I said, based on his output last season he was a decent cheapie choice but certainly not a must have player.

His 4 goals in 3 to start this season are what's propelling him that way which is all I was pointing out, in response to someone making out like it was crazy policy not to have Mahrez after 2 good weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CSF wrote: »
    This will probably sound blunt but trust me I don't mean it as such, but of course I'd be picking out Mahrez's stats for last season because that's what we were referring to. I wasn't using them as a stick to beat him with rather than as I said, based on his output last season he was a decent cheapie choice but certainly not a must have player.

His 4 goals in 3 to start this season are what's propelling him that way which is all I was pointing out, in response to someone making out like it was crazy policy not to have Mahrez after 2 good weeks.

I referred to his stats for Leicester "before this season" so those are the stats I was talking about, not just last season. His previous year may have been in the Championship but other players have shown they can carry it across.

As I said, last season isn't a fair sample because Pearson wasn't clued in tactically or picking his best 11 for most of it. He also wasn't even starting Mahrez for a period of time.

I wouldn't see him as must have but I certainly had no problem getting him straight in for Walcott on what I'd seen of him last year and the stats I've referred to. I've reaped the rewards in the two weeks since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rooney to Aguero done. That will be it for tonight but I may wildcard depending on the rest of the weekend. I'm conflicted though because my team has good fixtures next week but too many players in dropping in price. If Mane and Ivanovic produce tomorrow then I would be inclined to hold the WC.

Team for next GW as it stands:

GW4_zpsljfdaex1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Benteke in for Rooney. West Ham leaking goals so I'm gonna go for him over Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

On the 8th of August I awoke to this FPL upcoming season asking you guys your always enlighten opinions
    iroced wrote: »
    Like every season, I'm very slow to get back into the game. In addition this year I've been over-busy these last 2 weeks... I probably have 100 pages to be catching up pacman.gifrolleyes.png...

For now I'll just be asking the FSA "FPL dictionary panel" (well... you guys tongue.png) 2 simple question:

1. I see Aguero in more and more teams. Didn't Pellegrini say weeks ago he was going to miss GW1? The latest I found about him is that he's fine. Does that mean a definite start?

2. Who's this Ritchie everyone's owning? I know he had a good season last year in the championship but does that make him such a "sure" bet early on? I mean he's dearer than Mahrez for example who's proven at PL level.

I honestly don't know neither remember how I ended up considering Mahrez in this bolded question (e.g. Albrighton would be a player I'd have more knowledge about).
    I guess some of you mentioned him, his good pre-season, Leicester favourable fixtures, maybe Ranieri's style & policy fitting him more (whatever, probably a mixture of those in the countless pages of discussions I had reviewed).

I'm sure glad I went for him over Ritchie. My good start is largely due to him.

Now I'll come to a point I'd like to raise. I have zero knowledge of the lower English leagues. Every season, I'm very happy to read about players from promoted teams you guys expect to step up to PL standard. But, do you actually remember of some who immediately performed? I mean, weren't all the expectations around Ritchie too high? We've now all seen/heard about his potential from these 3 opening games. Is it not just normal that he and his team need time to adjust to PL level?

This is the very reason I went for Mahrez over Ritchie for my starting team, especially that he was £0.5m dearer than the Algerian. 'Cause Mahrez was certainly not a no brainer before the season but he had shown promising things and had the experience of a year and a half of PL? Isn't that more valuable than we'd tend to think it is?

It's eating me alive but I don't want to get rid of any of my midfielders for him (Depay, Ayew, Payet, Sanchez, Mane). He's cheap enough still that I can fight the tide until it becomes impossible not to but that late goal today hurt a lot.

I've read your debate with zarquon and the others and would support all zarquon's posts but if I may add something I learned, though I know you're not holding a black & white position regarding Mahrez, stubborness is one of fantasyfootball worst enemy.

You are making sense to be fair. Who would you value higher, Payet or Ayew?

Again, I agree with zarquon's post. Much of a muchness FPL-wise. Ayew is the better footballer but Payet (notably through his assists potential) may have the edge FPL-wise. He's a little dearer though. But it also depends if you (plan to) own Gomis upfront. I'd not like to double up on them right now so for me, as long as Gomis proves to be a solid FPL option, it's Payet all the way. If not him, I'd go for a United mid when/if they click on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was an advocate of Ritchie at the start of the season, turned out I was wrong and I know, I know, if my aunty had a cock she'd be my uncle and all that - but I do think he should have scored way more points (missed a sitter on the opening day, hit the post against Liverpool) than he has and will score reasonably well when all is said and done.

Anyway, with regards to Mahrez, one thing that should be pointed out with Mahrez is that there was no guarantee that he was even going to start games or play near 90 minutes. Last season he made 30 PL apperances and played 2084 minutes. That works out at an average of less than 70 minutes a game. He was substituted around the 65 minute mark quite a lot. They had a new manager, their best player had left, no one really knew how they would start. Personally I thought they'd be a shambles. At the start of the season, player minutes and things such as new managers, systems etc are in our thoughts.

Look, well done to anyone who got on him from the off. However, there's no doubting that he was a massive punt, as was Ritchie (which I always said when giving my reasons for picking him), and as is virtually always any midfielder in that £4.5m-£6m range who we use as our 4th/5th midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I deliberately avoided Leicester players due to the Tinkerman and was well wrong in the end. We'll see if they can maintain this now

Have a bit of deadwood I need to shift. Willing to take a -4. I have:

Ivan
    Sterling
    Cabaye
    Sakho

Ivan and Sterling have decent fixtures next week so, unless Ivan is dropped today, I'm currently giving precedence to Cabaye and Sakho out.

They give me 13 mil to spend. Gomis for 7.2 is the forward I'm thinking of. That leaves me with 5.8 for a mid. Redmond or has anyone any recommendations?

My team:

Myhill McCarthy
    Ivan Shaw Kolarov Huth Saylor
    Hazard Sterling Cabaye Mahrez Fletcher
    Aguero Benteke Sakho

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lemlin wrote: »
    Have a bit of deadwood I need to shift. Willing to take a -4. I have:

Ivan
    Sterling
    Cabaye
    Sakho

Ivan and Sterling have decent fixtures next week so, unless Ivan is dropped today, I'm currently giving precedence to Cabaye and Sakho out.

They give me 13 mil to spend. Gomis for 7.2 is the forward I'm thinking of. That leaves me with 5.8 for a mid. Redmond or has anyone any recommendations?

My team:

Myhill McCarthy
    Ivan Shaw Kolarov Huth Saylor
    Hazard Sterling Cabaye Mahrez Fletcher
    Aguero Benteke Sakho

Ritchie will.more than likely come down in price to 5.8 this week I think.

Bournemouth have some cracking fixtures coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Is it worth bringing Wilson from Bournmouth in for Sahko(West Ham one) with the fixtures they have coming up?

Have Gomis and Aguero as the other 2 strikers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mahrez is on a great run as are Leicester if we factor in there end to last season as well. There is probably only man City who have better form over the last 10 games. I'm undecided what to do about Mahrez as I have vardy. If Leicester keep performing well I'm not so sure there will be a huge difference between Mahrez and vardys output going forward. I'll see how today's games go but I could upgrade my cheapie mid to Mahrez and play my all out attack chip next week if needed.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ritchie will.more than likely come down in price to 5.8 this week I think.

Bournemouth have some cracking fixtures coming.

Redmond is cheaper though and in better form. I think Ayew and Wilson would be better than Ritchie and Gomis for example.

Gomis and Redmond is my favoured pairing at the minute. Redmond looked impressive two years ago in the PL when I saw bits of him. He troubles defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm putting Mahrez in just coz I hate the ****er so much

Ruining my season!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm putting Mahrez in just coz I hate the ****er so much

Ruining my season!

Think I'll be doing him too. Just figuring out who at this stage. Have to see how Mané does today and whether transfer speculation starts to speed up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Don't think anyone could have predicted Mahrez's start to the season but it's definitely wise to get him in before he goes up 0.3 this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

This thread could really explode today..... Pedro!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How many even have him?

Busts was the only one i saw but he abandoned him for the Hazard express. Assume you do?

dahat wrote: »
    How many even have him?

Busts was the only one i saw but he abandoned him for the Hazard express. Assume you do?

2 minutes before the deadline :eek: Ideally hazard gets some attacking points to stop a price fall. I may double up with haz and pedro for next week and then sell haz the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2 minutes before the deadline :eek: Ideally hazard gets some attacking points to stop a price fall. I may double up with haz and pedro for next week and then sell haz the week after.

I don't see why anyone would pay £2m more for penalty duties really. My coverage will be Pedro eventually.

I think United will break the bank this week for a striker if they need to. Regardless, they have to sign someone to score goals.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    I don't see why anyone would pay £2m more for penalty duties really. My coverage will be Pedro eventually.

Ye I agree I'm stuck with haz now so barring it looking like he will drop .2 this week I'd have no problem doubling up on the two of them next week as it's a good fixture. Before selling haz on. If haz flops today I could just go haz to Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone who claims they saw this coming from Mahrez, I'd question.

Look at Leicester and Mahrez last season,, he played pretty much all season till then, Leicester were pants, rock bottom, Mahrez had started 15 of previous 16 games, their only win coming in the 1 he was dropped.

4th April, they were 1-1 with West Ham at halftime, took Mahrez off at HT, Leicester went on to win. Leicester went on their great run, winning next 3, Mahrez on bench for all of them.

Granted he got 2 against Southampton towards the end when he got himself back in the team but I wouldn't say you could see it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Did Rooney to Wilson last night!

Alot of cash in the bank, wondering now about points hit to get that cash back into the team!!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone who claims they saw this coming from Mahrez, I'd question.

Look at Leicester and Mahrez last season,, he played pretty much all season till then, Leicester were pants, rock bottom, Mahrez had started 15 of previous 16 games, their only win coming in the 1 he was dropped.

4th April, they were 1-1 with West Ham at halftime, took Mahrez off at HT, Leicester went on to win. Leicester went on their great run, winning next 3, Mahrez on bench for all of them.

Granted he got 2 against Southampton towards the end when he got himself back in the team but I wouldn't say you could see it coming.

I'd agree that the stats weren't there but I'm still perfectly willing to give anyone who has had him since before GW1 all the credit in the world because its proven to be a great shout and not all decisions are made based on past goals and assists in any case.

All aboard the Pedro bandwagon

Have 1.8m ITB.

Plan to get Pedro:

Midfield of Sanchez Silva Mahrez Payet & 4.5m mid

It will be Payet making way leaving me .2 short.

Will be removing 1 of my 3 4.5m defenders to Taylor to get the extra dosh.

Opinions.. do I go now or do I wait until the the next GW for when I have 2FT's?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Have 1.8m ITB.

Plan to get Pedro:

Midfield of Sanchez Silva Mahrez Payet & 4.5m mid

It will be Payet making way leaving me .2 short.

Will be removing 1 of my 3 4.5m defenders to Taylor to get the extra dosh.

Opinions.. do I go now or do I wait until the the next GW for when I have 2FT's?

Keep an eye on the price rises. I'll be doing that. Hoping to save the 2 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Might have to use my wildcard:

Terry > Stephen Taylor
    Fabregas > Pedro
    Rooney > Aguero
    Hooper > Wilson

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Think either Pedro, Costa or Hazard will do just fine for Chelsea coverage. Have Costa myself along with Kun, Silva and Sanchez.

• Advertisement

Ivan has to go. Wouldn't mind freeing up some cash from defence as I have Shaw and Kolarov anyway.

The rest of my defence is Myhill, McCarthy, Huth, and Saylor.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement