Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 4 Transfer Thread (adios Rooney gu'lad)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Would getting a rest against Club Brugge in midweek not be more likely?

Totally forgot that was on and I'm a UTd fan. Shame.

Likely that would make more sense alright but I'd be still a little wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

CSF wrote: »
    It's eating me alive but I don't want to get rid of any of my midfielders for him (Depay, Ayew, Payet, Sanchez, Mane). He's cheap enough still that I can fight the tide until it becomes impossible not to but that late goal today hurt a lot.

I'm also hanging tough on him went with vardy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's eating me alive but I don't want to get rid of any of my midfielders for him (Depay, Ayew, Payet, Sanchez, Mane). He's cheap enough still that I can fight the tide until it becomes impossible not to but that late goal today hurt a lot.

He hit the post and should have had a penalty too.

I've learned hard lessons in previous years by not getting in Ramsey and Yaya when they were in red hot form and it cost me badly. I always used the excuse "they can't keep it up surely".

Every year there are breakout players like Mahrez, cheap and performing incredibly. People refuse to get them because they are adament that the form cannot be maintained. Kane was last year's example but i got him early enough and it made a big difference to my push up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,049 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zarquon wrote: »

I've learned hard lessons in previous years by not getting in Ramsey and Yaya when they were in red hot form and it cost me badly. I always used the excuse "they can't keep it up surely".

Every year there are breakout players like Mahrez, cheap and performing incredibly. People refuse to get them because they are adament that the form cannot be maintained. Kane was last year's example but i got him early enough and it made a big difference to my push up the rankings.

Ah I know the examples all too well. But that doesn't mean EVERY player who starts that well goes the way. I won't be fighting the tide much longer put it that way. But for now I shall will him to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

And an assist. He's a legit captaincy option imo if Aguero isn't playing

• Advertisement

Ah I know the examples all too well. But that doesn't mean EVERY player who starts that well goes the way. I won't be fighting the tide much longer put it that way. But for now I shall will him to fail.

Not every player, but he has scored 6 goals in his last 6 PL games now and 2 goals in preseason. He is now on penalties too. That's hot form over the last 4 months and i've also learned a hard lesson that form over fixtures and price is the way to go.

Not every player, but has scored 6 goals in his last 6 PL games now and 2 goals in preseason. That's hot form over the last 4 months and i've also learned a hard lesson that form over fixtures and price is the way to go.

I do see it, Payet out for him is a consideration. But I really want Payet. I'm struggling to take out a player I expect to do better than Mahrez just to avoid getting burnt.

I do see it, Payet out for him is a consideration. But I really want Payet. I'm struggling to take out a player I expect to do better than Mahrez just to avoid getting burnt.

Right now, Mahrez is a better player than Payet. West Ham scored 3 goals today and payet blanked. I don't understand the fascination with keeping Payet ahead of Mahrez. I think the price puts people off as they think it's just a short term bandwagon. The same thing happened me two years ago with ramsey and i eventually got him in for nearly 1.5m more expensive than i could have after many others had cleaned up on him.

Baseline prices are higher this year and requires at least 2 bargain overperformers to allow for big hitters and for me Mahrez fits the bill. His stats are incredible. 13 goal attempts, 21 penalty box touches and 8 chances created. If Hazard, Sanchez or Silva had those stats, everyone would be falling over themselves to get them in and here we have a midfielder that is central to everything Leicester does, doing all this at half the price of the "big hitters". Remember that the likes of 3 bigs that i mentioned are in teams filled with superstars battling for a share of the bonus points while Mahrez has little talent to contend with in the leicester as he hoovers up the bonus points for the next while.

Right now, Mahrez is a better player than Payet. West Ham scored 3 goals today and payet blanked. I don't understand the fascination with keeping Payet ahead of Mahrez. I think the price puts people off as they think it's just a short term bandwagon. The same thing happened me two years ago with ramsey and i eventually got him in for nearly 1.5m more expensive than i could have after many others had cleaned up on him.

Baseline prices are higher this year and requires at least 2 bargain overperformers to allow for big hitters and for me Mahrez fits the bill. His stats are incredible. 13 goal attempts, 21 penalty touches and 8 chances created. If Hazard, Sanchez or Silva had those stats, everyone would be falling over themselves to get them in and here we have a midfielder that is central to everything Leicester does, doing all this at half the price of the "big hitters". Remember that the likes of 3 bigs that i mentioned are in teams filled with superstars battling for a share of the bonus points while Mahrez has little talent to contend with in the leicester as he hoovers up the bonus points for the next while.
    You are making sense to be fair. Who would you value higher, Payet or Ayew?

You are making sense to be fair. Who would you value higher, Payet or Ayew?

I think Payet but only marginally He averaged a goal about every 5 games and 1 assist in 2 games last year versus Ayew's 1 goal in 3 and 1 assist in 10.

Apply those stats to the 38 game PL ignoring a percentage factor difference due to additional league difficulty (same factor so negates individual benefit) and you would have roughly:

Payet: 7 goals 19 assist = 92 points
    Ayew: 13 goals 4 assist = 77 points.

I'd expect Ayew to pickup some extra clean sheet points over Payet so there would be minimal difference in their expected points. This is why i believe FPL priced Payet at 7.5 and Ayew at 7.0. They don't pluck prices out of their arse, they price based on statistical analysis and thus they expect Payet to outperform Ayew by 7% based on original baseline value. Apply those figures to the 92 point projection (ignoring a difficulty factor for PL versus Ligue 1) and this would give 85 points to Ayew. This is exactly in line with what i would expect.

To summarise i think Payet and Ayew offer the exact same value for money at the moment and there is nothing to choose between them except for variables such as form and fixtures which makes them interchangeable.

Mahrez was definitely underpriced and i'm kicking myself that i took a punt on Ritchie instead of Mahrez at the start. Mahrez was in my drafts but i didn't know he'd be on penalties and that sealed the deal for me for this season.

Ritchie is still on my watchlist as he is underperforming. If he gets his game together he will offer great value for money too with a reduced price and i can see myself bringing him in then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

dahat wrote: »
    Payet to Kouate if Payets price drops below 7.5, for a hit if needed...

Depay to Silva as planned in WC.

Payet does not look like dropping?

I think Payet but only marginally He averaged a goal about every 5 games and 1 assist in 2 games last year versus Ayew's 1 goal in 3 and 1 assist in 10.

Apply those stats to the 38 game PL ignoring a percentage factor difference due to additional league difficulty (same factor so negates individual benefit) and you would have roughly:

Payet: 7 goals 19 assist = 92 points
    Ayew: 13 goals 4 assist = 77 points.

I'd expect Ayew to pickup some extra clean sheet points over Payet so there would be minimal difference in their expected points. This is why i believe FPL priced Payet at 7.5 and Ayew at 7.0. They don't pluck prices out of their arse, they price based on statistical analysis and thus they expect Payet to outperform Ayew by 7% based on original baseline value. Apply those figures to the 92 point projection (ignoring a difficulty factor for PL versus Ligue 1) and this would give 85 points to Ayew. This is exactly in line with what i would expect.

To summarise i think Payet and Ayew offer the exact same value for money at the moment and there is nothing to choose between them except for variables such as form and fixtures which makes them interchangeable.

Mahrez was definitely underpriced and i'm kicking myself that i took a punt on Ritchie instead of Mahrez at the start. Mahrez was in my drafts but i didn't know he'd be on penalties and that sealed the deal for me for this season.

Ritchie is still on my watchlist as he is underperforming. If he gets his game together he will offer great value for money too with a reduced price and i can see myself bringing him in then.
    Excellently detailed post. Mané also has to come into the discussion I suppose. Think I'll be killing myself making this decision so I'm going to have to absorb Mahrez's rise tonight and wait til I've seen all the football this weekend before making a decision on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Payet does not look like dropping?

IF was the key word there. FPL folk are fickle people.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

CSF wrote:
    It should have been impossible to you before the start of this gw! What is breaking point for you? Depay 3rd blank in a row mane on course also and that's ignoring the fact that mahrez has also out scored Sanchez ayew and payet by quiet some distance. In fantasy you need to jump on players when they are bang in form. It looks to me like you are judging players on reputation which is silly in fantasy football.

dakid wrote: »
    It should have been impossible to you before the start of this gw! What is breaking point for you? Depay 3rd blank in a row mane on course also and that's ignoring the fact that mahrez has also out scored Sanchez ayew and payet by quiet some distance. In fantasy you need to jump on players when they are bang in form. It looks to me like you are judging players on reputation which is silly in fantasy football.

This isn't a good post. The notion that you should go for players who have started well ahead of the players you think will do well isn't a good one. If we follow such a logic everyone would have had Eric Dier at this stage last season and be onto an absolute stinker. We are predetermined to remember the Ramsey's and the Toure's because they absolutely annihilated people whereas those Dier 1 points for the few weeks after it didn't, they were a minor inconvenience as opposed to weeks and weeks of torture.

You could make the argument that such is a reason to play it safe by bringing such players in but nobodies season was killed by Ramsey or Toure by GW3. Form is absolutely above reputation or fixtures but it's not black and white either. Sometimes you have to go with the flock and sometimes you have to go against the grain and go with what you see happening instead. Otherwise you're frequently going to be a few GWs behind the form rather than seeing it before it happens which has generally been what has kept me consistently inside the top 1% rather than being reactive.

Zarquon's stats do make Mahrez more appealing (I haven't seen any of this weekend's football and won't until I get home from Germany on Monday evening) but your implication that I would take Depay out for Mahrez because Mahrez has a higher overall score than him so far is not a good or persuasive argument. Depay will explode sooner rather than later. It's coming like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mahrez had decent stats for his price before this season. I posted them before but he's returned a goal or assist in every three games for Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Lemlin wrote: »
    Mahrez had decent stats for his price before this season. I posted the before but he's returned a goal or assist in every three games for Leicester.

Yep agree. The only proper thing I've got right myself too in fpl this year. Didn't expect Mahrez to carry these performances from GW1 to now though. Class act, like HBA but with more consistency

Lemlin wrote: »
    Mahrez had decent stats for his price before this season. I posted the before but he's returned a goal or assist in every three games for Leicester.

Solid but unspectacular stats from his last season. A goal or assist every 231 minutes for him last year with more of them being assists than goals. Mané 142 mins for reference and some closer in value Walters 172 mins and Puncheon 217 mins. It's his first 3 games this year that has really seen him explode into everyone's radar where previously he had only earned the right through his output to be a decent cheapie option.

Today was the first Leicester match I've watched in full and Mahrez passes both the eye and stats test. I think he's a must personally at his price and the fixtures Leicester have coming up

Solid but unspectacular stats from his last season. A goal or assist every 231 minutes for him last year with more of them being assists than goals. Mané 142 mins for reference and some closer in value Walters 172 mins and Puncheon 217 mins. It's his first 3 games this year that has really seen him explode into everyone's radar where previously he had only earned the right through his output to be a decent cheapie option.

I thought he was class the few times I saw him last season and couldn't understand why Pearson didn't start him until the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

It's not rocket science either. Buy Mahrez and keep him for a few weeks. You could make a cup of tea sound complicated.

I thought he was class the few times I saw him last season and couldn't understand why Pearson didn't start him until the end

Hindsight would prove that to be correct based on his start this year. The stats weren't in his favour last year though with the minutes he did play. Ulloa, Vardy and Albrighton would have all gazumped him in terms of minutes per assist or goal. It's been these 3 opening weeks that have driven him as someone who can't not be on your radar whereas the people who had him in from GW1 can only have been doing so based on an excellent prediction (which I maintain is the daddy if you're going to escape the pack) rather than impressive overall output.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think Mahrez is much more than a flash in the pan. Obviously he won't keep the rate if returns up for the season but he'll score consistently if played consistently.

I'm going to boldly state that I was his biggest fan here last season but between not playing due to Pearson and an element of settling into the league he never really pushed past being on the radar.

At his price he's an excellent option for now and in the long term as long as Leicester's form holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mahrez is a must-have now at this stage, not only because of his form but also because of his ownership. Basically, it's an unnecessary risk not having him given his price.

I think Mahrez is much more than a flash in the pan. Obviously he won't keep the rate if returns up for the season but he'll score consistently if played consistently.

I'm going to boldly state that I was his biggest fan here last season but between not playing due to Pearson and an element of settling into the league he never really pushed past being on the radar.

At his price he's an excellent option for now and in the long term as long as Leicester's form holds up.

What do you make of Redmond. He is a serious contender on my watchlist too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mahrez is the real deal. Watched him twice now and he is a top player. I'm not saying he is the next Michu in terms of returns but he is a fourth mid for 5.8m and is outscoring everyone. Scored, hit the post, should have had an assist.

For me, I've 8.5m locked into Memphis and a week to determine whether to hold or sell on. United will find it tough to breakdown Swansea and they will have the 2nd leg of the CL playoff to come back from on Wednesday.

It was either him or Payet for the spot and it made little difference in the end.

Honestly, Redmond is seriously on my radar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mahrez didn't even register on my radar when picking my team initially, he wasn't considered once in any of my 1,000,000 drafts. He looked very much all fart and no shit to be me last season, certainly no more impressive than others players that contribute for 1 week and then disappear for a month.

I got on him this GW with my wildcard primiarly because of his price rise potential, needing someone in that price range as a 4th midfielder and Leicester's fixtures and I'm glad I did but I'll be ready to dump him quick-smart too.

I could well be wrong but I think he'll end up tailing off dramatically and this time next year we'll be saying "remember that Mahrez bandwagon".

Ah I'm not saying that either. Ranieri may have been just what he needed and there were flashes of it towards the end of the season last year too. The people who went with him from the start have to be commended for doing so. I would very much like that 35 points.

If we go by the stats of his 3 games so far alone, unquestionable choice. The stats zarquon posted will probably push me over the line with him too but at the same time I've seen him described in this thread as consistent which hasn't been the case, and I've also seen claims that not having him after GW2 was crazy which after his output last season is all I was really contending with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What do you make of Redmond. He is a serious contender on my watchlist too.

I think he's a great player and his ceiling for points is very high, if he continues like he has. The main reason I didn't big him up over all the other Norwich mids in preseason was doubts over him starting every game. Which was vindicated by him not starting the first game. He did come on and score mind.

I think Alex Neil is a terrific coach and is looking to get the best out of him and encouraging more in his game I.e. getting involved centrally more often. The way he's started this season should see him start you'd like to think. Whether he's worth a spot in midfield when the bigger hitters start performing I don't know though.

I'm beginning to think Norwich's points will probably be shared out rather than one player hoovering them up though to qualify all of the above in FPL terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mane, Walters and Puncheon were playing for better teams though.

Pearson couldn't decide what first 11 he wanted for most of the season last year. Just picking out Mahrez's stats for last season isn't really fair on that basis.

He now has 18 attacking returns in 53 games for Leicester. That's a superb return for a player at his price point.

Advertisement