Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

why would you take money off the card? surely just spend it?

I've had a few friends in England and the US owe me money for buying tickets this month, dead handy to get them to pay me through revolut and then withdraw to bank account than deal with international transfer waiting times/crap currency rates/fees. (and the £5 referal fee is an added bonus :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

crazyderk wrote: »
    Just to give everyone some feedback on using this card.

I went to the UK on the weekend and used it all weekend with no problems.
    I topped up via credit card before I left. no cash advance fee from my credit card company. ATM's worked no issue. paying for food/Drinks in pubs with no issue. the great thing is that in the app the transactions and balance are all displayed within seconds of being processed so its great knowing exactly where you stand with the card.

no issues with changing pin or the app.

I've had zero issues with this card and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Great to hear because I'm heading to Newcastle and London on two weeks for RWC and was starting to have seconds thoughts after the last few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

maximoose wrote: »
    I've had a few friends in England and the US owe me money for buying tickets this month, dead handy to get them to pay me through revolut and then withdraw to bank account than deal with international transfer waiting times/crap currency rates/fees. (and the £5 referal fee is an added bonus :pac:)

how do other people put money on your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

how do other people put money on your card?
    It shows up in your app if any of your contacts have revolut can just send money to them that way.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It shows up in your app if any of your contacts have revolut can just send money to them that way.

oh, thats nice.... I like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Xcellor

duffman13 wrote: »
    I used a credit card on a test run and a cash advance didn't appear. AIB Mastercard

I managed to top up with credit card once and then after that "Code: ,"

You are only supposed to be able to top up with Debit cards, according to their FAQs and customer support just told me the same. I said I was able to top up with Credit card before and in normal support fashion have not received a reply.

More than likely they released before they fully tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd only top up by the amount(s) I would need in the short term.
    At the moment doesn't sound like something I would leave a large balance in.
    Easy enough to transfer money into as well.
    Still can't figure how they will make money going forward.

Xcellor wrote: »
    I managed to top up with credit card once and then after that "Code: ,"

You are only supposed to be able to top up with Debit cards, according to their FAQs and customer support just told me the same. I said I was able to top up with Credit card before and in normal support fashion have not received a reply.

More than likely they released before they fully tested.

arent 99% of debit cards, visa debit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Niemoj wrote: »
    Friend signed up, used her married and the card she used to top up being in her maiden name. Support got a bit iffy saying she needed to take a pic with a bank statement and ID and all this, account is blocked now and she's waiting for support to unblock.

I can understand them being weary about fraud but this plus the fact support takes donkeys to respond is a nuisance.

All was resolved anyway, account verified and she's delighted with herself.

An essentially free MasterCard for a whole year, cheers again OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

I thought it would be safer to use a bank transfer rather than give them debit card details. Also I thought that once the payee details were created in my bank account there would be no likelyhood of keying in incorrect info.

• Advertisement

Delofan wrote: »
    I thought it would be safer to use a bank transfer rather than give them debit card details. Also I thought that once the payee details were created in my bank account there would be no likelyhood of keying in incorrect info.

you do have to 'verify by visa' for any payments. there is that added step of security. But generally anything backed by Barry Maloney of Balderton Capital is in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Xcellor

When matters of a financial nature happen by "chance" it makes me very nervous....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Delofan wrote: »
    Signed up and transferred €10 to my Revolut account on 5th Sept. Used a bank transfer having created a payee for Revolut.

It hit my account on the 9th Sept.

On 10th I transferred €50 using the same bank transfer payee to Revolut. On the 17th no sign of the money in my account. Contacted Revolut support. They requested bank statement of transaction. Sent screenshots of this immediately.

Contacted support again on 18th re progress. No reply to date.

Will update post when I have further information.

It seems like a great concept but this is the first time I have had a bank transfer go missing.
    Having a similar problem at the moment - a smallish bank transfer has gone missing.

Only used bank transfer because I wasn't able to top up using a credit/debit card, unlike the first time I tried.

It's a real pain cause it seems like it has the potential to be a great service; am going to Hong Kong and China in two months and would love to feel confident enough in the service to transfer a few grand into the account and use that day-to-day while on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

I contacted support again this morning. After lots of exchanges mainly looking for the information which I had already supplied the final message was ' I just reported this to the finance team to sort out for you'

I await the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Been using this awhile mostly for online shopping and all was well until today I tried to pay for tyres and first it was charging me in sterling for some reason and my pin was incorrect even tho it is the incorrect number and is showed on app as the pin. Luckily enough I had cash with me, so I went to atm to withdraw and pin worked but it tells me I dont have funds.

I contact support and they tell me my card is blocked and I have to send bank statements from cards showing Revolut top ups to unblock and access the money I put into it. So just be careful guys putting too much money into these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone else find their chat support replies a bit short? Simple "yes" and "no" answers as if they are a bit tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Had to send them some details of statements etc and it is unblocked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

It appears that you can no longer top up with a credit card, only with a debit card.

I topped up with my credit card at the beginning of the month so they've obviously introduced this since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

polaris68 wrote: »
    It appears that you can no longer top up with a credit card, only with a debit card.

I topped up with my credit card at the beginning of the month so they've obviously introduced this since then.

Shoot, that's disappointing. Ah it was good when it lasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Makes sense from their point of view I suppose, to only allow top up from actual rather than notional sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Same as the PostFX card. Debit card only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wonder what is the reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I topped up with them on Thursday the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

crazyderk wrote: »
    I topped up with them on Thursday the 17th.

Out of interest, try it again.

My credit card was refused when I tried topping up last evening. Checked with support and they said debit cards only.

I successfully topped up with the credit card on Sept 3rd so I'm guessing they have upgraded their "system".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

irishgeo wrote: »

Charges most likely and also as far as I remember it takes a lot longer for cc payments to be finalised on the other end. Basically it's a lot easier to recall fraudulent transactions so if a card is stolen you wouldn't need a pin to withdraw cash on one of these as you can just transfer the money to Revolut and withdraw up to 1500. Surprised it took them this long to patch it.

*I'd presume the credit card companies are just treating Revolut as another merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Out of interest, try it again.

My credit card was refused when I tried topping up last evening. Checked with support and they said debit cards only.

I successfully topped up with the credit card on Sept 3rd so I'm guessing they have upgraded their "system".

Can confirm not working or me now either on my CC after using it a few times so far. Oh well, will still be handly for my trips early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Racket wrote: »
    Can confirm not working or me now either on my CC after using it a few times so far. Oh well, will still be handly for my trips early next year.

tried it this morning and didnt work on card just got error. odd it still lets you add the card and goes to the verified by mastercard page and then declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Early on when it was released first i lumped a load of money onto it with my 0% cc. Happy days, basically a free loan. Withdrew to bank account, however by the looks of things this has been patched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

irishgeo wrote: »

Merchants would generally be charged a fixed rate for debit card transactions, in our case it is 13 cent for visa debit and 8 cent for visa contactless (max value of €15) and it is the same charge no matter what the value.

With credit cards it is a % charged. From 0.75% upto 3.5% of the transaction value for some coporate cards.

American express is the worst for us as we have to pay €15 if there is a single transaction in a month and then €3 plus a % per transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭curiosity

Signed up last week, took them 17-ish hours to verify my passport. I found the 'support' function on the app a pain to use, kept reverting to the sign-in page as I waited for them to verify my account. Having the 'verified by Visa' screen appear when I put some funds on (via my debit card) was reassuring. Just converted 14 euros into 15.63 dollars, whereas own my bank would have offered only 15.18 dollars (plus 1.27 euros commission).

The support@revolut.com address is slow to respond, but I did get a reply, albeit two days later.

All in all, I'm liking Revolut so far :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement