Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

chair28 wrote: »
    What's with the attitude? I ordered one and still haven't received it. I've been in touch several times and nobody seems to have a clue what's going on. I've been told 3 different reasons why the card isn't here by the same guy. It's pathetic and I'm only putting it in here just so people would know what to expect.... So keep your smart arse comments to yourself ffs

I'd say they're falling over backwards to help you given your charming manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm having problems with it on a site I use and the site's support reckons it could be because the country of issue (UK?) doesn't match my Irish address.

Bit pointless if that's the case... for me anyway!

I had a similar issue with one site. It also worked in my favour with a different UK retailer who wouldn't accept an Irish card. I could use the Revolut card no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm having problems with it on a site I use and the site's support reckons it could be because the country of issue (UK?) doesn't match my Irish address.

Bit pointless if that's the case... for me anyway!

Support told me i could change the address to my Parcel motel one. If you can use that as your billing and your Irish one as your delivery, it might solve your problem. (if you have a PM address that is, easy to set up in any case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

I'd say they're falling over backwards to help you given your charming manner.

Whats wrong with my manner? Ive been nothing but civil to them...
    Ive been waiting 18 days for this card and nobody in the place can give me a proper answer.... you seemed to take offence to negative criticism? you work for them? It was probably you i was speaking to. Amateur hour

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Putting a bit of context first time around might have helped.

Why would I need to do that? I was just giving my opinion. you and Killbill seem to have some sort of affiliation with it. Its an absolute joke of a company that they cant even get basic customer service right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Why would I need to do that? I was just giving my opinion. you and Killbill seem to have some sort of affiliation with it. Its an absolute joke of a company that they cant even get basic customer service right.

Well now if you had of given some background people could have told you work around that has worked for others. Go on to your app and block the card and then reissue a new one if your still interested, drop support a message to say your doing this because your original never arrived after 18 days.

Also people have been somewhat defensive as the company has grown at ridiculous pace over a two month period. As others have said it's a free product and the support team seems extremely stretched but by all means don't use the service if your unhappy. I think a lot of people have decided to give the benefit of the doubt as support was good at the start before the explosion of sign ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

:pac::pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

All good in Ireland then when back for that wedding last week. Topped up 3 times in total. Converted to euro and pulled out of ATM. Changed pin using the app also.

Gave that halifax card a runout also. Need to remember to pay in euro though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Woden wrote: »
    All good in Ireland then when back for that wedding last week. Topped up 3 times in total. Converted to euro and pulled out of ATM. Changed pin using the app also.

Gave that halifax card a runout also. Need to remember to pay in euro though

Is there any need for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hmm not sure actually. I thought i'd have to have it in EUR rather than withdraw in EUR on the fly getting whatever the rate is at the time of withdrawal with the balance in GBP but I've not tried that. Anyone given it a go?

Also even with the balance in EUR the BOI ATM's where seeing it as a UK card and offering me direct GBP conversions which I had to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Is there any need for that?

I've used it at atms in Thailand and Cambodia and continued with conversion by mistake once or twice however have still got the same rate from the card not the machine.

How do you get your pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

How do you get your pin?

Go in the app and go to "my card" and it should say "show pin"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Back after a week in the US, worked at ATMs, at tills in various shops and through those iPad as POS devices. Top ups were painless and easy to do as I went along (it helped having mobile data over there).

One issue I did have was in a shop where I said it was a debit card so it asked me to swipe the card and enter my PIN, the PIN was incorrect. This was fixed by saying it was a credit card so when I swiped it recognised it was Chip and PIN so told me to use the chip reader and the PIN worked that time. I think this was more down to the US's very painful/slow switch over to chip and PIN rather than Revolut.

Kind of cool/creepy to get a notification of "$X spent in FULL DETAILS OF SHOP" very quickly after paying for something.
    johnnykilo wrote: »
    The App seems to be asking me to enter my name, address and DOB now (pretty sure I entered most of these when I signed up) but I can't get past this screen whenever I now open the App.. They're also looking for a photo of me but they can jog on if they think I'm providing them with one, I don't mind scanning my ID if it's needed but I don't see the need for a profile Pic. Anyway I seem to be stuck on this screen for some reason (unless the profile pic is a required field :confused: ) Anyone else having problems?
    This happened to me, I force closed the app and it fixed the issue.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tried to pay for a registered parcel to be sent via post office just now with my Revolut card and "this card cannot be used for this transaction" is the error the girls in the post office told me came up, a bit surprised with that as I've used it a few times already over last few days for normal chip and pin transactions, no bother using it in Smyths or woodies DIY.

Edit: just to add, I was able to go down the road and pay for diesel 5 mins after the card was "refused" in the post office, seems strange that An Post would not take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Tried to pay for a registered parcel to be sent via post office just now with my Revolut card and "this card cannot be used for this transaction" is the error the girls in the post office told me came up, a bit surprised with that as I've used it a few times already over last few days for normal chip and pin transactions, no bother using it in Smyths or woodies DIY.

Edit: just to add, I was able to go down the road and pay for diesel 5 mins after the card was "refused" in the post office, seems strange that An Post would not take it.

As far as I know An Post do not accept credit cards only debit cards for parcels. This card is coded as a credit card to merchants.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just going to sign up today, so people put in a UK or Irish address for buying from the UK?
    Or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Just received my card this morning, Snazzy packaging :) Will be using it mainly for a trip to the US next month. So thanks very much to the OP & transaction free withdrawls & good exchange rates from Revolut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just going to sign up today, so people put in a UK or Irish address for buying from the UK?
    Or does it matter?

Was going to ask the same question ??

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Did anyone try to book rent a car with Revolut? Since it's treated as a credit card it might work..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    As far as I know An Post do not accept credit cards only debit cards for parcels. This card is coded as a credit card to merchants.

Ah that would explain it so, thanks, surprised it's classed as a credit card thou as it's useless without any money in our account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ah that would explain it so, thanks, surprised it's classed as a credit card thou as it's useless without any money in our account.

I know, its the same as prepaid mastercards you get from shopping centres. I think its something to do with being able to use a credit card to top up the cards. So you could hypothetically use the credit card to buy a prepaid card to pay off the credit card. A circle of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'd say it's because the fees revolut receive from the vendor are higher it being a credit card than a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

soirish wrote: »
    Did anyone try to book rent a car with Revolut? Since it's treated as a credit card it might work..
    Might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Have seen lads in here talking about using it in Thailand etc
    Am headed to Kuala Lumpur myself in a few weeks & thinking about trialing this, so basically you just lodge money to your € balance & then use in an ATM there to withdraw the local currency & it should give you the best rate minus fees, have I got that right?

Am just a bit unclear of using it in countries that arent based in £/$/€ as per the app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Have seen lads in here talking about using it in Thailand etc
    Am headed to Kuala Lumpur myself in a few weeks & thinking about trialing this, so basically you just lodge money to your € balance & then use in an ATM there to withdraw the local currency & it should give you the best rate minus fees, have I got that right?

Am just a bit unclear of using it in countries that arent based in £/$/€ as per the app

Yeah, you can use it to withdraw any currency or buy something in any currency. Whatever currency you currently have your revolut funds set to, it will do the best exchange rate and take from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Nice one, hopefully it all goes ok for me over there so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Weeks later and verification still stuck on "Processing". Can't even get a response from customer support.

Don't trust them at all now, think I'll just take the hit and use my debit card on holidays altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Right lads looking for a bit of advice. I'm heading to the UK Friday for three nights and will be transferring more funds to it tomorrow.

I have my ID verified and have changed my pin and drawn money to make sure it's working.

Just wondering would I be better to leave the money in euros and draw sterling from their ATMs or would I be better off to transfer the money to sterling before travelling or is it a case of 6 of on and half dozen.

Basically I'm asking which way will I pay less fees.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Heading to the states in Decemberfor five days. I'll just top it up day by day on the app instead of one lump sum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement