Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I got the card delivered fast, and am currently in the USA. Looking forward to trying this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Account got blocked coz i tried to use paypal and paddy power. Trying to get it unlocked. Gave photo of credit card... passport... then the support lad asked me to take a photo of myself with the passport page open by my face! I asked him if he wanted a urine sample too. Bit over the top... Think if you dont verify your account this could happen a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

23 pages...what are people using this for? How are you saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

23 pages...what are people using this for? How are you saving?

For me, it's over inflated exchange rates and fees.

E.G.
    Paypal tends to prefer the highest/worst exchange rate of the month, and then charge for converting it.

Revolut doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

To avoid cross border handling fees on my boi MasterCard and the terrible exchange rate on PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Ordering stuff at the USD price on various Chinese sites, the Euro equivalent on the sites tends to be a bit dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Using abroad at ATMs and as a credit card with no fees (unless the foreign bank/ATM has a fee, which you would get with every other card), and a better exchange rate.

(example, in the US, some ATMs charged me $3 to use.
    If I used my AIB Visa debit, I would be charged $3, and then have AIB charge me a 1% commission fee, a 2.5% currency conversion fee, and then give me the $ at the current AIB rate, which is €1 = $1.10 now.

If I use revolut, I pay the $3 ATM fee. No other fees. The exchange rate is €1 = $1.13 right now.

No brainer!)

Used in the US in dollars, and will be using in Thailand/SE Asia soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I've been using it to pay for some items in USD. Taking advantage of the much better rates. It will also be used for my trip back to Ireland next week. Some of my UK cards are expensive when used at home. I've also sent some money to friends on it to pay for lunch.

I did also recently pick up this credit card from halifax in the uk also which has no fees abroad and should use the mastercard published rate

Not sure if there is an equivalent at home

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card
    https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Verifying your account via the app, has anyone had much luck with this?

Don't really want to email a pic to them
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Cheers

I had no problems with it. Lined up my passport until all the lines of the box went green (took a little while to get the position right long enough, but eventually did).
    Took about an hour to verify I think or maybe more, but got no questions from support etc.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Grand I'll go with the passport so, instead of the drivers licence.

I had the drivers licence lined up for ages, with all the sides green, but nothing happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Grand I'll go with the passport so, instead of the drivers licence.

I had the drivers licence lined up for ages, with all the sides green, but nothing happened

I wonder if its expecting the new card one or the pink one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Withdrew €30 from an AIB ATM today, went through grand, no fuss, no fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just got mine delivered, only got it because I'm off to the USA in December and I want to use it for my spending money (withdrawing from ATMs, using the card in shops etc.). Would ye recommend I put ALL my spending money on at once or would it be smarter to top it up as I need to from my bank account?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes support to respond?

Been waiting since 4:39pm for a response and nothing so far, I suppose they must just be busy.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just got mine delivered, only got it because I'm off to the USA in December and I want to use it for my spending money (withdrawing from ATMs, using the card in shops etc.). Would ye recommend I put ALL my spending money on at once or would it be smarter to top it up as I need to from my bank account?

We’ve all pretty much established that this company is legit and not a scam so you could put all your money on it but as the top ups are instant you can just do it in bits and pieces.

I'd do the latter if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

martyos121 wrote: »

I'd top it up as you go, at least that way if you go under budget for the trip your money is still sitting in your bank account rather than on the card!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thanks, I think I'll just top up as I need to. Haven't been following the thread as closely as some so I was a bit out of the loop, this looks a great top-up card though, can't see any drawbacks to it at all. Wouldn't have found out about it if not for boards either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

maximoose wrote: »
    I'd top it up as you go, at least that way if you go under budget for the trip your money is still sitting in your bank account rather than on the card!

How soon do the top-ups come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Sono

Cheers

Spent an age with passport and drivers licence, had them lined up all corners went green loads of times and it just would not respond to it, very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    How soon do the top-ups come through?

When I top my Revolut up with my AIB visa debit card, it goes through instantly.

Just signed up....should be handy for amazon.co.uk orders anyways..... :)

Thank you op

EDIT: Also, fyi from their FAQ section, just to be aware of...

1 year subscription it is so :P

What's the benefit of using it for Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What's the benefit of using it for Amazon?

I think most people are using it for the superior exchange rate. Just convert it into ££ on the revolut app and don't use Amazon's own currency exchange rate as it's pretty terrible.

Then you're also saving over your own banks exchange rate fee if applicable.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I think most people are using it for the superior exchange rate. Just convert it into ££ on the revolut app and don't use Amazon's own currency exchange rate as it's pretty terrible.

Then you're also saving over your own banks exchange rate fee if applicable.

I didn't know banks charged you for shopping from Amazon! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If you pay in a foreign currency (E.G. Amazon UK - Sterling), the Banks charge you their exchange rates and charge you for converting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

dmcg90 wrote:

They charge you for buying in sterling with a euro card. Everything on Amazon UK is listed in sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

revz wrote: »

Used in the US in dollars, and will be using in Thailand/SE Asia soon.

Just on this, it's been good in Thailand but brilliant in Cambodia, they use US dollars and the rates offered by the local banks were awful in comparison to revolut. You pay a flat 4 dollar fee to the local ATM but other than that your saving a decent wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This looks great, that extra few quid lumped on top every time I buy something in Sterling really pisses me off. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭henke

Any handy way to verify yourself. The app is a disaster taking a picture and doing nothing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just heard of this crowd today, have a Neteller card but charged a lot of fees.
    Any one know if its okay to use the card for sports betting and trading and can i use my neteller card to top it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement