Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I love this card, withdraw money in Thailand and got 41 baht per euro, mate withdraw the same money using his aib debit card and paid 8 euro extra on a 250 withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

duffman13 wrote: »
    I love this card, withdraw money in Thailand and got 41 baht per euro, mate withdraw the same money using his aib debit card and paid 8 euro extra on a 250 withdrawal

Nice. Were you hit for the local 150 baht fee at the ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Am I still protected online when I make purchases with this? If it's just MasterCard and not a debit card then we can still charge back if anything goes wrong?

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (UK)
    75. — (1) If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor.

Read it in full
    (2) Subject to any agreement between them, the creditor shall be entitled to be indemnified by the supplier for loss suffered by the creditor in satisfying his liability under sub-section (1), including costs reasonably incurred by him in defending proceedings instituted by the debtor.

(3) Sub-section (1) does not apply to a claim:

(a) under a non-commercial agreement,
    (b) so far as the claim relates to a single item to which the supplier has attached a cash price not exceeding £100 or more than £30,000, or
    (c) under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement for running-account credit:

(i) which provides for the making of payments by the debtor in relation to specified periods which, in the case of an agreement which is not secured on land, do not exceed three months, and
    (ii) which requires that the number of payments to be made by the debtor in repayments of the whole amount of the credit provided in each such period shall not exceed one.
    (4) This section applies notwithstanding that the debtor, in entering into the transaction, exceeded the credit limit or otherwise contravened any term of the agreement.

(5) In an action brought against the creditor under sub-section (1) he shall be entitled, in accordance with rules of court, to have the supplier made a party in the proceedings.

75A - (1) If the debtor under a linked credit agreement has a claim against the supplier in respect of a breach of contract the debtor may pursue that claim against the creditor where any of the conditions in subsection (2) are met.

(2) The conditions in subsection (1) are:

(a) that the supplier cannot be traced,
    (b) that the debtor has contacted the supplier but the supplier has not responded,
    (c) that the supplier is insolvent, or
    (d) that the debtor has taken reasonable steps to pursue his claim against the supplier but has not obtained satisfaction for his claim.
    (3) The steps referred to in subsection (2)(d) need not include litigation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (2)(d) a debtor is to be deemed to have obtained satisfaction where he has accepted a replacement product or service or other compensation from the supplier in settlement of his claim.

(5) In this section “linked credit agreement” means a regulated consumer credit agreement which serves exclusively to finance an agreement for the supply of specific goods or the provision of a specific service and where:

(a) the creditor uses the services of the supplier in connection with the preparation or making of the credit agreement, or
    (b) the specific goods or provision of a specific service are explicitly specified in the credit agreement.
    (6) This section does not apply where:

(a) the cash value of the goods or service is £30, 000 or less,
    (b) the linked credit agreement is for credit which exceeds £60, 260, or
    (c) the linked credit agreement is entered into by the debtor wholly or predominantly for the purposes of a business carried on, or intended to be carried on, by him.
    (7) Subsections (2) to (5) of section 16B (declaration by the debtor as to the purposes of the agreement) apply for the purposes of subsection (6)(c).

(8) This section does not apply to an agreement secured on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

On the app, I'm clicking show PIN but nothing happens? I have the physical card with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

Sono wrote: »
    I can't seem to verify my account with my drivers licence, it's one of the new ones but it doesn't seem to work, anyone else have similar issues?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone?

Just e-mail support@revolut.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Are you struggling to get the border lines to go green?

It took me an age, my only advice is to stick with it! Slow and steady movements :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Techmaster wrote: »
    On the app, I'm clicking show PIN but nothing happens? I have the physical card with me.

Had the same problem myself, uninstall the app and then reinstall did the trick.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Had the same problem myself, uninstall the app and then reinstall did the trick.

Blocking and then unblocking the card worked for me.

Also, anyone having issues scanning an ID on the app, contact support and email them your ID. That's what I did, and was verified within a few minutes. The scanner is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Nice. Were you hit for the local 150 baht fee at the ATM?

Yep unfortunately, was hoping this might sort it but no luck. The only positive is that it doesn't seem to limit my withdrawals, so one lump will save me money. I also just noticed aib hasn't taken the commission charge from my mates account yet so may have actually saved more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Last week I bought tickets for a grand total of $1218.40 on my regular TSB Visa Debit card

Now that the trx has cleared I was comparing what I paid vs Revolut, I was charged €1107.72 inc currency conversion fees - Revolut would have saved me €40.46. D'oh.

Planning to use the card in India next month. Any ATM fees I should know about?

maximoose wrote: »
    Are you struggling to get the border lines to go green?

It took me an age, my only advice is to stick with it! Slow and steady movements :pac:

I tried passport and drivers licence, both of which went green at the edges, held it there for ages on both id's and nothing happened, absolute nightmare! I've dropped them a message so will see what they say back to me. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

snubbleste wrote: »
    We earn a nominal fee paid to us by merchants every time you use Revolut Card.
    I wonder will companies stop accepting the card if it becomes popular, if the nominal fee ain't so nominal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

soirish wrote: »
    Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (UK)

So you are saying yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Makes no difference to the individual company as they will be paying a merchant service payment provider such as Elavon or Bank of Ireland payment providers for example. So I guess it depends if the likes of Elavon will put a loading on like they do with some business cards with air miles etc.

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder will companies stop accepting the card if it becomes popular, if the nominal fee ain't so nominal?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Changed my pin through an ulster bank free standing unit

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cartwheel

I was having trouble topping up with my credit card. I kept getting 'No external card found' error with both my credit and debit card.
    I contacted them through the support button in the app and they said that they had blocked me because I used the revolut card to put money in my Bet 365 account.

They unblocked me on the condition I didn't use it for Betting websites again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Did they explain their rational for it not to be used on betting sites?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Used it in Tesco today, €2 Pringles (dont judge:pac:) and worked perfectly.

Loving this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 cartwheel

Frynge wrote: »
    Did they explain their rational for it not to be used on betting sites?
    No. I assume it's in the T&C, must look into it. They said

"Unfortunately you used your card with bet365 on 11th september, we do not allow our card to be used with betting merchants

I'm going to unblock your account, but please refrain from using gambling sites in the future"

I thanked them for the lifestyle advice.

Guys what are my limitations on my account if choose not to verify my account? They want me to take pics of me holding the id then a pic of the id by itself and send it into them and kinda not arsed doing this but will if it's absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

cartwheel wrote: »

"Unfortunately you used your card with bet365 on 11th september, we do not allow our card to be used with betting merchants

I'm going to unblock your account, but please refrain from using gambling sites in the future"

From the T&C on the website:
    9.1 In connection with your use of the Revolut Services, or in the course of your interactions with the Issuing Bank, Revolut Limited, other Users, or third parties, you will not:
    Use the Revolut Services to purchase or sell, or to facilitate the purchase or sale of, illegal goods or services, including, but not limited to: unlawful sexually oriented materials or services, counterfeit products, unlawful gambling activities, fraud, money laundering, the funding of terrorist organizations, or the unlawful purchase or sale of tobacco, firearms, prescription drugs, or other controlled substances;

Since there's nothing unlawful about bet365, I think you should challenge them on it.. I wonder what would be considered unlawful gambling activities? Maybe trying to lodge money into a US based gambling site, since they made it illegal a few years ago.

Guys what are my limitations on my account if choose not to verify my account? They want me to take pics of me holding the id then a pic of the id by itself and send it into them and kinda not arsed doing this but will if it's absolutely necessary.

You can use away up until you hit the €1500 limit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do I change my physical address? I go to 'my profile' and edit, it just reverts to original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cartwheel wrote: »

_dof_ wrote: »
    From the T&C on the website:
    9.1 In connection with your use of the Revolut Services, or in the course of your interactions with the Issuing Bank, Revolut Limited, other Users, or third parties, you will not:
    Use the Revolut Services to purchase or sell, or to facilitate the purchase or sale of, illegal goods or services, including, but not limited to: unlawful sexually oriented materials or services, counterfeit products, unlawful gambling activities, fraud, money laundering, the funding of terrorist organizations, or the unlawful purchase or sale of tobacco, firearms, prescription drugs, or other controlled substances;

Since there's nothing unlawful about bet365, I think you should challenge them on it.. I wonder what would be considered unlawful gambling activities? Maybe trying to lodge money into a US based gambling site, since they made it illegal a few years ago.

They blocked mine for trying to lodge money to the national lottery! Same response - please don't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Please note that only the first physical card is delivered free of charge, there is a fee off €7 for consequent physical card orders.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Please note that only the first physical card is delivered free of charge, there is a fee off €7 for consequent physical card orders.

Seems fair enough tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Shame its not apple pay or contactless enabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just signed up....should be handy for amazon.co.uk orders anyways..... :)

Thank you op

EDIT: Also, fyi from their FAQ section, just to be aware of...
    We reserve the right to change our pricing structure after the first 12 months of using the Revolut service, however, we do not expect there to be a significant change. Revolut was launched with the ambition to offer a fair and transparent alternative to foreign exchange with no hidden fees and we fully intend to live by that philosophy.

We would never charge our customers without clearly explaining the changes and asking their express permission to sign them up on a subscription basis.

1 year subscription it is so :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement