Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BailMeOut wrote: »
    What these 4p / per lookup companies are offering are API lookups. That's the value they add.

I know, I'm using one. :)

I had originally looked at licensing the ECAD, but there was substantially less coding effort required and much more manageable costs to use an API when one became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

oscarBravo wrote: »

I had originally looked at licensing the ECAD, but there was substantially less coding effort required and much more manageable costs to use an API when one became available.

do you mind if I ask what you use it for and what system you are using that is pulling eircode addresses via API?

I never got the complains about the adoption of eircode not being instant! It was always going to be a slow and organic adoption as it all comes down to software and systems being developed or changed. The killer change in adoption and use will be when Google support it which is only a matter of time.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    do you mind if I ask what you use it for and what system you are using that is pulling eircode addresses via API?

I have several thousand customers, most in rural locations with non-unique addresses, and I regularly need to send engineers out to them on maintenance calls. Every customer with an Eircode is a customer my engineers don't have to ring and spend ages listening to misleading directions, getting lost, ringing again...

Our CMS is in-house developed, so integrating Eircodes was relatively easy - took me a couple of days coding to get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

TheChizler wrote: »
    It could be argued that they've already done that. They've given each address point a postcode for free, it can be used for free and given to others once you know it, and small volume users can do 15 lookups per day for free; 50 over Christmas. The premium service that Eircode provides is copies of its database in lite or full versions.

Value added resellers build applications to simplify use for companies who fall into the gap between 15 per day and the entire database, or who don't have the need or capability to to build their own applications.
    It could be argued, sure. I wouldn't agree with it though. By the way, the 15 lookups per day are not for commercial use. Going OT a bit. Will continue on other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Got letter today and the postage stamp has this on it

4jkfur.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

What will you do when Google start implementing? This is something that's confused me from the start. Why would you pay for lookups when your engineers can just pop the Eircode into Google maps directly on their phone?

It'll be interesting to see if the Google API will include Eircode lookup in addition to address lookup. It could end up cannibalising other providers business. I'm sure all of that would have come up in licence negotiations.

moyners wrote: »
    I'm sure all of that would have come up in licence negotiations.

Probably why it's taking so long

What will you do when Google start implementing? This is something that's confused me from the start. Why would you pay for lookups when your engineers can just pop the Eircode into Google maps directly on their phone?

It'll be interesting to see if the Google API will include Eircode lookup in addition to address lookup. It could end up cannibalising other providers business. I'm sure all of that would have come up in licence negotiations.

Short answer: I don't know. I'll see when it happens. I can't imagine that Google will allow unlimited lookups under the terms of the licence they've agreed with Capita.

edit: I should also point out that there are several advantages to me in being able to pinpoint groups of customers accurately on a map, independent of the engineers being able to navigate to customer premises.

Short answer: I don't know. I'll see when it happens. I can't imagine that Google will allow unlimited lookups under the terms of the licence they've agreed with Capita.

edit: I should also point out that there are several advantages to me in being able to pinpoint groups of customers accurately on a map, independent of the engineers being able to navigate to customer premises.

I can't imagine Google will limit anything in terms of look ups. That would be extremely cumbersome for them.

It's more likely the licence will be some sort of flat fee, with maybe thresholds around numbers that they pay extra for, like if it goes over X amount or something.

We've already seen willingness to use this type of licence from eircode when they offer unlimited address validation a on a website for a flat fee of 3k per year

ukoda wrote: »

4jkfur.jpg
    This happened earlier than I expected it to....

• Advertisement

Eircode is slowly becoming ever more prevalent in my life, at the moment there are 2 polling cards, an Electric Ireland Gas bill and about 6 candidate Leaflets on my counter all with my eircode on them. Another letter has a reminder on it to use eircode and I've got an insurance quote from 123.ie in my inbox where I was asked for my eircode

A slow burn, but I think by the end of the year it's going to be very common in day to day life.

I always expected it to be a slow burn as for many (as proven by all the threads here) who are actually reticent to use them as they perceive them as another act by "big brother" to restrict their freedom.

4jkfur.jpg

Could be Capita marketing though?
    https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/AnPostDM/ProductsAndServices/PostmarkAdvertising/

Potentially, I made no claims as to who was responsible for it, it doesn't really matter though, it's getting the message out there either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My complaint is that they should have done more or there should have been a decent size advertising budget at launch.

Potentially, I made no claims as to who was responsible for it, it doesn't really matter though, it's getting the message out there either way

Agreed. Clever if it is Capita as it looks as though An Post are pushing it :)

The CRO (company registrations office) have gone out to tender for a "Eircode address validation tool" so they will be using eircodes for their address validation shortly

Retail Ex Ireland, a body representing over 13,000 retailers in Ireland has tweeted a link to their blog written by gamma Ireland about the benefits of eircode to retailers

https://twitter.com/retailexireland/status/700692573816401920

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I notice you can't add new PayPal Irish registrations without providing your eircode.

BoatMad wrote: »
    I notice you can't add new PayPal Irish registrations without providing your eircode.

You need to provide an Eircode but it doesn't have to be your Eircode, no validation so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

my3cents wrote: »
    You need to provide an Eircode but it doesn't have to be your Eircode, no validation so far.

Although technically you'd be breaking their terms and conditions 9.1(e) in providing misleading or false information...
    https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

9. Restricted Activities
    9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, or the Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, a User or a third party, you will not:

e.Provide false, inaccurate or misleading Information;

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Just realised that the election literature has eircode on the address. My polling card came during the week & has eircode on it.

My complaint is that they should have done more or there should have been a decent size advertising budget at launch.

I see , writing to every house in the land wasn't enough. :D

Anything else at the launch , when companies hadn't implemented it systems would have been a waste of money. I think you'll see reminder advertising now starting , given the huge uptake in eircode usage in web pages recently. I suspect it will really hit home when google maps release the facility soon

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see , writing to every house in the land wasn't enough. :D

Anything else at the launch , when companies hadn't implemented it systems would have been a waste of money. I think you'll see reminder advertising now starting , given the huge uptake in eircode usage in web pages recently. I suspect it will really hit home when google maps release the facility soon

In Ireland that certainly wasn't enough a lot of people will have had the card, lost it and that is about their total knowledge of Eircode.

In Ireland that certainly wasn't enough a lot of people will have had the card, lost it and that is about their total knowledge of Eircode.

Youre right , like all critics of eircode , the fact that it's appearing on their voters cards , various bills , revenue letters , is of course irelevsnt , not to mention being increasingly required online

Sure , it's lost to people

Seriously dude , the US tanks ARE rolling down main street Baghdad behind you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

The CRO (company registrations office) have gone out to tender for a "Eircode address validation tool" so they will be using eircodes for their address validation shortly

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=96611&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We need this :

(Eircodes instead of house numbers though )
    http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/kerbside-street-numbering-vital/2378477/

IN the event of an emergency, every second is crucial.

That's why Battery Hill Neighbourhood Watch has worked with local police to paint street numbers on the kerb, assisting essential services to find their destination without delay.

"Painting a number on the kerb helps to identify or assist essential services and others in identifying residents' addresses," Caloundra Police Senior Constable Peter Dickens said.

"There's a lot of letterbox numbers hidden by bushes, letterboxes that don't have numbers or letterboxes that have been knocked over and never replaced."

cSh0mAw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

My health insurance provider used eircode on my renewal letter along the election material already mentioned. Slow start but I see it much more since the beginning of the year. Any updates on Google usage?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

brandodub wrote: »
    Any updates on Google usage?

That is the question. When Google and the satnavs implement Eircode it will drive the general public to start asking others for their Eircode so they can get directions, and then people will begin to remember their own code.

I was trying to find a pub in a small village on the border of Galway and Mayo using my up to date Garmin satnav. I could neither find the village or the pub because it was not listed. On Google, I had no problem finding both but I do not have Google on my satnav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

a65b2cd wrote: »

So if you want to register a company, you will in future be asked to include an Eircode for the company's registered address?

Advertisement