Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So if you want to register a company, you will in future be asked to include an Eircode for the company's registered address?

That is good news - probably you will have to give an Eircode with the annual return, so within 12 months all companies will have their actual address confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

brandodub wrote: »
    Any updates on Google usage?
    It's four weeks since Alex White said he expected it to be signed off "under the next few weeks". I suppose after Friday it's not going to be his problem any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    It's four weeks since Alex White said he expected it to be signed off "under the next few weeks". I suppose after Friday it's not going to be his problem any longer.

I took "signed off" to mean licences signed. Implementation is a different thing

ukoda wrote: »
    I took "signed off" to mean licences signed. Implementation is a different thing
    So, they're signed off then, and you didn't tell us ... :eek:

So, they're signed off then, and you didn't tell us ... :eek:

I've no idea, I'd doubt though that they'd announce a licence signing, I would imagine they have no data until the contract is signed and then it's handed over and they'd do an assessment and plan a launch date. But im just speculating.

If I hear anything I'll let you know tho, I know how you like hearing about eircode progress* ;)

*So you can pick holes in it and tell us how a algorithm code could have solved world hunger :p

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My wife asked me for our Eircode when filling out passport forms for the kids a couple of nights ago. I did not look at the form but something on them prompted her to get the eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Seems like a high figure
    Seems like not as many people have dumped any record they have of their Eircode as was proposed. They're able to find it when requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

BailMeOut wrote: »
    My wife asked me for our Eircode when filling out passport forms for the kids a couple of nights ago. I did not look at the form but something on them prompted her to get the eircode.

There's a spot on there for your Eircode. I put ours on the kids applications and they didn't use it when posting it back. Perhaps they haven't updated their label printing software yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

moyners wrote: »
    There's a spot on there for your Eircode. I put ours on the kids applications and they didn't use it when posting it back. Perhaps they haven't updated their label printing software yet.

Maybe not. I presume they've updated their database to include Eircodes as part of the address information they keep regarding passport applicants and holders.

• Advertisement

Someone posting on Twitter today that Facebook Pages Admins are being forced to update their address with eircode.

From looking at it, it looks like Facebook have done address matching to eircode in the background and sending messages to all pages admins asking them if it's correct

Someone posting on Twitter today that Facebook Pages Admins are being forced to update their address with eircode.

From looking at it, it looks like Facebook have done address matching to eircode in the background and sending messages to all pages admins asking them if it's correct

https://twitter.com/saoireobrien/status/702410133633179648

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

implementations including address verifications seem to be coming thick and fast now

Welfare have issued over 877,000 letters with eircode since launch

my figures/updates are mostly mined from searching "eircode" on Twitter by the way, that figure comes from a Gamma Irl tweet

I see they went to the trouble to hide the business name/address, but left the Eircode on the post, which means you can look up the finder to see the business name, address and location ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I live somewhat rural and it is a nightmare getting anything delivered other than from An Post. The delivery drivers call and look for turn by turn directions (while driving) to get to my door which is really not that difficult to find. It the same companies and same drivers all the time so recently under delivery instructions when ordering anything I have been adding 'No need to call for directions - the Eircode will direct you right to my door'. I literally just had a package delivered a few mins ago and of course they still called looking for instructions which was another 15-20 minute call for me. I know their satnav do not have the technology built in yet but figure if enough people annoy them they might get working on it!

I live somewhat rural and it is a nightmare getting anything delivered other than from An Post. The delivery drivers call and look for turn by turn directions (while driving) to get to my door which is really not that difficult to find. It the same companies and same drivers all the time so recently under delivery instructions when ordering anything I have been adding 'No need to call for directions - the Eircode will direct you right to my door'. I literally just had a package delivered a few mins ago and of course they still called looking for instructions which was another 15-20 minute call for me. I know their satnav do not have the technology built in yet but figure if enough people annoy them they might get working on it!

yes we should see significant logistics software upgrades this year to incorporate Eircode

This will be the main driver for other courier companies implementing eircode, they'll have no choice. If Nightline and others do an end to end eircode implementation then they will save money and can be much more competitive when tendering for delivery contracts from online retailers

I see they went to the trouble to hide the business name/address, but left the Eircode on the post, which means you can look up the finder to see the business name, address and location ...

If you enter the Eircode into An Post's Check an address page you get the street address (but without any street number, building name or business name), town, county and Eircode!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I updated my debit card details on the ParcelMotel website today and had to enter my Eircode in the address portion.

• Advertisement

If you enter the Eircode into An Post's Check an address page you get the street address (but without any street number, building name or business name), town, county and Eircode!
    and if you enter it into the Eircode finder you get the business name and full address. I think you'll get the building number on the An Post site also.

and if you enter it into the Eircode finder you get the business name and full address.

Yes, I know that.
    I think you'll get the building number on the An Post site also.

Not that I can see. Either I'm blind or there's an anomaly there

Yes, I know that.
    Why point out that the information is not available at site A, when it is available at site B? The fact is the information is available in the public domain and there wasn't much point in trying to hide it.
    Not that I can see. Either I'm blind or there's an anomaly there
    There aren't building numbers on that street maybe, but if you look elsewhere you will see the full address including building number being returned. I don't think An Post's address checker would have much value if it didn't return the entire address.

Why point out that the information is not available at site A, when it is available at site B? The fact is the information is available in the public domain and there wasn't much point in trying to hide it.

There aren't building numbers on that street maybe, but if you look elsewhere you will see the full address including building number being returned. I don't think An Post's address checker would have much value if it didn't return the entire address.

Why make an issue out of it? It's a BUSINESS name, business names are public knowledge and public record and it's in the companies interest to have their name out in the public domain. It's not a personal name.

Why make an issue out of it? It's a BUSINESS name, business names are public knowledge and public record and it's in the companies interest to have their name out in the public domain. It's not a personal name.
    The point was just that the person who posted that on twitter thought they were hiding the business name and address, and didn't seem to realise that leaving the Eircode revealed that information. It's just an example of another case where people don't really get the privacy implications of it.

The point was just that the person who posted that on twitter thought they were hiding the business name and address, and didn't seem to realise that leaving the Eircode revealed that information. It's just an example of another case where people don't really get the privacy implications of it.

That same lady also left her email address on display in the picture but no one batted an eye lid about privacy.

That same lady also left her email address on display in the picture but no one batted an eye lid about privacy.
    People are generally less protective of email addresses than physical addresses. Maybe the business wasn't hers, but the email address was, I don't know ..

But, that's not the point anyway. It's not whether a particular piece of information should be kept private or not. It's about people's expectation of privacy, should they want to keep something private.

But, that's not the point anyway. It's not whether a particular piece of information should be kept private or not. It's about people's expectation of privacy, should they want to keep something private.

Then the lady may ( a) have not understood the privacy implications of eircode, that will change as use and understanding grows, so no issue there or ( b) may have figured it doesnt matter any way

None of this is a issue for Eircode per se

It's about people's expectation of privacy, should they want to keep something private.

If people expect privacy they should not post anything like that on social media.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    Then the lady may ( a) have not understood the privacy implications of eircode, that will change as use and understanding grows, so no issue there or ( b) may have figured it doesnt matter any way

None of this is a issue for Eircode per se
    (a) is obviously true. (b) might have been true if she hadn't tried to remove the name/address, but she did.

Pretending that this is not an issue for Eircode means (a) is not likely to change (in a good way). Of course, this issue would have been the same for any type of code that uniquely identifies properties. But, that's neither here nor there.

Advertisement