Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

But, that's neither here nor there.

so lets drop this silly argument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    Really? So, the mods or admins on this site could just post your registration info, IP address (maybe showing where you work) and you'd've no reason to be annoyed about that.

You misunderstand, im simply saying a user should be more vigilant of the content THEY choose to post publicly on social media if they are concerned about privacy.

You can't moderate for stupidity or ignorance. You can only try educate. But at the end of the day, it's within the posters control to disclose content or not.

I'm not quite sure where you got your other conclusion from. I'm not advocating a 3rd party posting a users details without their consent.

Originally Posted by plodder View Post
    Really? So, the mods or admins on this site could just post your registration info, IP address (maybe showing where you work) and you'd've no reason to be annoyed about that.

not legally they could , they would be breaking one of the laws around data protection if they made such identifiable information public unless the originators of that information had given them the rights to do so in advance

You misunderstand, im simply saying a user should be more vigilant of the content THEY choose to post publicly on social media if they are concerned about privacy.

absolutely , you have in that regards only yourself to blame, never post anything that you wouldn't put on a poster in the main street

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we get back on topic. Issues with privacy belong in the other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

BoatMad wrote: »
    so lets drop this silly argument
    By all means please stop nit-picking over every comment I make on this subject..

@Ukoda. I deleted that post as I realised your point was different. Again, and with respect to the comment above, the reason for pointing this out is to stimulate discussion on the privacy implications of a unique postcode. It's absurd to pretend that there are none, or just dismiss as "user error" every time someone misunderstands it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

By all means please stop nit-picking over every comment I make on this subject..

@Ukoda. I deleted that post as I realised your point was different. Again, and with respect to the comment above, the reason for pointing this out is to stimulate discussion on the privacy implications of a unique postcode. It's absurd to pretend that there are none, or just dismiss as "user error" every time someone misunderstands it.

Mod: That is a fair point, but post it in the other thread please.

discussion on the privacy implications of a unique postcode. It's absurd to pretend that there are none, or just dismiss as "user error" every time someone misunderstands it.

its a silly argument , because you can not solve the issue of large numbers of non unique addresses , without creating a pointer to a unique one.
    I would argue that my address is not private, though my identify is. ( up to a point) , but its up to me to be careful in how I distribute both my address and my identify

the fact is as Mark Zuckerberg said, privacy is over , as he built a large wall around his house !!!

sorry Mod: replied before I saw your edit

Yes as I said, you can only educate, but you can't stop people doing it, the same way Vodafone/3/meteor/gmail etc can't stop people posting thier phone numbers and email addresses on social media. But they can tell people it's a bad idea. As eircode have done in their FAQ's, could they do more? Maybe

And before I get banned....back on topic :)

As discussed earlier, the forms will issue with an eircode on them

https://twitter.com/gamma_irl/status/702817578197057536

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

ukoda wrote: »
    Yes as I said, you can only educate, but you can't stop people doing it, the same way Vodafone/3/meteor/gmail etc can't stop people posting thier phone numbers and email addresses on social media. But they can tell people it's a bad idea. As eircode have done in their FAQ's, could they do more? Maybe

And before I get banned....back on topic :)

As discussed earlier, the forms will issue with an eircode on them

https://twitter.com/gamma_irl/status/702817578197057536

I wonder how they're going to ensure they have the right eircodes for the houses with non-unique addresses. Will they provide them with route maps with the houses labelled with the eircodes. It would be a good opportunity to check them for accuracy.

• Advertisement

moyners wrote: »
    I wonder how they're going to ensure they have the right eircodes for the houses with non-unique addresses. Will they provide them with route maps with the houses labelled with the eircodes. It would be a good opportunity to check them for accuracy.

Are they pre filled in , I thought there was merely space to write in your eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Are they pre filled in , I thought there was merely space to write in your eircode

If you look at the sample form, the address section is for the enumerator to fill in. Perhaps they will just ask the householder if they know what their eircode is.

moyners wrote: »
    If you look at the sample form, the address section is for the enumerator to fill in. Perhaps they will just ask the householder if they know what their eircode is.
    It's in the 'for office use only' section. So that implies the enumerator will fill it in. I'd say the purpose is as an identifier for the form, which means the enumerator would have a separate list. I couldn't see the point in asking householders if they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

Surely (and I'm guessing here) one of the problems faced by the census up to now is getting a definitive list of households together. With so many non-unique addresses, it must have been difficult to be sure that you have covered everybody.

If one can assume that every household has an Eircode, then presumably the Eircode database can be used to generate a list of everyone the enumerators need to visit?

swampgas wrote: »
    Surely (and I'm guessing here) one of the problems faced by the census up to now is getting a definitive list of households together. With so many non-unique addresses, it must have been difficult to be sure that you have covered everybody.

If one can assume that every household has an Eircode, then presumably the Eircode database can be used to generate a list of everyone the enumerators need to visit?

This cencus will be the first real test of the accuracy of the Eircode database, since every inhabited postcode will be visited by an enumerator (otherwise the census will not be complete).

I would assume that the enumerator will be given a target list of Eircodes and will tick them off as they go. In non-unique areas, they will have to ask the householder for their Eircode, and they can check them on the Eircode finder. Missing Eircodes will be apparent, and again they can check them on the Eircode finder.

However, they could be provided with a map annotated with Eircodes.

This cencus will be the first real test of the accuracy of the Eircode database, since every inhabited postcode will be visited by an enumerator (otherwise the census will not be complete).

I would assume that the enumerator will be given a target list of Eircodes and will tick them off as they go. In non-unique areas, they will have to ask the householder for their Eircode, and they can check them on the Eircode finder. Missing Eircodes will be apparent, and again they can check them on the Eircode finder.

However, they could be provided with a map annotated with Eircodes.

Eircode is just a link to GeoDirectories, which has existed long before Eircode. SO its a test of Geodirectories, but then GeoDirectories has been fairly validated already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

It's in the 'for office use only' section. So that implies the enumerator will fill it in.

If those 7 boxes are for the Eircode for the household then they seem to be collecting Eircodes as part of the address of where you work as well. That would be useful for analysing commuting flows. See http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/census2016/2016censusforms/65995,English,Household_2016,New,Version,Do,Not,Complete.pdf

Eircode is just a link to GeoDirectories, which has existed long before Eircode. SO its a test of Geodirectories, but then GeoDirectories has been fairly validated already

I think it is a bit more than that. The Eircode were delivered by an post. This verifies the accuracy of that.

Census 2011 used Geodirectory according to this article: https://www.geodirectory.ie/What-is-Geodirectory/Case-Studies/cso.aspx

I think it is a bit more than that. The Eircode were delivered by an post. This verifies the accuracy of that.

Do you think the enumerators will independently verify the eircode or just take it from the householder, I would hope they should already know the eircode of the property before they knock on the door, although I'm not sure how'd they'd achieve this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just after seeing you can use your Eircode on ChecktheRegister. Not sure if that was mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Just after seeing you can use your Eircode on ChecktheRegister. Not sure if that was mentioned earlier.

Think it depends on the council. Cork County Council doesn't support it.

Do you think the enumerators will independently verify the eircode or just take it from the householder, I would hope they should already know the eircode of the property before they knock on the door, although I'm not sure how'd they'd achieve this

I have no idea. I wouor expect that they have a complete list of properties with their Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

swampgas wrote: »
    Think it depends on the council. Cork County Council doesn't support it.

Oh right, Tipp CoCo did anyway.

I have no idea. I wouor expect that they have a complete list of properties with their Eircode.

They should remove the 15 per day restriction on the eircode Finder for a while and give a few bob to the enumerators to use thier smart phones to verify and find the eircode of rural non unique addresses

They should remove the 15 per day restriction on the eircode Finder for a while and give a few bob to the enumerators to use thier smart phones to verify and find the eircode of rural non unique addresses

Maybe better to get Eircode-enabled Google Maps turned on so the enumerator could cross-check his/her enumeration area map with google maps if there is any doubt about the dwelling location or Eircode.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

CSO have an OSI licence, and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have an ECAD licence. They should be able to give census enumerators printed maps marked up with Eircodes for non-unique addresses.

Someone must have got a nudge on Election Day because Autoaddress are absolutely lashing out the tweets today about eircode usage

Mostly stuff we have already mentioned here, new one being HSE have added eircode to their databases and issuing correspondence with it. Also PRTB now accepts eircode online on its site

https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/703186071857733632

Yep, I'm sure the voters will be overjoyed at that. :pac:

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/703186071857733632

Yep, I'm sure the voters will be overjoyed at that. :pac:

I'm a voter. When I look at that I think to myself "I hope it helps catch tax cheats out" I've no issues with revenue and no ill feelings towards them as I pay my taxes and declare what I'm supposed to and they've never bothered me

Advertisement