Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have been thinking about this. What kind of vitamins do you take???

Vitamins and supplements can be a great help, but I'd rule out anything medical first. A blood test will tell the docs a lot. If you're eating properly, a healthy young man/woman shouldn't be feeling tired all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Kind of a random question but something I would like to hear about. Recently everyday after school I am absolutely wrecked and tired and the last thing I want to do is homework and study. To try fix this I try take a nap for an hour or listen to some music in bed but i'm still just as tired afterwards. This tiredness and fatigue is affecting my health now and my parents even noticed yesterday and today how unwell i'm looking.

My question is what do you guys do everyday to keep energy levels high everyday. It is only September and it's a long year so I need help with this before I break down. The last thing i want is to fall sick, miss school days and fall behind. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Try not to eat sluggish food (chocolate, muffins, crisps etc). You'd feel sloppy and tired, although I wouldn't think chocolate is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

Anyone else been getting absolutely ridiculous amounts of homework? It's gotten to the point where I can't even be bothered trying because I know that no matter how hard I try I'm not going to get it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 frans123

ive only rediculous ammount of homework in english , but the other subjects also add up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

No homework today or yesterday....brilliant stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Manufan123 wrote: »
    No homework today or yesterday....brilliant stuff

Envious is not the word.
    Our English teacher was out and left 25 questions to do in class and to be finished at home. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Only about 1.5 hours homework total over the past 3 nights.

Wat is happen? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Only about 1.5 hours homework total over the past 3 nights.

Wat is happen? :pac:

I think I've figured out my light and heavy homework days:

Monday and Wednesday are the days with less than two hours of homework

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday homework can be anything from 2 hours to four hours :rolleyes:

What are the heavy and light homework days for the rest of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

We had loads of homwork tonight. Today is definitely our worst day for homework. Up until today homework was very light this week which was good.

If I'm studying for Biology, is the best thing to do learn what's on the syllabus and consider extra details in the textbook irrelevant?

• Advertisement

I have been thinking about this. What kind of vitamins do you take???

I took Pharmaton in third year (the course of supplements lasted roughly 12 weeks I think?).

I'm taking some kind of supplement for hair, skin and nails (them dry hair problems though :rolleyes: ) so I can't take any other supplement at the minute. Still, the one I'm taking now seems to have loads of vitamins and minerals in it so I'll see how it goes :)

Liordi wrote: »
    If I'm studying for Biology, is the best thing to do learn what's on the syllabus and consider extra details in the textbook irrelevant?

I'm also wondering about this. The textbook is immense and some chunks of it seem like drivel. Is it safe to stick to the syllabus alone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm also wondering about this. The textbook is immense and some chunks of it seem like drivel. Is it safe to stick to the syllabus alone?

The exam will only be asked on the syllabus. They get into all sorts of trouble if they ask for non-syllabus information.

The text books are not issued by the SEC or DES.

spurious wrote: »
    The exam will only be asked on the syllabus. They get into all sorts of trouble if they ask for non-syllabus information.

The text books are not issued by the SEC or DES.

Thanks.
    If I'm writing out revision notes I'll refer to the syllabus rather than my text book. :)

This thread died quicker than my mind. :D
    How's everyone coping with 5th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I've been getting on fine the homeworks really died down lately compared to what it was like the first few weeks. Does anyone have anything planned for the mid term only two weeks now.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I've been getting on fine the homeworks really died down lately compared to what it was like the first few weeks. Does anyone have anything planned for the mid term only two weeks now.

I think I might be going out one night. Other than that, it will probably be a cycle of work (hopefully), eat, sleep, repeat plus a couple of hours of homework and study here and there...my life is just too exciting! :rolleyes:

Did anyone go to the UCC Open Day today?

Homework is handy enough. I get heaps on a Monday and Tuesday evening, and then virtually nothing (about 30 minutes worth) for the rest of the week.

My Irish teacher was, and still is a disaster. As a little "experiment" one of my friends decided to purposely do poorly in a series of class tests (don't ask me why). He wrote about 3 sentences for an A4 page question. 40%. Then the next day he wrote 2 sentences. 40%. Although I wrote an A4 page myself, it was pretty full with grammatical errors, but I still got 95%...:confused:

The teacher actually refuses to fail anyone in a test. So if it's going to be a case where she sugercoats our grades for the next two years, we're going to be in for a nasty letdown in the leaving cert. I really don't understand teachers that do this, just to give off a good impression to parents and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Homework is handy enough. I get heaps on a Monday and Tuesday evening, and then virtually nothing (about 30 minutes worth) for the rest of the week.

My Irish teacher was, and still is a disaster. As a little "experiment" one of my friends decided to purposely do poorly in a series of class tests (don't ask me why). He wrote about 3 sentences for an A4 page question. 40%. Then the next day he wrote 2 sentences. 40%. Although I wrote an A4 page myself, it was pretty full with grammatical errors, but I still got 95%...:confused:

The teacher actually refuses to fail anyone in a test. So if it's going to be a case where she sugercoats our grades for the next two years, we're going to be in for a nasty letdown in the leaving cert. I really don't understand teachers that do this, just to give off a good impression to parents and students.
    Ahhh i think we have the same irish teacher lol! my teacher does the exact same, she always bumps up percentages on the school reports and at parent teacher meetings to make herself look better. Shes also the HL LC maths teacher and last summer my friend got 12% in her summer test for maths and then the teacher bumped it up to 40% ??? :confused:

The best thing to do in that situation would be to look at the marking schemes.
    The only thing I know offhand is that for the 30 mark poetry question, only five marks are awarded for your Irish [spelling/grammar]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

It's not too bad at the moment, homework is okay enough. There was uproar in school over our biology teacher, it ended up with all the ones that complained getting the best teacher in the school... Also our irish teacher has been out for the last two weeks, we didn't have class's until Thursday when one of the other irish teachers took us on in her free classes. It ridiculous.

We have our green schools action day in a week and a half and I'm stressing out about it as I'm the chairperson and I have to have everything organised for it...

Was at the ucc open day on Saturday, anyone going to UL on Thursday?

Midterm,not much. Going to dcu for the IrEUSO on the 24th and I'm stuck between biology and chemistry at the moment. Work the odd day or two I suppose and I'll probably go out one of the nights because two of my friends birthdays are during midterm. That and I didn't get a chance to go out all summer... :(

Me neither and I would dispute whether it even gives a good impression to anyone.

I used to always mark to exam standard, so my classes would start in first year with Es and Ds and over the years go up to what they would get in the exam. Meanwhile, in other subjects, some teachers were following the 'Ah they're only First/Fifth Years' approach and their classes all started with As and went (apparently) backwards.

I would always ask your teacher have they worked for the SEC doing actual corrections. If they haven't, it really can be difficult to assess work properly, even using the supplied marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

5th year has been really stressful lately since I've been having around 3-4 tests every week (lc exam questions) and it's almost impossible to study with the amount of homework we get :(

I can't wait for the midterm :D are many of ye planning on studying over midterm? I think i might take the week off for my sanity :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

teafanatic wrote: »
    5th year has been really stressful lately since I've been having around 3-4 tests every week (lc exam questions) and it's almost impossible to study with the amount of homework we get :(

I can't wait for the midterm :D are many of ye planning on studying over midterm? I think i might take the week off for my sanity :P

Last week was my first week with tests in every subject and it was stressful af. I've been getting very little homework this week and have been using the time to sort myself out on topics i'm not confident in - in other words i've been studying :P. If next week stays like this, I don't see a reason to recharge my batteries during mid term and so I'll probably be studying during midterm for my Xmas exams which I want to do really well in.

There used to be Halloween tests and Christmas tests in our school...but for the last 2 years they've just had a week of tests in the middle of November to pass as Halloween and Christmas tests combined.

Then no more tests for me until summer, bar the odd class test.

A lot of teachers talk to us as if we have no life outside of school. Our guidance counselor was telling us that if we aren't doing at least 4 hours of homework+study every night then we aren't doing enough. At the start of 5th year? I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt

Our French teacher is telling us that unless we do an hour of French every weeknight we are going to get a C in the subject, no doubt :confused:

I really hope teachers say these kind of things in the knowledge that nobody will pay a bit of heed to them and that they're just scare tactics.

4 hours of schoolwork every night? An hour of French every night? No doubt it would probably get us good grades, but probably at the expense of our sanity, family and social lives, and sleep requirements. :pac:

I'll save that kind of madness until welllll into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

Sometimes teachers seem to think that their subject is the most important subject. If every teacher said do 1 hour a night for their subject you'd being doing 7+ hours of homework, which is insanity.

The amount of homework teachers say you should be doing a night is very exaggerated in my opinion. If you do any more than 3 hours a night you will burn yourself out.

We've been getting a good few regular class tests. [Had 3 this week and 3 next week]

Hopefully, I'll manage to make some decent study notes over the mid-term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

VG31 wrote: »
    Sometimes teachers seem to think that their subject is the most important subject.
    I think you can change that to "pretty much every teacher thinks their subject is the most important subject!" tbh. :D

Mid-term.

wew lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

About time eh :pac: I legit forgot this week that there was a midterm break coming up. That's how long this term has been :P

Advertisement