Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

I was in UCD on a school trip last year. I was really impressed the new science building it's serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Quick question. How much have ye covered in Irish? We've only done a prose, sraith pictiur and an aiste. I feel that we should have done a lot more for being halfway through November. I doesn't help though that we've had two different teachers since the start of the year. One of them missed two weeks, we had no sub for those two weeks, and the new one has missed a week already, with no sub yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

We've done an essay, a poem, a short story and one sraith pictiúir.

I feel that we are going reasonably fast.

What topics are people doing for history? / What have you done so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

We've done two poems, one sraith pictiur, one short story, one essay and several oral questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

teachers missing for couple of wks, I had the same problem with English last year, why cant they just get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

teachers missing for couple of wks, I had the same problem with English last year, why cant they just get it sorted.

It's sickening! They don't leave any work at all and if they do get a sub, they more than likely can't teach the subject, they're only there to supervise. In fairness, one of the other Irish teachers taught us for two classes when she was free, but it's annoying none the less.

some subs are grand but then trying to convince them what you have covered and what's not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Quick question. How much have ye covered in Irish? We've only done a prose, sraith pictiur and an aiste. I feel that we should have done a lot more for being halfway through November. I doesn't help though that we've had two different teachers since the start of the year. One of them missed two weeks, we had no sub for those two weeks, and the new one has missed a week already, with no sub yet again.

We've done two stories, 6 sraith pictuir, 2 poems and an aiste, I didn't think we were going that fast since the other higher level class has done the same but judging by the other responses we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

We've done four poems, three pros, four sraith pictúir and two aistes. We're going at a reasonable speed we're the top class in our school so the other classes are a bit behind us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

We have done 3 poems,
    2 Sraith pictiÃ႒ºr
    Tapework
    Maybe 6 Reading comprehensions
    And some oral work
    We are the "higher" higher level Irish class but the other higher level class aren't that fair behind us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

We've done one essay, 2 short stories, 1 poem, 2 sraith pictiúrs, 3/4 oral topics and loads of listening and reading comprehensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

How are people's christmas revision going? My exams are in 2 weeks time. Trying to do a decent amount each night. I think i'll be fine for the most part.

What about you?

How are people's christmas revision going? My exams are in 2 weeks time. Trying to do a decent amount each night. I think i'll be fine for the most part.

What about you?
    Going good exept i have so much Irish to learn of....Any advice ðŸ˜

Our exams are the week before the holidays.
    Hoping to get a good bit of revision done before then.

What about you?

I tried to start last week but I couldn't on account of how exhausted I was after doing my homework, it was really frustrating as well because most of my homework is completely pointless. But the other day I decided to do study after school and leave my homework til the end of the evening and just race through it. It's been working out great for me, I'm actually studying for once :D (wonder how long it'll last...)

Does anyone here use a study timetable? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile and if it is how you'd go about making one?

not going good at all, so much material to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I'm more or less on track with studying. I have had quite a lot of mini tests, which made me keep on top of things from the start. There will still be a little bit of cramming though. :pac:

teafanatic wrote: »
    I tried to start last week but I couldn't on account of how exhausted I was after doing my homework, it was really frustrating as well because most of my homework is completely pointless. But the other day I decided to do study after school and leave my homework til the end of the evening and just race through it. It's been working out great for me, I'm actually studying for once :D (wonder how long it'll last...)

Does anyone here use a study timetable? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile and if it is how you'd go about making one?

study timetables don't seem to work for me, what way do most of ye study.

I read over and over...seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

Manufan123 wrote: »
    I read over and over...seems to work

Teachers usually discourage this but I find it the most effective way of studying for most subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VG31 wrote:
    Teachers usually discourage this but I find it the most effective way of studying for most subjects.

For some people it is. There's no one size fits all. Others will find mind maps or creating their own notes the way to go. It depends on the type of learner the student is.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That feel when I'm not good enough for HL Irish but not bad enough for OL Irish.

I'm finding HL Irish difficult and a trudge. The class is full of native speakers and people who have been to the gaeltacht at least twice. And then there's me and a few other lads scraping by. The jump in difficulty from JC HL to LC HL was something huge we didn't anticipate.

When I went to the pass class teacher to enquire about the possibility about dropping down to OL, he told me to stop talking seafóid and that I'm far too good to drop to pass. "The oral is worth 40%, you'd be mad to drop to OL" was what he said.

So, ya. Stuck in honours for the time being with a teacher that's getting thick with me because I don't understand the material, and can't drop to pass because the OL teacher won't let me.

Wat do?

Also, my 400th post...

I feel like that too.
    I'm one of two people who got a C in JC in my class.
    Don't want to drop but I know my standard of Irish is a lot worse than the rest of the class.
    Hoping rote learning will be my saviour :)

The only way I can see myself getting a result in Irish is by rote learning the dozens of sheets with A1 answers for the exam. Our teacher doesn't even focus on improving our Irish. Our last class for example, she gave us the fifth sraith pictiur and then an A4 answer in Irish and told us to begin learning it for the orals. It might seem like an easy approach but our teacher takes it really seriously and acts as if we are all going for that A1 and we are learning every single word she gives us.

I'm honestly not sure if i'm able or even bothered to learn all the stuff she gives us. I would love to move to OL as I can't see myself taking Irish seriously for the LC but like others have said, I'm not even that bad to move to an OL class. WTF to I do???

In the same situation as a few people here, I have absolutely no interest in learning Irish the way it's taught to us, just rote learning monotonous responses for the oral not to mention 5 page essays... but I get on reasonably alright since I'm naturally good at languages, and everyone says I'd be mad to drop down despite having no interest or motivation to study for it. Honestly so confused about whether to drop to pass or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

teafanatic wrote: »
    In the same situation as a few people here, I have absolutely no interest in learning Irish the way it's taught to us, just rote learning monotonous responses for the oral not to mention 5 page essays... but I get on reasonably alright since I'm naturally good at languages, and everyone says I'd be mad to drop down despite having no interest or motivation to study for it. Honestly so confused about whether to drop to pass or not :(

I'm having the same dilemma. I do well in Irish but I just hate the language so much. Dropping levels would be such a relief but I suppose I'll keep struggling on for now! It's just taught so badly and it's such a redundant language now.

I would just drop down as you can concentrate on other higher level subjects

What's the best way to go about telling your teacher you want to drop? My irish teacher likes me, I do alright but i'm not great but the main issue is that I have no desire or motivation to put in the work for what in my opinion is a joke of a subject.

I don't know how to tell this to my teacher though. I feel like she won't have any of it and the thing is my Irish teacher is also my year head, so I can't really go to a higher authority unless I go to the principle which I think might be a bit extreme

that's a tough situation, you will have to just go to that teacher and tell he/she where you stand. you could say that you are finding the subject really difficult. its the only option.

• Advertisement

Yeah i guess i'll just have to grow a pair and be honest to my teacher. Not going to be easy, not sure how i'll say it but it is my leaving cert that matters at the end of the day

Advertisement