Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Liordi wrote: »
    If you have to leave that early that's probably why your school don't go :P

Something as well was they didn't want to be taking them just for the sake of it. More than likely, everyone would just go if there was a chance of shopping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

The only open day our school organises a trip to is UL. Don't know why. Every year UL is the most popular college among the LC's, probably because of this. Every year, by a long shot.

I don't know why they can't organise a few more, twould be awful handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Hadn't really thought about open days but might go to UCD or Trinity! I'm aiming high as well and already feel like I'm falling behind, especially in Irish! It's so difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Our school organises a trip to 3 unis in Dublin so can't really ask for more. Would have liked if they did one outside Dublin but it is what it is :)

I've had so much work to do during the week and thankfully i haven't got much work over the weekend to do. I'm using today to kind of relax and calm down as everything got so hectic over the week.

Does anyone else have Mid term exams coming up??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Got a maths exam on algebra coming up.
    German, Physics and Irish tests last week.

Not sure if we get mid term exams as such but we generally get exams after covering a couple of topics, depending on the subject.

For English poetry, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to know.
    I've done four poems by Elizabeth Bishop so far but all we've done is listen to the teacher read the poems and define the words we don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

are ye in all higher level????

For now, although if my English classes are a chore for me I might switch to pass when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

For now, although if my English classes are a chore for me I might switch to pass when it becomes available.

your tough out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm doing all subjects at higher and don't plan on dropping to pass at all. I'm sure there are a few people on here doing pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Ye im doing all higher level. I Dont plan on dropping down either.

• Advertisement

We started one of the five poems you learn for the oral exam in Irish.
    Seems to be a fairly easy 35 marks as you can bring the book in with the pronunciation wrote over each word if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Liordi wrote:
    We started one of the five poems you learn for the oral exam in Irish. Seems to be a fairly easy 35 marks as you can bring the book in with the pronunciation wrote over each word if needs be.

Wait until you start the notes for them. We were discussing poetic techniques we haven't even done in English :pac: It starts to come together after a while though. :)

NOS3 wrote: »
    Wait until you start the notes for them. We were discussing poetic techniques we haven't even done in English :pac: It starts to come together after a while though. :)

Our teacher said for the oral they don't ask you questions about the poems, it's only reading it.
    I was just saying reading a poem for 35 marks is handy :P

Liordi wrote:
    Our teacher said for the oral they don't ask you questions about the poems, it's only reading it. I was just saying reading a poem for 35 marks is handy

Oh you do only read it in the oral, but you have to answer questions about themes, techniques, etc. on the poems in paper 2, hence the notes. :) Reading it out in the oral is handy though. :pac:

Same! 4 pages of notes on geibheann to learn for tomorrow! :(((

Xgracie wrote: »
    Same! 4 pages of notes on geibheann to learn for tomorrow! :(((
    How Do you memorise all of that? (I need help doing so)

Had a test on géibheann today...

Wrote 3 pages of JC level, wickedly basic Irish in test and I get 90%, little study required...

Lads who spent an hour the night before learning off a handout that our teacher gave us full of floury complicated stuff, and they get 50%

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know what's happening but I like it :pac:

Xgracie wrote:
    Same! 4 pages of notes on geibheann to learn for tomorrow! ((

Manufan123 wrote:
    How Do you memorise all of that? (I need help doing so)

Are ye guys in my class? :o;)

The best way to do it is to write out the key points in your own irish. A correct simple sentence is better than a half-wrong one with complicated words you dont really understand. :)

Are ye guys in my class? :o;)

The best way to do it is to write out the key points in your own irish. A correct simple sentence is better than a half-wrong one with complicated words you dont really understand. :)

Hahaha! Yeah that's a good idea, I've just written out important sentences from the notes we were given and I learn them off literally by repeating them to myself loads but that isn't very practical

Haha i hate irish but need to do honours

• Advertisement

Haven't had any Irish tests but I presume we'll get one when we finish the first poem.
    We've mostly just been doing oral work so far. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Haven't had any Irish tests but I presume we'll get one when we finish the first poem.
    We've mostly just been doing oral work so far. :P

All we've done is some verbs and grammar - primary schools stuff. My mom teaches it to 4th class:confused: we've done some ordinary level listening and a comprehension. We've now started on caca milis and it's ridiculous how little we've done... Especially hearing what you've all done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Had a test on géibheann today...

Wrote 3 pages of JC level, wickedly basic Irish in test and I get 90%, little study required...

Lads who spent an hour the night before learning off a handout that our teacher gave us full of floury complicated stuff, and they get 50%

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know what's happening but I like it :pac:

This is it - as my old Irish teacher used to say, 'if you can't say it. don't say it'. It didn't matter that my answers read like they were written by a six year old. They were clear, with correct Irish.

Learning off stuff is such a waste of time, all the more so learning off someone else's notes.

Gonna be nobody in tomorrow as majority of people will be gone ploughing.
    Just going in for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

Gonna be nobody in tomorrow as majority of people will be gone ploughing.
    Just going in for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

50 seater bus leaving from our town tomorrow, all TYs, 5th years and LCs. I've a feeling there will be a few emptier-than-normal classrooms tomorrow

Kind of a random question but something I would like to hear about. Recently everyday after school I am absolutely wrecked and tired and the last thing I want to do is homework and study. To try fix this I try take a nap for an hour or listen to some music in bed but i'm still just as tired afterwards. This tiredness and fatigue is affecting my health now and my parents even noticed yesterday and today how unwell i'm looking.

My question is what do you guys do everyday to keep energy levels high everyday. It is only September and it's a long year so I need help with this before I break down. The last thing i want is to fall sick, miss school days and fall behind. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

You could always get up early in the morning and do your homework if it fits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Kind of a random question but something I would like to hear about. Recently everyday after school I am absolutely wrecked and tired and the last thing I want to do is homework and study. To try fix this I try take a nap for an hour or listen to some music in bed but i'm still just as tired afterwards. This tiredness and fatigue is affecting my health now and my parents even noticed yesterday and today how unwell i'm looking.

My question is what do you guys do everyday to keep energy levels high everyday. It is only September and it's a long year so I need help with this before I break down. The last thing i want is to fall sick, miss school days and fall behind. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Are you eating and drinking enough during school?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Have you tried taking any vitamin supplements? I took those at the beginning of third year and they really helped to keep me alert throughout the schoolday and through the evening :) once the course of supplements were finished, I found I didn't even need to take another course, my mind could just automatically stay focused for longer without feeling fatigued.

• Advertisement

Have you tried taking any vitamin supplements? I took those at the beginning of third year and they really helped to keep me alert throughout the schoolday and through the evening :) once the course of supplements were finished, I found I didn't even need to take another course, my mind could just automatically stay focused for longer without feeling fatigued.

I have been thinking about this. What kind of vitamins do you take???

Advertisement