Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Yeah i guess i'll just have to grow a pair and be honest to my teacher. Not going to be easy, not sure how i'll say it but it is my leaving cert that matters at the end of the day and I can't let this issue affect my LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

then you can concentrate more on other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Got results back. H1s in Physics and Biology. H2s in English, French and Chemistry. H4s in Maths and Irish.

Kinda disappointed with the H4 in Maths. Test was harder than I thought it would be and that sorta threw me.

My Irish teacher's advice to me was to write bigger, and leave bigger spaces between my words. That way I will fill up more paper and get more marks. :confused:

So under the new marking system that comes to about 555, I think, which I'm happy with. Though these were only 5th year Christmas tests so it's probably downhill from here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

I hope its onwards and upwards after the christmaa test 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Our exams aren't until the week before the holidays and we don't get our results until the week after we go back. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Liordi wrote: »
    Our exams aren't until the week before the holidays and we don't get our results until the week after we go back. :rolleyes:

Yuk. I bet your teachers love that. What a way to spend their holidays.

Was never convinced myself of the value of so many house exams. I'd rather spend time teaching.

Christmas tests week before xmax hols, get the results a couple a weeks in to jan

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

Liordi wrote: »

Same with me, hate it when you think you've ****ed up one of your exams and you've to think about it for 2 weeks over Christmas :rolleyes:
    I actually thought that all schools did this but apparently not :p

In physics today we started scalars and vectors.

Our teacher told us that they used to be on the LC Maths syllabus but some "genius" in the department said they got rid of them a few years ago, and says it's a shame because they did actually have some real-world applications. He said he "couldn't understand why they did get rid of them"

Then he said:
    "Maybe I've answered my own question...they have a real-world application...they don't really have a place on the LC Maths course..."

:pac:

I don't think anything on the LC maths course is used in real life??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I can't believe you're not desperate to know how many identical circles with a radius of 1cm can be cut out of a sheet of metal. :p

Some of probability, statistics and area & volume can be useful but other than that :rolleyes:
    Maths is still my favourite subject though :p

Hey guys so i'm in kind of a pickle atm. I currently do HL Maths but I always seem to struggle with maths especially during the exams. It always seems that the exam questions are ten times harder than the one we practice in the book.

Well anyway i was planning on counting Maths as part of my 6 LC subjects. Currently I do 7 and I plan on dropping to OL Irish and not counting it very soon. Anyways I was doing some forward thinking and I am afraid that what if I won't be able to do as well as I want in maths in the LC. I've recently started pondering over the though of doing an 8th subject outside of school as my backup, possibly after Christmas. The subjects I currently do are Maths, Irish, English, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Accounting.

Anyone have any recommendations of subjects I could take on and how much effort I will have to put in to receive a B/A grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Hey guys so i'm in kind of a pickle atm. I currently do HL Maths but I always seem to struggle with maths especially during the exams. It always seems that the exam questions are ten times harder than the one we practice in the book.

Well anyway i was planning on counting Maths as part of my 6 LC subjects. Currently I do 7 and I plan on dropping to OL Irish and not counting it very soon. Anyways I was doing some forward thinking and I am afraid that what if I won't be able to do as well as I want in maths in the LC. I've recently started pondering over the though of doing an 8th subject outside of school as my backup, possibly after Christmas. The subjects I currently do are Maths, Irish, English, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Accounting.

Anyone have any recommendations of subjects I could take on and how much effort I will have to put in to receive a B/A grade.

Some people pick up economics outside of school. Apparently it is a relatively short course. A search shows quite a lot of results. :)

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=lc+economics+outside+of+school

Anyone here going to the TCD open day tomorrow? Unfortunately I can''t go but I would like to hear other's experiences if they were to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Well lads,
    Did Ye get much homework for over the holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

padraigmck wrote: »
    Well lads,

None and all my books are in my locker :')

padraigmck wrote: »
    Well lads,

Zilch. All books in school as well.

But in all fairness I think I'll have to pick my game up come the start of term. I'm so laid back about things this year I'm horizontal.

Got no homework at all, even if I did I would probably completely forget about it. Have done nothing in the last few weeks I don't no how I will get back in the school life.

We got no homework over the holidays either. I'll be a bit hesitant about doing homework when we get back.

• Advertisement

I myself got no homework, but I had decided to do some study, that's gone out the window just like all my other study plans before that:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Significant399

I got homework.. Have yet to do it though.

Happy New Year!
    Let's hope this year is the year we all actually sit down and take our leaving cert seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Can anyone help with this maths question:

If (x+a)^3 +bx^2 + cx = x^3 -- 8

Find a,b & c.

Hope this is legible.
    AH65QqM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

I don't know about all of ye but I'm panicking probably more that the 6th years hahaha. Before Christmas I was thinking about doing Ucd drama and English but over Christmas my mind has turned to Veterinary Nursing (I know, pretty different). I do Bio which was pretty lucky as I was forced into doing it by the school but it's probably a blessing in disguise! The point difference between the two courses is 155!!!! 475 at the moment for Vet. I need to get out of cruise control and just aiming for HC1s and HC2s hahahha

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

I'm the same as you, haven't done a tap since the start of November and I'm seriously panicking more than my friends in sixth year. I've changed my mind on courses as well, I had my heart set on medicine but now I'm thinking psychology. Have to just keep the head down now and struggle on haha how's everyone else getting on with study? Have ye done much during Christmas break?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Significant399

Just wondering how much everyone has done in Irish so far?
    My teacher was out a lot recently and now he's taking some time off. There's a sub in and she's not great, feel like we're going a bit slow.

• Advertisement

Just wondering how much everyone has done in Irish so far?
    My teacher was out a lot recently and now he's taking some time off. There's a sub in and she's not great, feel like we're going a bit slow.
    IMO I think we have done loads,
    We have done 4 out of the 5 poems
    One of the Pr s
    4 sraith picti r
    Oral work
    An essay about Education
    Listening comprehensions and finally loads of reading comprehensions,
    How is everyone finding HL Irish personally I am hating every minute of it but the teacher won't let me go to pass

Advertisement