Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Anyone know anything about the All Ireland scholarships and when the letters are sent out? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

16 hours left lads 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

EireLemon wrote:
    16 hours left lads 😳

There will be some traffic on that site tmro morning, could it crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

There will be some traffic on that site tmro morning, could it crash?

I've heard it just loads slowly. People staying up tonight? Last year someone got all the points at 2am I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

EireLemon wrote: »
    I've heard it just loads slowly. People staying up tonight? Last year someone got all the points at 2am I think.

Yeah the points were released by the Independent (I think?) around 2 or 3 am last year. Tbh I probably won't fall asleep tonight and just end up staying up anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Surprised there isn't a thread yet. I've an Irish Independent subscription and also plan to be roaming the streets of Dublin tonight looking for newspapers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

So this is it? We're all staying up all night? I certainly am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I'll be too nervous/excited to sleep. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I've a friend who's got well enough points for engineering, he has nearly 50 points to spare, but fell short of the H4 maths requirement (got a H5) he's looking into special maths exams now to try and get in.

Do many people get into engineering as a result of the special entrance exams or is it only a few here and there?

I got 446 and a H5 in maths. NUIG engineering is my 1st choice. I'm currently in galway doing a prep course for engineering entrace exam. The is like 15/20 places reserved for people who fall short on the maths. If you pass the test (not easy,not impossible) you get in if your in the top 15/20 of points. of people who took the test.

EDIT: or it could be based on your result in the maths entry exam

Soooo, what's everyone going for?

• Advertisement

Will tomorrow's papers post all of the points statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The points for each course, yes. It was about 2.20 AM last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Last years thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057637688

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be aware there is always at least one 'comedian' who likes to mess with people's heads about the points. I don't know if any of the mods can stay up through the night, but take anything anyone says with a grain of salt until you see either scans of newspapers, the real thing or your own offers.

spurious wrote: »
    Be aware there is always at least one 'comedian' who likes to mess with people's heads about the points. I don't know if any of the mods can stay up through the night, but take anything anyone says with a grain of salt until you see either scans of newspapers, the real thing or your own offers.

Yep. You will see people putting up fake points early on. You just can't see them on the old thread since they were deleted as soon as the mods seen them. Don't believe anything without some proof! There were a few last year went back to see what others were looking for in the LC threads, then put up fake points for those courses that they knew people were wondering about on boards. Why you would want to do that, I do not know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

daraghwal wrote: »
    Why you would want to do that, I do not know.
    Small d***s, hungry for attention! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Hulgerx10 wrote: »
    Soooo, what's everyone going for?

Law with politics in UCD I'm 65 points over so not worried at all hahaha but just dying to see how the points, in general, change this year with the new system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

I'd imagine there won't that much change in the points at the top end (520+)
    300-400 you're going to get some really erratic points changes though, once all the different combinations come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

Consonata wrote: »
    I'd imagine there won't that much change in the points at the top end (520+)
    300-400 you're going to get some really erratic points changes though, once all the different combinations come through.

You reckon it will go up or down? Hoping my choice (nuig engineering) stays at 445(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

You reckon it will go up or down? Hoping my choice (nuig engineering) stays at 445(ish)

I'd imagine it'll be different for each course, can't see how the points would all go down or all go up

• Advertisement

ciara18 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'll be different for each course, can't see how the points would all go down or all go up

It's not backed by stats yet, but a lot of people have noted that the average points are down.

My course was 295 points to the best of my knowledge as stated in the colleges book. I checked qualifax and it said 265 for the same course. Just did some research into points last year and it says 225. I got 295 anyway but just wondering what's going on with all these different point statements, anyone else with this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

My course was 295 points to the best of my knowledge as stated in the colleges book. I checked qualifax and it said 265 for the same course. Just did some research into points last year and it says 225. I got 295 anyway but just wondering what's going on with all these different point statements, anyone else with this problem

Qualifax has points from the first round of offers.
    CAO has points from the final round of offers. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Smircle

Hoping for Veterinary Medicine here, though feeling pretty doubtful. I got more points than the cut-off for last year, but with this new system in place, I've no idea if they're going up, down, or staying the same.
    Just saw a thread created about the points - don't believe anything unless there's a reliable source to back it up ...
    Good luck to everyone - only a few hours to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

I don't think it will uniformly go down or go up but since they've effectively halved the amount of grade bands, the point changes will be very erratic as the different permutations come in

i.e there will be 10/15 point jumps

Smircle wrote: »
    Hoping for Veterinary Medicine here, though feeling pretty doubtful. I got more points than the cut-off for last year, but with this new system in place, I've no idea if they're going up, down, or staying the same.
    Just saw a thread created about the points - don't believe anything unless there's a reliable source to back it up ...
    Good luck to everyone - only a few hours to go! :D

Same here, good luck!

Some sites list R1 offers. College sites sometimes show the median and the minimum that people got in with; I think the idea is to get it into peoples' heads that a course with R1 say 300 had lots of people with higher points as well ... which is a fair point but it does confuse. Always look at the text before the number carefully! ;)

Some sites list R1 offers. College sites sometimes show the median and the minimum that people got in with; I think the idea is to get it into peoples' heads that a course with R1 say 300 had lots of people with higher points as well ... which is a fair point but it does confuse. Always look at the text before the number carefully! ;)

I find thejournal.ie list good. It has the rounds beside the offers and is easily searchable from 6am exactly. You can search back in other years though

CAO's own system as good as any really, just you have to scroll through.

https://www.cao.ie/?page=points

• Advertisement

CAO's own system as good as any really, just you have to scroll through.

https://www.cao.ie/?page=points

Yep, just TheJournal.ie adds the layout with the earlier rounds too beside the second round. Might calm a few down seeing that some courses drop dramatically by sometimes 30 points from round 1 to round 2! http://www.thejournal.ie/cao-2016/?jrnl=campaign

EDIT: Just to save anyone refreshing that link with 2017 in it. It will probably be that link with 2017 instead of 2016 but thejournal.ie don't release until exactly 6 am.

Advertisement