Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Does anyone else feel like the last month or so has just been a blur, with one day rolling into the next, barely know what day of the week it is?

Everybody's saying "sure it'll be great once it's over" but honestly I feel like I won't know what to do with myself.
    It will be great when it's over, simply because it's over.

But there's quite a good chance that, when it's over, all that adrenaline your system has been running on for the last two weeks will drain away, and you'll feel like a washed-out dishrag, rather than on a high.

You're lucky with the weather, for these few days at least. Try to get out and do something, rather than vegging at home, tempting as it might be. Fresh air and exercise, preferably with a bit of company, will do far more to help your body / brain / mood get back to normal than pretty much anything else, even sleep, though a decent chunk of that is advisable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Finishing with chemistry tomorrow.
    Does anyone else feel like the last month or so has just been a blur, with one day rolling into the next, barely know what day of the week it is?

Everybody's saying "sure it'll be great once it's over" but honestly I feel like I won't know what to do with myself.
    You won't 😂 And for a few days it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueee

Finishing with chemistry tomorrow.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I'm expecting it to be quite anticlimatic after the last exam... we have been building up to the LC for many years, so it's inevitable that we're going to feel a bit lost when it's over, because it's been what you've been working towards and focusing on for a long time.
    I know what you mean about it feeling like a blur! Once the first exam was done, they all went so quickly and before I knew it I had about eight papers done! In a way the exams were kind of....enjoyable?!? It was a laugh to freak out with everyone everyday and speculate about what would come up, and see all the commotion on Twitter and stuff after each exam, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

I already don't know what to do with myself lol. I had Business last Thursday morning and then a full week's break until Technology this Friday so my mind is already convinced I'm done. And it is very anticlimactic, tbh. I'm so thankful I've never needed to do much study for Tech and that it's my last exam because I really can't bring myself to do anything anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

There's definitely a lull when it's over. Try to plan a few fun things to unwind e.g. A trip to see family members, cinema with friends, a walk on the beech or a forest. Enjoy this time away from exams:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I'd like to take this moment to say that you Boardsies have kept me sane throughout the year. Hopefully we'll never have to meet like this ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

And so the journey comes to an end...

Bit of an anticlimactic finale to ever going to school again, but we'll now's summertime.
    *Puts on sunglasses*
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Finally finished! Lads it has been so much fun and you have made this year bearable for me. Just home from a few pints and I feel so relieved! <3 you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Freedooooom...
    Feels so strange :pac: Best of luck with everything in the future lads, it's been great trying to keep each other sane over the year lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

So what's everyone's first CAO choice? I'm flicking between Commerce International in UCD and business and Spanish in Trinity. They're both 510 but I'm confident that I got the points. Leaning towards UCD at the moment, I found Trinity to be mediocre and overrated from their open day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 malu123

Arts nuig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

EireLemon wrote: »
    So what's everyone's first CAO choice? I'm flicking between Commerce International in UCD and business and Spanish in Trinity. They're both 510 but I'm confident that I got the points. Leaning towards UCD at the moment, I found Trinity to be mediocre and overrated from their open day.

Law and Political Science in Trinity! Yeah I get what you mean about Trinity and the open day but I tbh it's more the course content that's pushing me towards it. Have a look at the modules of both the courses and try to see how different they are and which you might prefer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

. Leaning towards UCD at the moment, I found Trinity to be mediocre and overrated from their open day.

I skipped the TCD open day but having gone to other events of theirs I have to agree UCD do the marketing of their university a lot better
    Is that why you view TCD as mediocre and overrated? I feel like there's gotta still be a reason it's so high in the rankings.

Also chose tp in trinity but I'll probably end up doing science ucd cause points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

So I'm hoping to get into Engineering preferably in UCD but wouldn't mind TCD. I think i'll get the points but my maths exam was sort of a mess and I'm worried about not meeting the minimum maths requirement of a H4.

If I do get the points but fail to meet the maths requirement, is there any other way I can get in? I've looked at a lot of engineering courses and they all need a minimum of a H4. If you know of any courses that don't please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I just finished first year engineering in UCD, message me if you have any questions about the course, workload, or just ucd in general.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Hopefully Engineering NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Torn between engineering and science in NUIG, but I think I'm gonna go with science. DCG was too much of a nightmare for me to ever want to do something like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

So I'm hoping to get into Engineering preferably in UCD but wouldn't mind TCD. I think i'll get the points but my maths exam was sort of a mess and I'm worried about not meeting the minimum maths requirement of a H4.

If I do get the points but fail to meet the maths requirement, is there any other way I can get in? I've looked at a lot of engineering courses and they all need a minimum of a H4. If you know of any courses that don't please let me know

I know in NUIG they do a "Special Maths Requirement" exam in August for anybody who doesn't get the maths requirement, not sure what the story is in other college.

EDIT: Looks like it's also done in DIT, CIT, Maynooth, Waterford, UL and Carlow, not sure about the others

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Anyone else doing Pharmacy at UCC? Seems like a niche thing, hard to find others who have chosen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Mldj wrote: »
    Anyone else doing Pharmacy at UCC? Seems like a niche thing, hard to find others who have chosen it!

I know two people doing it, any particular questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Lala1639

Is a H2 going to be the equivalent to 90 or 85 points in the old point system?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Lala1639 wrote: »
    Is a H2 going to be the equivalent to 90 or 85 points in the old point system?

It's 88 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

And there goes the deadline. Can't believe I waited till this morning to double check my CAO list. I've been planning on doing it since the leaving was over but never got around to it. Didn't change much in the end other than add an extra course as a back up that i probably won't need but no harm. Now the long wait till results

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lala1639

ciara18 wrote: »
    It's 88 points!

I know it's 88 points in the new system but I'm asking what would it be the equivalent to in the old point system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

80-89% so I guess an A2/B1

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Lala1639 wrote: »
    I know it's 88 points in the new system but I'm asking what would it be the equivalent to in the old point system.

A H2 covers both an A2 (85-90%) and a B1 (80-85%) in the old system. You'd have to view your script to see the exact percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

A H2 covers both an A2 (85-90%) and a B1 (80-85%) in the old system. You'd have to view your script to see the exact percentage.

You won't know with a lot of subjects either such as those that have practicals/orals where you don't get those marks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

I completely forgot about the deadline until it had passed and I had wanted to change my second and third choices in order but fingers crossed that I'll get veterinary which is my first choice. Here's hoping anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LilyWhites7

I was thinking of going to study medicine abroad, could anyone who has studied medicine in Italy, or knows anyone who did , could they private message me , trying to figure out the correct procedure for it , and costs etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I was thinking of going to study medicine abroad, could anyone who has studied medicine in Italy, or knows anyone who did , could they private message me , trying to figure out the correct procedure for it , and costs etc..

Would someplace like the UK be a better option? Same language and some good universities over there, not to hard to apply for either

Advertisement