Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

ElmW13 wrote: »
    I completely forgot about the deadline until it had passed and I had wanted to change my second and third choices in order but fingers crossed that I'll get veterinary which is my first choice. Here's hoping anyways

If you email CAO, they MIGHT be able to do something about that, I'm not sure. Veterinary No. 1 too!! What did you put 2nd/3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

daraghwal wrote: »
    If you email CAO, they MIGHT be able to do something about that, I'm not sure. Veterinary No. 1 too!! What did you put 2nd/3rd

Ag Science second and General Science third both in UCD. I just wanted to switch them around but hopefully everything will go to plan and I'll get veterinary

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Ag Science second and General Science third both in UCD. I just wanted to switch them around but hopefully everything will go to plan and I'll get veterinary

I'd be asking CAO to switch them if I were you, unless you're 100% happy. Last year I had veterinary first and Ag second, I was offered Ag but decided to repeat to try and get Veterinary. Ag Science and Science are actually really different in terms of the career after. With Ag your farming/working for the department/working in a food processing factory/Teagasc. If you do general science it's much broader.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Got a statement of course choices from the CAO yesterday, but it has the courses I had on my list on the 26th June, not the one's I have on it presently. I changed my courses on the 30th of June, and the website has the courses in the order I want them, but the statement I got in the post has an older list of courses I had.

Can I just disregard the notice? Do I have to notify the CAO of anything? If the courses are in the right order in the online system is that OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

The letter thingy they gave with the pin was pretty explicit in saying you should contact the CAO if there's any irregularities between the paper and the online list of courses.
    In this case it might be better to just contact them in case it does pose a problem down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Am I right in saying that UCD are sending an email with our number on the waiting list for accommodation in two days time?

ciara18 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that UCD are sending an email with our number on the waiting list for accommodation in two days time?

It will be in the next few days, definitely by Friday I'd say, last year I got the email and it went into spam so make sure and look in there! Let us know when they send them out? Not sure if they all go out together or what way it works.

New thread on UCD accommodation here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057762202

How's everyone's debs preparations going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

How's everyone's debs preparations going?

Non existent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Don't really feel like seeing a lot of my year these days, but it might be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

BadBannana wrote:
    Don't really feel like seeing a lot of my year these days, but it might be fun

Might just get mine online...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

A week and a half till results... summer's flew by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

EireLemon wrote: »
    A week and a half till results... summer's flew by.

Hard to believe they're out in a week and a half.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a funny time of year, with lots of anti-climaxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm honestly starting to get quite anxious about them. The wait is killing me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'm honestly starting to get quite anxious about them. The wait is killing me :P

Basically me. I don't even know what county I'm moving to because if I don't get my #1 I'm in an opposite end of the country. :P

"Mr RIR can you work on Wednesday the 16th?"
    "Ya I guess so I don't think I've anything on"
    "Did you not do your leaving this year? "
    "I did ya...why?"
    "Isn't that results day?"
    "O wait ya it is"

Actual conversation with my boss earlier this week

I felt like the real Fr Dougal Maguire

This is how laid back I am at the moment about these results. I think it's because I know that there is literally nothing I can do to change the outcome, so it doesn't even merit space in my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I had work on my results day last year...

"Mr RIR can you work on Wednesday the 16th?"
    "Ya I guess so I don't think I've anything on"
    "Did you not do your leaving this year? "
    "I did ya...why?"
    "Isn't that results day?"
    "O wait ya it is"

Actual conversation with my boss earlier this week

I felt like the real Fr Dougal Maguire

This is how laid back I am at the moment about these results. I think it's because I know that there is literally nothing I can do to change the outcome, so it doesn't even merit space in my brain.

I would love to be able to feel that way about them!

• Advertisement

Less than one week😬😬

When should I expect to hear from susi? Will it be after the results/after I get an offer?
    (that's assuming I get an offer, can't get ahead of ourselves here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

When should I expect to hear from susi? Will it be after the results/after I get an offer?

I already heard back on my application but then my friend is still waiting for hers, so tbh I don't think there's any specific deadline on when you'll hear by. I think you can send them a message on Facebook and ask for an update on your application. I don't know how much they'll be able to tell you though.

I've heard of some people not getting it until they're into college for a few weeks.

Can anyone shine a bit of light on this: Do your teachers know what grade you got in a subject before you do?

I know the principal, vice, and maybe the guidance counsellors would have an idea seeing as they have to put the results into envelopes and everything, but what about the subject teachers?

One teacher told us that the principal sends them an excel spreadsheet on the morning of the results via email with a list of their students and the grade they got in the subject, often a good hour or two before the students know what they got themselves. I'm not really sure if he was scaremongering or not.

Anybody know what actually happens?

Can anyone shine a bit of light on this: Do your teachers know what grade you got in a subject before you do?

I know the principal, vice, and maybe the guidance counsellors would have an idea seeing as they have to put the results into envelopes and everything, but what about the subject teachers?

One teacher told us that the principal sends them an excel spreadsheet on the morning of the results via email with a list of their students and the grade they got in the subject, often a good hour or two before the students know what they got themselves. I'm not really sure if he was scaremongering or not.

Anybody know what actually happens?

My mams a teacher and in her school there's an excel spreadsheet like you described but rather than being emailed before the students themselves get them, the teachers have to come into the school throughout the day to pick up a copy. It'll be different for each school, there's no rule that says the teachers see them first or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

How are y'all feeling?

Consonata wrote: »
    How are y'all feeling?

Well I had a dream last night.

I got my results, didn't open them for some reason and walked home. When I reached my house a gust of wind blew the envelope out of my hands and through a line of trees in a field near my house.

Naturally, the trees shredded the results sheet and the tiny pieces of paper landed in the outdoor run where I keep my hens. The hens started to pick up the pieces of paper and run around tearing them up further.

I ran after them, pulling the pieces of paper out of their beaks and trying to patch the results sheet up, matching the grade to the subject to no avail. A piece of paper had chemistry written on it, physics on another, H4 on another piece, H2 on another scrap of paper.

So ya, any philosophers out there that want to interpret the meaning of the dream feel free to do so, because I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Consonata wrote: »
    How are y'all feeling?

First time in a long time I woke up today with butterflies in my stomach!! I just really want to get it all over it. The wait is agonising

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Big data protection issues there.
    As you guessed. those that put them in envelopes with the recheck form and checked them will have seen them but I know from doing it myself, you are too busy checking things to fully process what particular students get.

In our school, once the majority of the candidates had picked theirs up, photocopies would be put on a staffroom notice board, so any teacher dropping in later that day could see them, but many teachers waited until they were back later in August to see them.

Did you hear back from them that they havd received your application?

Even if you have included all the documentation they require, it can take until you are already in college. The colleges are used to waiting on the money from them, so don't flap.

Advertisement