Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Anybody else planning on writing a semi-erotic fan-fiction for the personal essay tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Fully erotic. Go the whole hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Anybody else planning on writing a semi-erotic fan-fiction for the personal essay tomorrow?

Oh definitely, glad I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Good luck tomorrow lads, I don't envy ye :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Drop to ordinary..so predictable and poems are fully written out..easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonsnowbai

Best of luck in your Leaving Cert everybody! Make the most of every second in between your exams... once it's done, it's done forever. Go the whole hog, you will be tired, and sick to death of this.... but you don't want to regret wasting any time, or not putting 100% in when it came to exams! Make sure to read you questions properly, and don't stray...ANSWER WHAT YOU'RE BEING ASKED!! :)

(Half-way through my degree, reminiscing.. loved the LC so much I repeated it loool )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Good luck tomorrow everyone. Bed early tonight and a good healthy breakfast in the morning:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good luck all - avoid the post-mortems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

Best of luck to my fellow 6th Years, just remember time management is key today. It starts now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

It's beginning to feel so real for me this morning :) Best of luck to everyone.

Keep the fingers crossed for Plath & Boland tomorrow :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 blueee

The personal essay title was a dream come true ahhh!! The article about science vs art was extremely interesting too. I feel like they really were trying to catch people out with that short story title about the tattoo though!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Did the speech happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Over slept..ffs. did ok though I think

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Anyone do the QB article on the poems to pick, I found it fairly straightforward but was wondering if there were any elements to article that were expected to be used (persuausive language or argumentative language). It didn't feel like an argument was being made though.

Also did anyone do the descriptive essay on night scene and what did they write?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueee

thetalker wrote: »
    Anyone do the QB article on the poems to pick, I found it fairly straightforward but was wondering if there were any elements to article that were expected to be used (persuausive language or argumentative language). It didn't feel like an argument was being made though.

Also did anyone do the descriptive essay on night scene and what did they write?

I did the QB on the poems, no, it wasn't an argumentative or persuasive style they were looking for, just a kind of chatty article style I think? For the school website...so I wrote a few little things like said "Oh I'll link the website below" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I dodged text 1 the minute I saw it, and thought it was a bit unfair to be bringing in paper 2 poetry elements into the paper like that.

Did anybody bother with writing the drama on the cavemen discovering the wheel? It seemed so far-fetched I can't see why anybody would choose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

I dodged text 1 the minute I saw it, and thought it was a bit unfair to be bringing in paper 2 poetry elements into the paper like that.

Did anybody bother with writing the drama on the cavemen discovering the wheel? It seemed so far-fetched I can't see why anybody would choose it.

I just named 3 poems, not necessarily going into heavy detail on them though I doubt they were judging the poems themselves.

The cavemen Q seemed hilarious, I wonder how anyone got L marks for that dialogue, it seems impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

I did that title hahaha literally just referenced everything I knew about the Stone Age from art history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Ponguin wrote: »
    I did that title hahaha literally just referenced everything I knew about the Stone Age from art history

Tbh it'd probably be an advantage doing it.. I doubt the examiner will gerbil many of them and it's something different from them to read 😂

Looooooved the speech though! Short stories were pretty awful imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭VG31

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Looooooved the speech though! Short stories were pretty awful imo

The speech was perfect for me! I'm interested in politics and current affairs so writing about freedom of speech and democracy was actually enjoyable.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    The speech was perfect for me! I'm interested in politics and current affairs so writing about freedom of speech and democracy was actually enjoyable.

I'm the exact same! Hoping to do Law and politics this September so loved writing about our democratic duties :P

I'm the exact same! Hoping to do Law and politics this September so loved writing about our democratic duties :P

Did you do the second question B? I was just thinking yesterday how I would like to write something about the media and fake news so I couldn't believe it when the opinion article came up!

VG31 wrote: »
    Did you do the second question B? I was just thinking yesterday how I would like to write something about the media and fake news so I couldn't believe it when the opinion article came up!

Yeah I did! Ive no idea why but I left it until last for some reason?? It turned out okay but i wished I had more time to do it! It was a nice title

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Tbh it'd probably be an advantage doing it.. I doubt the examiner will gerbil many of them and it's something different from them to read 😂

My thoughts exactly hahah :P

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

"In your opinion, have you benefitted from engaging with poetry during your time at school?"

Best. Question. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I should have done the caveman question, 90% of my year did the short story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

No you did the one that was the best choice for you. Don't worry about what the rest did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Daughter in tears over Home economics paper ! She said structure of questions changed a bit too. She just blanked , hopefully the rest will be ok for her, she's lashing into English now . Two big papers today was all a bit much I think for her. Just feel a bit helpless at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

English P2 is probably the paper that I have most anxiety for. I could get 90% or 40% depending on what comes up... Praying for Plath or Boland!

• Advertisement

EireLemon wrote: »
    English P2 is probably the paper that I have most anxiety for. I could get 90% or 40% depending on what comes up... Praying for Plath or Boland!

I seem to be one of the few people that doesn't really want them to come up. I'm hoping for Hopkins, Durcan or Bishop (not much chance of her coming up though). I've studied Boland as well but since most of the country will probably do her if she comes up so I'll only do her if I have to.

Advertisement