Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game week 2 transfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Data analyses from last year showed that keeping the WC for a monster double game week was worth, on average, 20 extra points (I think it was an average of 90 vs 70, though I'm open to correction).

Unless you are in dire straights, I would hold onto it, tbh.

There isn't usually any DGWs in the first half of the season so that won't affect your first wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Data analyses from last year showed that keeping the WC for a monster double game week was worth, on average, 20 extra points (I think it was an average of 90 vs 70, though I'm open to correction).

Very, very unlikely to get a DGW from the WC he is talking of using I still wouldn't be using it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

But there will not be any double gameweeks this side of Xmas will there? Then we get a new one for the new year, that's my understanding of it anyway.

Ok guys, I've had a decent week thus far with 40pts but I'm considering a WC, had a couple of defenders not play and I really want to get Aguero and Sanchez in.

The general consensus seems to be people saying don't waste your WC, I see it more like I want to immediately remedy my squad.

The main question I have is, how badly would it effect me if I used it now, like is there a reason I should need to hold onto it? We get another in the 2nd half of the season when we'll have double fixtures, there won't be anything like that this side of Xmas, lots of folk have been mentioning using it for GW4 to get Aguero in anyway, so GW2, GW4 does it really matter?

Any opinions very welcome, cheers.

I would prefer to use hits at this early stage maybe even a -8 at a stretch. How much time did you put in pre-season? If you put in the hours you should still be happy with those decisions you made imo its too early to rush into anything on the back of one week.

jimmii wrote: »
    Very, very unlikely to get a DGW from the WC he is talking of using I still wouldn't be using it myself though.

Why not!?! Give me a good reason, I know you might say you're happy with your team and don't want to kneejerk, but I'm thinking it won't really effect me because we'll get another WC anyway, the only thing would be if I WC'ed and then my original team did better but that would be my own fault, my gut is saying to fix this team immediately.

• Advertisement

Why not!?! Give me a good reason, I know you might say you're happy with your team and don't want to kneejerk, but I'm thinking it won't really effect me because we'll get another WC anyway, the only thing would be if I WC'ed and then my original team did better but that would be my own fault, my gut is saying to fix this team immediately.

EDIT: Oh about using it early lol! Just my opinion I prefer to wait in case of a real big injury emergency or to allow better preparation for the busy Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

AdMMM wrote: »
    There's two Ayews....

I think you have the right one on your team now, Andre will get a lot of goals this year I think.

I would prefer to use hits at this early stage maybe even a -8 at a stretch. How much time did you put in pre-season? If you put in the hours you should still be happy with those decisions you made imo its too early to rush into anything on the back of one week.

You kind of answered some of my next post, bit of an overlap, sorry.

I put in lots of time yes, I find it's impossible to know what's happening until it actually happens, I was happy with my team but now I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

AdMMM wrote: »
    There's two Ayews....

Ayew serious?

I'm not even sorry :D

Because DGWs are normally caused by bad weather in Late December/January and this WC is only for this year.

EDIT: Oh about using it early lol! Just my opinion I prefer to wait in case of a real big injury emergency or to allow better preparation for the busy Christmas period.

The why not was in reference to you saying you still wouldn't use the WC, what's your plan, why are you holding on?

I'm just trying to establish the fact that it's not FF suicide to use a WC now and that I'm not missing an obvious reason to hold onto it.

EDIT : I missed your edit, yea ok, that's fair enough, thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Reasons:
    First off, it would be daft to activate it before the City game.
    There's no real panic on either Aguero or Sanchez in terms of price rises.
    Neither are they owned highly enough to really cause hurt.
    You have a very good score for the week so have a bit of a cushion.
    You'll know a lot more concerning players/teams form after 3 GW's as opposed to 1.
    There will almost certainly be more need for it as the GW's unfold.

You kind of answered some of my next post, bit of an overlap, sorry.

I put in lots of time yes, I find it's impossible to know what's happening until it actually happens, I was happy with my team but now I'm not!

Everyone finds it impossible to know whats happening until its actually happening thats ok!

I guess if now see that you made fundamental errors then it does need to be corrected before you do start to go the wrong way. How bad is the damage though? Can -8 over a couple of weeks fix it? The last thing you want to do is use it to just bring in 2 or 3 players then get a heap of injuries in a month or so and have to take a -16 or something!

The why not was in reference to you saying you still wouldn't use the WC, what's your plan, why are you holding on?

I'm just trying to establish the fact that it's not FF suicide to use a WC now and that I'm not missing an obvious reason to hold onto it.

EDIT : I missed your edit, yea ok, that's fair enough, thanks for the replies.

Ninja edits ftw!! Its not like if you WC now then its season over or anything but the longer you have it the more beneficial it is. You are looking at tearing up your team from the information we have gathered from less than one GW imagine how much extra info we will have in 6 or 7 more GWs to work with. The more information you have the better and while we now have a lot more than we did on Friday its still a very incomplete picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

Ok guys, I've had a decent week thus far with 40pts but I'm considering a WC, had a couple of defenders not play and I really want to get Aguero and Sanchez in.

The general consensus seems to be people saying don't waste your WC, I see it more like I want to immediately remedy my squad.

The main question I have is, how badly would it effect me if I used it now, like is there a reason I should need to hold onto it? We get another in the 2nd half of the season when we'll have double fixtures, there won't be anything like that this side of Xmas, lots of folk have been mentioning using it for GW4 to get Aguero in anyway, so GW2, GW4 does it really matter?

Any opinions very welcome, cheers.

I had a terrible week, 23 points with only Silva to play, I could play the wildcard and get a team I'd be more happy with going forward but I looked at the average score for the week which is 27 (so far) and as long as the average doesn't rise too much I'm happy to hold it and maybe take a -4 hit, -8 if I had a higher GW 1 score. you being 13 over the average I wouldn't dream of playing it.

I think I got unlucky and got 50/50 decisions wrong, Courtois sending off, Walcott and Bellerin not starting, Cedric off a half time despite playing well and bagging an assist. Mane could have got 2 goals.

Regards no DGW this side of Christmas, I think it's too early to say that there will definitely be none, Man City and West Ham had a DGW in November last year, a lot can happen between now and January,

I usually use my WC on the first international break and plan for DGW a week or 2 in advance if I don't have players.

There is definitely a greater chance than 0 of there being a pre-Christmas dgw but its so small that its not worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But there will not be any double gameweeks this side of Xmas will there? Then we get a new one for the new year, that's my understanding of it anyway.

You could potentially bank 2 for the 2nd half I believe. That's not likely what I'm going to do but it's an option.

PARlance wrote: »
    Reasons:
    First off, it would be daft to activate it before the City game.
    There's no real panic on either Aguero or Sanchez in terms of price rises.
    Neither are they owned highly enough to really cause hurt.
    You have a very good score for the week so have a bit of a cushion.
    You'll know a lot more concerning players/teams form after 3 GW's as opposed to 1.
    There will almost certainly be more need for it as the GW's unfold.

You make some nice points, thanks, albeit yeah I was going to wait until after the City game!
    Everyone finds it impossible to know whats happening until its actually happening thats ok!

I guess if now see that you made fundamental errors then it does need to be corrected before you do start to go the wrong way. How bad is the damage though? Can -8 over a couple of weeks fix it? The last thing you want to do is use it to just bring in 2 or 3 players then get a heap of injuries in a month or so and have to take a -16 or something!

If I was going to use it then it would probably be 6 or 7 changes, so it wouldn't be a waste in that regard, the damage is not too bad, I can and probably will hold out now, just needed talking down off the ledge!
    Ninja edits ftw!! Its not like if you WC now then its season over or anything but the longer you have it the more beneficial it is. You are looking at tearing up your team from the information we have gathered from less than one GW imagine how much extra info we will have in 6 or 7 more GWs to work with. The more information you have the better and while we now have a lot more than we did on Friday its still a very incomplete picture.

Yep, I hear ya, I may be getting a little antsy!
    shineon23 wrote: »
    I had a terrible week, 23 points with only Silva to play, I could play the wildcard and get a team I'd be more happy with going forward but I looked at the average score for the week which is 27 (so far) and as long as the average doesn't rise too much I'm happy to hold it and maybe take a -4 hit, -8 if I had a higher GW 1 score. you being 13 over the average I wouldn't dream of playing it.

I think I got unlucky and got 50/50 decisions wrong, Courtois sending off, Walcott and Bellerin not starting, Cedric off a half time despite playing well and bagging an assist. Mane could have got 2 goals.

Regards no DGW this side of Christmas, I think it's too early to say that there will definitely be none, Man City and West Ham had a DGW in November last year, a lot can happen between now and January,

I usually use my WC on the first international break and plan for DGW a week or 2 in advance if I don't have players.

Ty for your input, I'm sort of going off the idea of playing the lWC at the minute, but ya never know.

CSF wrote: »
    You could potentially bank 2 for the 2nd half I believe. That's not likely what I'm going to do but it's an option.

I need to re-read the rules, I thought one had to be played this side of xmas.

I need to re-read the rules, I thought one had to be played this side of xmas.

It's one first half, one second half. You can't bank.

CSF wrote: »

From Rules:

When can I play a wildcard?

The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before 28 Dec 14:00) and once in the second half of the season.

Wildcards are played on the transfers page but aren't active until you have confirmed the transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

From Rules:

When can I play a wildcard?

The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before 28 Dec 14:00) and once in the second half of the season.

Wildcards are played on the transfers page but aren't active until you have confirmed the transfers.

My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

There is definitely a greater chance than 0 of there being a pre-Christmas dgw but its so small that its not worth considering.

Slim alright, but I wouldn't rule it out, in any case there would be time to prepare, and I wouldn't waste a WC on DGW (like last years for one extra game: City-West Ham). Different story if 4 or 6 teams have DGW's.

First WC I'd try use to try catch price rises on the international, although that wasn't too successful last year.

Speaking of gaining early value:
    Anyone have any thoughts on who could be good to catch a double rise out of.

Aside from premium signings rising;
    I can see flavours of the month being;

McCarthy-cheapest GK
    Oxford as a cheap defender like Hutton/Wisdom last year.
    Mahrez/Albrighton,Westwood, Obertan from one good GW.
    Ibe/Gomez bought heavy by Liverpool fans, then being dumped if they don't hold their places.
    Same may happen to Depay doubt he'll lose his place though.
    Then any new late window signings like Di Maria last year rose 1 mill quite quickly

It would have been very nice to have a "spare" WC carry over to use for an evening kickoff GW (none pre Dec 28)... but can't be done. And the buggers have set the deadline to first kick off -1 hour so no more team news for those GWs which is a balls.

It would have been very nice to have a "spare" WC carry over to use for an evening kickoff GW (none pre Dec 28)... but can't be done. And the buggers have set the deadline to first kick off -1 hour so no more team news for those GWs which is a balls.

That's a good thing. Last year I sold Giroud for Defoe after he was benched. Queue Giroud purple patch while I stick with an impotent Defoe.

You make some nice points, thanks, albeit yeah I was going to wait until after the City game!

If I was going to use it then it would probably be 6 or 7 changes, so it wouldn't be a waste in that regard, the damage is not too bad, I can and probably will hold out now, just needed talking down off the ledge!

Yep, I hear ya, I may be getting a little antsy!

Ty for your input, I'm sort of going off the idea of playing the lWC at the minute, but ya never know.

I forgot to add that you've also got your "all out attack" / 2-5-3 chip that can be used if you've got a few defenders that aren't starting.

It's not a great chip imo, but probably best suited now more than ever for most people stung with a few 4m donkeys :)
    i.e When teams have settled, there is likely going to be a fairly poor cheap 8th attacker and I can't see it being massively valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

Have the wildcard rules changed? Last year it was a wildcard to be used anytime and one which had to be used in a month some time after Christmas.

I could just look at rules instead of asking here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

All this love for Mahrez and Payet and i still see little or no mention of Wijnaldum on here! Defo reckon its Walcott -> Wijnaldum for me! Looked great at the weekend, had him in my team until sat morning and bottled it and went for what i thought was playing it safe! FAIL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

All this love for Mahrez and Payet and i still see little or no mention of Wijnaldum on here! Defo reckon its Walcott -> Wijnaldum for me! Looked great at the weekend, had him in my team until sat morning and bottled it and went for what i thought was playing it safe! FAIL

They have comparitively easier games in the next few weeks compared to Newcastle facing United and Arsenal in week 3 and 4.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Gooners wrote: »
    Have the wildcard rules changed? Last year it was a wildcard to be used anytime and one which had to be used in a month some time after Christmas.

Yeah I looked at the updated rules and it seems to be one for first half of the season and one for second half.

• Advertisement

Gooners wrote: »

One up to December 28th and one after. They're counted as chips along with the three new ones and you can only use one chip in a gw.

Advertisement