Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Standing By Population

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The greatest enigma in GAA has to be Wicklow.

Big county, decent population but yet they haven't won a senior provincial title in either code. Themselves and Fermanagh are the the only two counties never to do so.

What's that down to I wonder, club rivalries? the County Board?

They've produced some decent players over the years, most notably Leighton Glynn and dual player Wayne O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The greatest enigma in GAA has to be Wicklow.

Big county, decent population but yet they haven't won a senior provincial title in either code. Themselves and Fermanagh are the the only two counties never to do so.

What's that down to I wonder, club rivalries? the County Board?

They've produced some decent players over the years, most notably Leighton Glynn and dual player Wayne O'Gorman.

It's been discussed earlier in the thread that club rivalries take precedence.

It truly is shocking though.

At least with Fermanagh there's forays into provincial finals (Heartbreaking replay defeat to Armagh:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Ulster_Senior_Football_Championship) or heartbreaking AISF replay defeat to Mayo:

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship) and the rest...

You hear geography or topography being thrown out there as reasoning for the Garden County's failures. But let's be honest there should be no excuse for them to be so so crap for the entire history of the GAA.

We all saw what Micko did with them, so there's something there if they bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Pile of ****e considering Kilkenny, Clare, Tipp, Limerick, Waterford have no interest in bogball.

People i assume you mean? Its not as big as hurling granted but there was a sizeable Tipperary contingent in Croker the day we played Mayo. If we can build on this year it can get bigger but thats the big if. We are doing excellent underage work. We've won a minor and lost the u21 by a point. Promotion and a Munster title must be our two main objectives next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

How this thread is turning into a Dublin Vs Everyone is beyond me. That wasn't the intention at all. It was also nothing to do with money. Much more interesting than Dublin are the outliers like Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jayop wrote: »
    How this thread is turning into a Dublin Vs Everyone is beyond me. That wasn't the intention at all. It was also nothing to do with money. Much more interesting than Dublin are the outliers like Monaghan.

Cos that's what every non game or non county specific thread turns into around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cos that's what every non game or non county specific thread turns into around here.

Fairly boring isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Jayop wrote: »

A great point. Monaghan have a population slightly bigger than Carlow's but are very competitive in terms of the Ulster and All ireland championship. I came across a stat that their annual Cúl camps attract around 3000 youngsters a while back which is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

We've always been though. It's only now that we're winning All-Ireland's that people care. No one gave a crap when Dublin won Leinster constantly and fell at AI stage.
    Eh, wrong again-from 96 to 05 they won 2 out of 10. From 86 to 95 they won 5 out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

A great point. Monaghan have a population slightly bigger than Carlow's but are very competitive in terms of the Ulster and All ireland championship. I came across a stat that their annual Cúl camps attract around 3000 youngsters a while back which is phenomenal.

Probably the advantage of having a club championship that treats the club players with a bit of appreciation. What is it, 14 rounds minimum every year with 6 set aside for county players to be involved, the other 8 for the club players to keep active? Supposed to have a great system for second string sides as well with plenty of games for them.

It's a great incentive to keep players playing if you know your going to have a proper season, and much easier to attract young lads to the sport as well. Lads want to play games, not train incessantly. Ultimately, they get the most out of their population.

Advertisement