Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Standing By Population

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

He could easily play for Roscommon if he wanted to.

never quite understood it either why Ballagh compete in Mayo championship,any particular reasoning or is it that a lot of the border players were on the Mayo side of the parish so they decided to play in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seanhynes wrote: »
    Andy Moran should be playing with Roscommon

Why?He plays in the Mayo senior championship for Ballaghaderreen and has of his own free will decided to play for Mayo.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Why?He plays in the Mayo senior championship for Ballaghaderreen and has of his own free will decided to play for Mayo.

wasnt serious,I was replying to the posters comment that Mayo nick clubs from other counties to see his response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

He isn't allowed play for Roscommon, under rule.
    simple as

Which is silly, as he lives in Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Not this ****e again.

Well if we're looking at true population figures

Ballaghadereen is a big town, in a very rural county like Roscommon.
    take 1200 off the Roscommon population total.

• Advertisement

he could transfer im sure ,Kilcullen left Mayo for Sligo,not that it would interest him at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Offaly's haul in both codes looks better in that context.

Doesn't make our current plight any easier to accept, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seanhynes wrote: »
    never quite understood it either why Ballagh compete in Mayo championship,any particular reasoning or is it that a lot of the border players were on the Mayo side of the parish so they decided to play in Mayo

Historically Ballaghaderreen was part of County Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'd say 15k of them are recent arrivals (Celtic tiger Dubs stealing our cheap houses around East Cavan/ Ballyjamesdublin :) ).

Interesting comparison but none of these are perfect and don't take other variables into account. What would be very interesting to put beside the population is no of clubs/ club membership.

There's huge numbers of Dubs living in Bailie-phibs-boro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Well if we're looking at true population figures

Ballaghadereen is a big town, in a very rural county like Roscommon.
    take 1200 off the Roscommon population total.

I dont get that post ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

cjmc wrote: »
    I dont get that post ?

The population of Roscommon in the OP would naturally include Ballaghadereen.

However if inhabitants of this town are excluded from playing for Roscommon (because the local GAA club plays in Mayo), then it's overstating their GAA population.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The population of Roscommon in the OP would naturally include Ballaghadereen.

However if inhabitants of this town are excluded from playing for Roscommon (because the local GAA club plays in Mayo), then it's overstating their GAA population.

Ah , get you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Historically Ballaghaderreen was part of County Mayo.

At this stage you could say it's historically part of Mayo.

1898 is a long time to be cribbing about a border change.

*gets coat and runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah come on, quit with the excuses :)

Clubs and the amount of football played also have a big factor of course as people are saying.

I onced asked an old Mayo man living here in Kerry about what the difference between Mayo and Kerry were and he said that he found there was far more football being played in Kerry.

I dont know what its like elsewhere but each club would play the following competitions in Kerry.

County league
    Club championship (junior, intermediate, or senior)
    County championship (clubs that are not senior may have players on the divisional team)
    Divisional championship
    Divisional league.

That means that you are playing football from March to new year's day

A bit similar to the rugby structures in Ireland.

Strange nobody else has followed it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Jayop wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for the current Meath or Kildare sides. Even Antrim if they want to be a hurling county they make a poor fist of that for such a big county.

I'm not sure how big a hurling county Antrim actually is, the Glens, a few city clubs, think even Down clubs play there, not a huge pick.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Doesn't say much for the current Meath or Kildare sides. Even Antrim if they want to be a hurling county they make a poor fist of that for such a big county.
    A lot of the counties just outside Dublin have their populations slightly skewed by the amount of Dublin people that have moved into the area yet still play for their home clubs and/or for Dublin. For Meath, Mick Deegan is a fantastic club footballer yet plays intercounty for Dublin. Darren Daly currently lives in Ratoath. 2 of Dublin's Leinster minor winners of last year also live in Ratoath yet play for their parents' clubs.
    There's a good chunk of the young population in Meath anyway that would have no interest in playing for Meath.
    Not all of them mind you. The captain of our last team to win the Leinster minor championship in 2006 was as big a Dub as you could imagine yet wouldn't consider playing for them as he was playing club football in Meath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I would say that 40% of Derrys population are Scotch-Irish Protestants wo Derry is a wee county in GAA terms, Tyrone is quite big as there are less protestants apart from the east, antrim and down have Protestant majorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I would say that 40% of Derrys population are Scotch-Irish Protestants wo Derry is a wee county in GAA terms, Tyrone is quite big as there are less protestants apart from the east, antrim and down have Protestant majorities.

One reason I didn't go too much into the protestant/catholic thing was because I think there's probably a higher percentage of GAA fans in the 6 NI counties from the nationalist population than there would be if they weren't in the North.

Less Catholics, but more of those Catholics are Gaels? Just a theory anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

One reason I didn't go too much into the protestant/catholic thing was because I think there's probably a higher percentage of GAA fans in the 6 NI counties from the nationalist population than there would be if they weren't in the North.

There is a bit of truth in that, even if you aren't much of a fan you would follow the county in the chmapionship.

I must argue your use on the term "gael" though, anyone with Gaelic ancestry is a gael, even some of the loyalists with Mc surnames

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

I'd have thought it'd be a similar proportion North and South.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

As per present population numbers Offaly are the last county to win a football All ireland (1982) with a population in the bottom half of the order.

And people say population doesn't really matter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

aveytare wrote: »
    I'd have thought it'd be a similar proportion North and South.

Like I said it's just a theory, but from personal experience growing up in Tyrone and not in a GAA stronghold by any means compared to my experience living in Sligo I would say more people are interested in the county especially. That's Tyrone though the 80's and 90's with limited success too I might add.

I would say population is a big correlative factor in terms of bringing extra revenue to a county setup and helping the training funds. But then there is a one or two that curb the trend that little bit. Monaghan for example have a population of 5000 larger then Carlow and yet you couldnt get two more polarising football counties at the moment. I would think that Carlow might be trying to juggle too many balls in terms of promoting both codes and hasnt made up its mind whether its predominately football or hurling. Also Rugby in particular is arguably the top sport in Carlow with Tullow and Co Carlow being traditional institutions within the county. Alot of young lads growing up in Carlow would aspire to be Sean O'Brien these times id imagine

Cork proved yesterday that population is all well and good that is unless you have total and utter jackasses running the show. Compare those backward ostriches to the likes of the late Andy Kettle or Dave Billings for example who helped to implement tremendous structures in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Like I said it's just a theory, but from personal experience growing up in Tyrone and not in a GAA stronghold by any means compared to my experience living in Sligo I would say more people are interested in the county especially. That's Tyrone though the 80's and 90's with limited success too I might add.

There's your problem.

Ye had 2 AI finals, a few Ulsters and 2 AI U-21's IIRC though, a hell of a lot compared to Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Noticed this post in the All-Ireland thread and upon looking at it it's remarkable how close the population tallies to counties standing in football.

I'm colour coding the list to show.

Division 1
    Division 2
    Division 3
    Division 4

1 Dublin 1,273,069
    2 Antrim 618,108
    3 Down 531,665
    4 Cork 519,032
    5 Galway 250,541
    6 Derry 247,132
    7 Kildare 210,312
    8 Limerick 191,809
    9 Meath 184,135
    10 Tyrone 179,000
    11 Armagh 174,792
    12 Donegal 161,137
    13 Tipperary 158,754
    14 Kerry 145,502
    15 Wexford 145,320
    16 Wicklow 136,640
    17 Mayo 130,638
    18 Louth 122,897
    19 Clare 117,196
    20 Waterford 113,795
    22 Westmeath 86,164
    23 Laois 80,559
    24 Offaly 76,687
    25 Cavan 73,183
    26 Sligo 65,393
    27 Roscommon64,065
    28 Fermanagh 61,170
    29 Monaghan 60,483
    30 Carlow 54,612
    31 Longford 39,000
    32 Leitrim 31,796

As expected

5 of the top 6 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    9 of the top 12 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    The bottom 3 counties are all Division 3 & 4.
    8 of the middle 16 counties are Div 2 & 3

There's counties of course punching above their weight.

Monaghan and Roscommon with the 6th and 4th lowest population in the county are in Div 1.
    Fermanagh with the 5th lowest are in Div 2 and got to the last 16 in the AI this year.

And counties who have big populations but low standing.
    Antrim - mainly unionist county with a big hurling culture
    Kildare - No excuse, football county with 7th biggest population should be better.
    Limerick - Hurling county
    Tipp - Hurling county

Wicklow have to be the biggest underachievers in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mahogany wrote:

I'd say so - not a single provincial title...

Fewer clubs? Fewer players? Rugby & soccer are more popular in parts of the county. Baltinglass have won the club title though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Cork lose a lot of talent in football and hurling to professional sport.
    Maybe Donal Og can consider that before ripping a man apart on live tv.
    Structure, structure, structure structure nonsense is all we hear. Mayo have no underage structures and are in the top 4. The senior team wants for nothing.
    What exactly do the football and hurling senior team not get in Cork? Tyrone have the best underage structures and are outside the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Mahogany wrote: »

And Carlow. With their populations in predominantly gaelic football counties its a bit of a disgrace how bad they are. Down have surprisingly big pop too but Im assuming that includes the North Down and South Belfast middle classes who wouldn't be big GAA people!

• Advertisement

Mahogany wrote: »

Someone made the argument to be that Meath and Kildare's populations have shot up as a result of being practically suburbs of Dublin and that the Dublin contingent doesnt really benefit either county (Owing probably to the intense rivalry there) Perhaps Wicklow also have that argument? Although can the soccer/Rugby argument be applied here also?

You have to look at the individual demographs of each county also as well as the competiting factors. And most of all the setup is crucial. You can have blind men driving the train and a poor coaching structure at underage.

Advertisement