Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Standing By Population

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Interesting thread Jayop,

Fermanagh is about 55% nationalist,so their population pick would be 30-35,000. It shows what a great achievement it is for them to reach an All Ireland Quarter Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Kerry and Mayo have massive participation unlike a county like Kildare.
    There are no Knockmores or Garrymores or Ballintubbers in most counties. Knockmore has no town to speak of neither Garrymore. Aghamore no real town just a village.

Mayo also steal clubs from.neighbouring counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A real sore spot down here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with the population of Down. Didn't think it was bigger than Cork.

Similarly with hurling there is a correlation with good agricultural land and good hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Jayop wrote: »
    Some of the club teams are just massive anomalies. Bridgets in Roscommon and even Cross in Armagh.
    Garrymore has been an unbelievable 40 year story. Genuinely a tiny pick. Way below almost all clubs in Mayo. Yet still stick in there at Senior level. Even have County titles. Would be way below others at underage but they stick with it nice and steady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Better to do it by number of clubs per county. 42 football in kildare.

Garrymore has been an unbelievable 40 year story. Genuinely a tiny pick. Way below almost all clubs in Mayo. Yet still stick in there at Senior level. Even have County titles. Would be way below others at underage but they stick with it nice and steady.

Like Loughmore in tipperary, barely 200 in the parish and a few years ago they were senior hurling and football champions in the same year. Some club. Then big towns like clonmel and tipp town couldn't produce a hurler between then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

ixus wrote: »
    Better to do it by number of clubs per county. 42 football in kildare.

I'll try to do that at some stage tomorrow and append it to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Some of the club teams are just massive anomalies. Bridgets in Roscommon and even Cross in Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'll try to do that at some stage tomorrow and append it to the OP.

What does number of clubs illustrate? Dublin has a number of super clubs with thousands of members. You can't pick random fact in isolation and compare them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I think number of clubs is very important. Other factors can come into play too in smaller counties. My own county Sligo has a massive soccer fanbase who have no interest whatsoever in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Surprised with the population of Down. Didn't think it was bigger than Cork.

Similarly with hurling there is a correlation with good agricultural land and good hurling.

You have to remember however that there is very little GAA in North Down, Bangor,Comber,Newtownards,Dundonald and Donaghadee would not exactly be awash with GAA fanatics. That's probably close to 150,000 alone in population. with only minimal interest.That's not even taking into account East Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There's more to it than just population but the list is still interesting to have a look at. Most football counties' supporters would have hopes of seeing their county winning an all Ireland some day but in reality the numbers show that no county below number 14 in that list has won one for over 30 years. Possibly, for any county with a population of under 100,000, as a result of more developed structures and better use today of the resources that have always been available to more populous counties, winning a football All Ireland has become an impossible task.

I saw a stat recently which said that the last time Mayo won an All Ireland it was the fifth most populated county in the country at the time. I have no doubt that if it was still the fifth most populated county we'd have won a few more since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hammar wrote: »
    Interesting thread Jayop,

Fermanagh is about 55% nationalist,so their population pick would be 30-35,000. It shows what a great achievement it is for them to reach an All Ireland Quarter Final.

It is, I remember a comment from their CB chairman back when they were going well in 2004 something along the lines of "Shur half the county is water and half the other half is protestant"... I thought it was a good line at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

New York?????

What does number of clubs illustrate? Dublin has a number of super clubs with thousands of members. You can't pick random fact in isolation and compare them.

But it wouldn't be looking at it in isolation. It would be the opposite I'm fact as it be attempting to collate different sets of data.

The thing about mayo bring the fifth most populous County when they last one is intriguing. I'll have to look at that too with counties like cavan who won their last the year before mayo won theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Not this ****e again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There's more to it than just population but the list is still interesting to have a look at. Most football counties' supporters would have hopes of seeing their county winning an all Ireland some day but in reality the numbers show that no county below number 14 in that list has won one for over 30 years. Possibly, for any county with a population of under 100,000, as a result of more developed structures and better use today of the resources that have always been available to more populous counties, winning a football All Ireland has become an impossible task.

I saw a stat recently which said that the last time Mayo won an All Ireland it was the fifth most populated county in the country at the time. I have no doubt that if it was still the fifth most populated county we'd have won a few more since then.

Ah come on, quit with the excuses :)

Clubs and the amount of football played also have a big factor of course as people are saying.

I onced asked an old Mayo man living here in Kerry about what the difference between Mayo and Kerry were and he said that he found there was far more football being played in Kerry.

I dont know what its like elsewhere but each club would play the following competitions in Kerry.

County league
    Club championship (junior, intermediate, or senior)
    County championship (clubs that are not senior may have players on the divisional team)
    Divisional championship
    Divisional league.

That means that you are playing football from March to new year's day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I can't believe Cavan has that many people living in it.

I'd say 15k of them are recent arrivals (Celtic tiger Dubs stealing our cheap houses around East Cavan/ Ballyjamesdublin :) ).

Interesting comparison but none of these are perfect and don't take other variables into account. What would be very interesting to put beside the population is no of clubs/ club membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

But it wouldn't be looking at it in isolation. It would be the opposite I'm fact as it be attempting to collate different sets of data.

https://twitter.com/europegaa/status/450647697557422082/photo/1

Now what , Cork's lack of recent success is due to too many clubs? Dublin people to clubs ratio capita number of clubs is on of the lowest so what?

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/europegaa/status/450647697557422082/photo/1

Now what , Cork's lack of recent success is due to too many clubs? Dublin people to clubs ratio capita number of clubs is on of the lowest so what?

I'm not trying say there's a definitive pattern or dingle set of reasons behind so,e counties being weak if strong. There is however a general pattern within which there will be glaring anomalies like Monaghan in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Likes of Fermanagh really punching above their weight...as a witty lad said to me at mart the other day...' Jaysus if you took the Lakes,Protestants and Women out of Fermanagh they Havnt much to pick from'.....
    Not very PC but kinda true:)

Likes of Fermanagh really punching above their weight...as a witty lad said to me at mart the other day...' Jaysus if you took the Lakes,Protestants and Women out of Fermanagh they Havnt much to pick from'.....
    Not very PC but kinda true:)

Even the fat kids get a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mayo 17th in terms of population but a consistent contender nevertheless. A serious football county

There's no doubt that counties that focus on one sport ie mayo in football kilkenny in hurling benefit greatly as opposed to the likes of Galway and Cork who give equal resources to both.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There's no doubt that counties that focus on one sport ie mayo in football kilkenny in hurling benefit greatly as opposed to the likes of Galway and Cork who give equal resources to both.

Doesn't say much for the current Meath or Kildare sides. Even Antrim if they want to be a hurling county they make a poor fist of that for such a big county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Andy Moran should be playing with Roscommon

seanhynes wrote: »
    Andy Moran should be playing with Roscommon

He could easily play for Roscommon if he wanted to.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In any population you will have a % of good athletes . The sport may be dependant on locality but in general the bigger the population the more sucessful you are either as a county , city or country.
    Kerry and kilkenny are anomalies due to almost absolute fanstism .
    They may prove the point that population alone doesnt guarantee sucess but there definetly is a corelation .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Shows that these figures in isolation count for nothing...

Kerry are the benchmark pretty much every decade and yet their population is closer to all the teams below them then it is to the top 5 counties!

The kind of athletes a county has, Coupled with the right structure and culture is more important then resources and population.

While the likes of cork and other whingebags focus on refs and resources, the kilkennys and Kerry's of the GAA world will continue to thrive making the most out of what they have instead of giving out about what they don't have!

Advertisement