Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Standing By Population

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I probably won't get much agreement with this but I think the only solution now is to split Dublin! What other action can we take to make things fair? To make it that teams are competing on a level playing field? It's sad that it's come to this but it's the action that's required.

Silly to damage a successful product. Let's merge unsuccessful counties. Uo Galyo, I've a feeling Kilfaly can really challenge the Dubs this year but Kerick will find it difficult to beat Corarry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

TrueGael wrote: »
    Dublin by right should be able to fund their own GDF such is their unique capacity to attract enormous sponsorship.

Now maybe they would haven't have as huge backroom and have to cut some of their professional staff(Commercial Mgr, PR mgr etc) but it would benefit the whole country rather than just 1 team

Where the fk do you think most of the money from attendances comes from? Dublin supporters are already funding big part of other county's costs.

You want us to just give up?

Sick of all this begrudgery. Same peasants who always hated Dublin. Often from counties with almost zero GAA or republican or literary history. Kips that no-one would notice if they were not there.

Suck it up. 26 All Ireland football titles, bate the Tans, O'Casey, Beckett, Behan, Joyce..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin hurlers get one of highest home attendances of any county when playing in Parnell Park.

But, lets not the facts get in the way of your peasant bitterness :)

Dublin hurlers played one regular round-robin game in Parnell Park in 2016. Per Wiki, it was the second lowest attended game in Div 1a. So much for your ,ah, "facts".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PARlance wrote: »
    21% isn't to be sniffed at but costs are much higher in Dublin and maybe that could / should be factored in.

~But then it doesn't fit with the argument that we for some reason are engaging with these guys in.

Where the fk do you think most of the money from attendances comes from? Dublin supporters are already funding big part of other county's costs.

You want us to just give up?

Sick of all this begrudgery. Same peasants who always hated Dublin. Often from counties with almost zero GAA or republican or literary history. Kips that no-one would notice if they were not there.

Suck it up. 26 All Ireland football titles, bate the Tans, O'Casey, Beckett, Behan, Joyce..... :)

But according to some Dubs here it's they who are the peasants and need the money from the GAA for the children. Attendances at Leinster football championship games have fallen off a cliff, must have been nobody from Kerry and Mayo at the only sold-out Dublin games and you could fit the Dublin hurling support , especially if they have to go to strange places like Thurles, into a mini-bus. Didn't know you had to be some kind 'Ra head to have an opinion on GAA and f**k knows what Beckett, Joyce and a roaring drunk like Behan have got to do with anything.

PS. When did Dublin beat "the Tans"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Dublin 'fans' seem to think the GAA is just like Professional Soccer or the NFL and the team with the most money should be handed every advantage and screw the rest.

Funny thing is even the lowest team in the PL will get £99m while the winner bout £150m which is only a 1.5 difference between top and bottom not the laughable 15 times per capita disparity here. While the NFL realises a close true competition is best for sport as well as business and do this with a salary cap.

Dublin 'fans' seem to think the GAA is just like Professional Soccer or the NFL and the team with the most money should be handed every advantage and screw the rest.

Funny thing is even the lowest team in the PL will get £99m while the winner bout £150m which is only a 1.5 difference between top and bottom not the laughable 15 times per capita disparity here. While the NFL realises a close true competition is best for sport as well as business and do this with a salary cap.

Is that what Dublin fans think? Thanks for telling me.

Mad.

---

From my experience, Dublin fans want a competitive fair championship.

Funny you should bring up the NFL, the most communist of sports leagues where advantages are numbed as much as possible to keep every team (except Cleveland) comptetitive as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Have you just contradictaed your self in those two paragraphs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

From my experience, Dublin fans want a competitive fair championship that they always win.

Fixed that for you

No i didn't my whole point was in the most capitalist country in the world , the owners realise the best way to make $$$ in the long-term you need to a fair and viable competition the competing teams need to be starting from an even base. Whereas we can see here in Ireland crowds at the Leinster have absolutely plummeted in the last 10 years (which is losing the GAA huge €) even thought the GAA gets more coverage and publicity from the media than it did in the 90's and early 00's. The same is beginning to happen with AI Series

Perhaps I shouldn't have included the PL as wealthy owners can put in billions but the money handed out to clubs at end of season (by the PL itself) is still far more equal than what is happening here with the GAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin hurlers played one regular round-robin game in Parnell Park in 2016. Per Wiki, it was the second lowest attended game in Div 1a. So much for your ,ah, "facts".

4,800 for the Galway game on a Saturday night.

Not exactly "three men and a dog" :)

4,800 for the Galway game on a Saturday night.

Not exactly "three men and a dog" :)

Not exactly "one of highest home attendances of any county" which you maintained was a "fact" either , is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No i didn't my whole point was in the most capitalist country in the world , the owners realise the best way to make $$$ in the long-term you need to a fair and viable competition the competing teams need to be starting from an even base. Whereas we can see here in Ireland crowds at the Leinster have absolutely plummeted in the last 10 years (which is losing the GAA huge €) even thought the GAA gets more coverage and publicity from the media than it did in the 90's and early 00's. The same is beginning to happen with AI Series

Perhaps I shouldn't have included the PL as wealthy owners can put in billions but the money handed out to clubs at end of season (by the PL itself) is still far more equal than what is happening here with the GAA

Read you initial post again. You state Dublin fans think it is run like professional soccer or the NFL in the 1st paragraph then go on to say the NFL is run the correct way!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Blud wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be disputing these figures too. Have a read of Gavin Cooneys article on balls.ie - it mentions a figure of over €1.4m being given to the Dubs, then mentions over 39,000 registered players in Dublin, then calculates that as €274.70 per registered player.

Now I'm not a mathematician, but for 39,000 players to get €274.70 per player, then I'd be calculating they'd need about €10.7m in grants, but the data provided doesn't support this sort of figure anywhere.

Would appreciate an explanation if I'm missing something.

The data is over a 4/5 year period (2010-2014) which would make the €10 million in grants possible

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

PARlance wrote: »
    21% isn't to be sniffed at but costs are much higher in Dublin and maybe that could / should be factored in.

Perhaps costs should be factored in. Costs in Dublin are higher, but travel for Games Development Officers in other counties would probably negate a lot of that?

I think we're both arguing different sides of a strawman argument at the end of the day, as I don't believe those figures at all.

It's an interesting debate - it's a pity that folk on here are a bit too tribal and use this as either a stick to beat one county or else deny all existence of it to support their own - it is a fundamental issue of the GAA community and should be addressed as such rather than from a 'defend your own' point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

cunavalos wrote: »
    The data is over a 4/5 year period (2010-2014) which would make the €10 million in grants possible

Ah I see. Maybe makes more sense, but I wouldn't be wholly convinced of it anyway.

I'd love an official breakdown from the GAA of all funding per county, itemised. That would be interesting.

At the end of the day Thoth, I don't really see impropriety in any of this. Hindsight is great and Dublin winning a few All irelands skews things a bit. In the early noughties, it would have been seen as fairly critical for the GAA to invest in Dublin with all those horrible foreign sports (you know, them Tans) growing in popularity. We (the GAA) have preserved our interests accordingly and should be happy enough with it so far, but could maybe ease off on the funding for Dublin in the short to medium term, for now anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod:
    And once again a thread gets dragged into a mud slinging match.

Bonniedog and Biloxi Blues, do not post in this thread again and don't take your grievances to another thread.

Everyone else, stick to the topic. Like it or not, this is a legitimate topic for discussion. If you don't want to constructively participate, then don't participate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Ok so to make it fair and viable how do you propose to balance out the differences between Kerry (the most successful team ) and say Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Even if the figures are true and dublin get 20% more funding, honestly it's probably better for the GAA as a whole. For almost all other counties GAA is pretty much the only show in town and doesn't need to compete with rugby and soccer like dublin. If dublin gets a leg up in order for GAA not to lose out to other sports then there's a lot of logic to that.

They're not really long term dominant, things are not hot underage for them right now.

Oh and the tans were driven out by Corkmen, not jackeens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Even if the figures are true and dublin get 20% more funding, honestly it's probably better for the GAA as a whole. For almost all other counties GAA is pretty much the only show in town and doesn't need to compete with rugby and soccer like dublin. If dublin gets a leg up in order for GAA not to lose out to other sports then there's a lot of logic to that.

They're not really long term dominant, things are not hot underage for them right now.

That's not really true is it?

Sligo town for example is heavily football (soccer) dominant and that's just one example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That's not true at all that GAA is only show, or almost only show, in town in all other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Jayop wrote: »
    That's not really true is it?

Sligo town for example is heavily football (soccer) dominant and that's just one example.

I am fairly certain that if Limerick, Waterford or Sligo county boards came up with a suitable Strategic Plan that they would get extra funding for their GDOs and juvenile playing population to address their urban population issues.

They kind of are, certainly in Leinster which kills a whole competition, North Dublin alone would walk Leinster right now. They haven't lost a game in league and championship all year. I'm not sure that ever happened before. Dublin may not be dominant nationally underage but I'd say they are just taking a breather. They are Leinster championships and had a player in O'Callaghan that may have been the best in the competition.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    They kind of are, certainly in Leinster which kills a whole competition, North Dublin alone would walk Leinster right now. They haven't lost a game in league and championship all year. I'm not sure that ever happened before. Dublin may not be dominant nationally underage but I'd say they are just taking a breather. They are Leinster championships and had a player in O'Callaghan that may have been the best in the competition.

Haven't Kildare won three of the last four Leinster minor football championships?

Dublin certainly don't dominate underage in Leinster the way they do at senior level.

Godge wrote: »
    I am fairly certain that if Limerick, Waterford or Sligo county boards came up with a suitable Strategic Plan that they would get extra funding for their GDOs and juvenile playing population to address their urban population issues.

I've not said they wouldn't. I've also not criticised Dublin (AFAIK) for getting more money than other counties. I'm simply saying that the post saying Dublin GAA has to compete with other sports while other counties doesn't is pure bumkin.

Dots1982 wrote: »

We've always been though. It's only now that we're winning All-Ireland's that people care. No one gave a crap when Dublin won Leinster constantly and fell at AI stage.

Jayop wrote: »
    I've not said they wouldn't. I've also not criticised Dublin (AFAIK) for getting more money than other counties. I'm simply saying that the post saying Dublin GAA has to compete with other sports while other counties doesn't is pure bumkin.

Rugby in Cork and Limerick.

Soccer in Derry, Belfast, Waterford, Sligo, Cork and Limerick.

The likes of Mayo, Kerry, Kilkenny etc. don't see much competition from other sports.

Soccer is quite large in Mayo too, but GAA is king there for sure!

We've always been though. It's only now that we're winning All-Ireland's that people care. No one gave a crap when Dublin won Leinster constantly and fell at AI stage.

Even if Dublin were a joke that never won anything, the funding they received since 2005 is still not fair, equitable or sensible.

• Advertisement

tritium

It is interesting you reference Kerry and Leitrim

Kerry received 42k and Leitrim 39k which equates to €19 and €56.90 respectively per capita

And I have absolutely no problem with the difference there as developing counties will only close the gap to the stronger with a greater rate of funding than the strongest.

Considering Dublin's extortionate figure of €274,70 per player how does anyone expect Dublin to be challenged in the next 20-30 years and beyond?

Advertisement