Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Not my problem parents can't keep control of their kids and stop them walking behind reversing cars.

I've never had a problem with that in any case.

yes because a dead child is so worth your comfort and smugness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

arayess wrote: »
    yes because a dead child is so worth your comfort and smugness :rolleyes:

Yes, because that's what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not my problem parents can't keep control of their kids and stop them walking behind reversing cars.

Can depend on the area but I know outside my nearest Tesco, I'm always more afraid of hitting a person while reversing out of a space than hitting a car. Because of the tight footpaths people just walk along the parked cars as they like. If there were children, the likelihood of seeing them while reversing is far worse.

Also in terms of design, it's easier to group together the parking spaces which require more space together, then just fill the remaining area with standard spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Yes, because that's what's going to happen.

if a child gets knocked down then yeah that is what will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The Ballymun flats were decent buildings/architecture but they didn't belong in Ireland due to the bad weather and scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The Ballymun flats were decent buildings/architecture but they didn't belong in Ireland due to the bad weather and scumbags.

Well if the weather was a factor then they weren't good architecture, because good architecture takes into consideration the surrounds, the elements and the conditions of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I find the best thing to do in supermarket carparks or any shopping centre carparks the further you park away from the entrance of the shop or entrance to the shopping centre, the better and safer it is, I always park a good bit away from the entrance.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I dislike people who drink excessively and make negative comments like that you're dry because you don't drink. To be honest I think it's sadder that you have to drink copious amounts of alcohol to have a good time. It's expensive and leaves you with a hangover. I understand getting tipsy or overdoing it on the odd occasion but on a regular basis, that's so boring. And then all the discussion on Facebook the next day. Oh my god I was so drunk, I'm dying, I feel so sick, what did I do last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So you think the proliferation of 'scumbags' (your word) had absolutely nothing to do with the crap housing conditions in the area?
    Bad Horse wrote: »
    I disagree. It's bad enough reversing out of parking spaces with eejits who just walk right behind your car, but small children? That's an accident that will definitely happen.

Parent & Baby spaces being closer to the entrance isn't just for the space required, it's for safety too.

Good drivers reverse in and drive out. That way you have a clear view of the surroundings both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Recently had a job interview in a retail outlet, a place that sells office equipment.

Show up to the interview and I get interviewed by a middle aged Irish woman who runs the store and a young enough foreign girl who was five minutes older than me with somewhat of a dodgy accent. Going by her name I'd say she was Estonian or Lithuanian perhaps, either way from Eastern Europe. Interview did go well and I think I was more than qualified for the job, showed the usual positivity and researched the outlet quite well.

It did really get up my nose that a young immigrant was interviewing me for a basic retail position and I really don't think she should have been in the room and it should have been just me and the Irish woman that clearly runs the place. Even found the foreign one on Facebook after I got yet another rejection letter from the place that had her name on it, she worked in a shoe shop like very recently and the shop went bust and she's in this other place now, interviewing Irish people who struggle to get work.

To me it's just not right, might be an unpopular opinion but really I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    To me it's just not right, might be an unpopular opinion but really I don't care.

More bitter than unpopular.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Recently had a job interview in a retail outlet, a place that sells office equipment.

Show up to the interview and I get interviewed by a middle aged Irish woman who runs the store and a young enough foreign girl who was five minutes older than me with somewhat of a dodgy accent. Going by her name I'd say she was Estonian or Lithuanian perhaps, either way from Eastern Europe. Interview did go well and I think I was more than qualified for the job, showed the usual positivity and researched the outlet quite well.

It did really get up my nose that a young immigrant was interviewing me for a basic retail position and I really don't think she should have been in the room and it should have been just me and the Irish woman that clearly runs the place. Even found the foreign one on Facebook after I got yet another rejection letter from the place that had her name on it, she worked in a shoe shop like very recently and the shop went bust and she's in this other place now, interviewing Irish people who struggle to get work.

She could speak 6 languages for all you know, and considering the usual people who will apply for an entry level retail job in this country a skill like that would be very valuable in an interview situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

RainyDay wrote: »
    So you think the proliferation of 'scumbags' (your word) had absolutely nothing to do with the crap housing conditions in the area?

It's more likely down to moving a bunch of gougers out from Sheriff Street and other parts of the inner city to a decent place where they had more space and knew nothing better than to fill it with their sprogs who then learned how to be gougers from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't get it, what's not right... foreign people being anywhere but the bottom rung of the employment ladder? I'm really at a loss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I've lived in a few cities where high rise flats were really appreciated and sought after. Great views etc, lifts that work and a nice community.

Am not sure how bad weather affected The Flats. I mean, have you heard the raucous laughter coming from inside the pub of the same name? While it was still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are far, far too many so-called "pedigree" breeds of dogs, many of whom have big problems health wise. They should be bred out of existence. Plus the world really doesn't need breeds like pit bull terriers.
    Ah that's not really true about bull terriers and the likes...they do help people with secretly low self esteem feel pretty "hard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

While constant rejection searching for a job is a pain in the arse, redirecting that anger and bitterness at some random immigrant isn't going to get you anywhere. It may well be that your attitude manifested sufficiently in that very interview for it to have played a role in you not getting the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

foreign girl who was five minutes older than me with somewhat of a dodgy accent.

Not trying to be funny, what does "dodgy accent" mean here? Fake sounding?
    Honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Embarrassing. This is why we can't have nice things a serious debate on emigration. Because any sensible adult who may be critical of aspects of immigration policy is paranoid about being ssociated with people who think the Untermensch shouldn't dare advance themselves (if anything, my experience is that people from that part of Europe tend to work in employment below their standard of education and intelligence).

Don't forget, the person who chose not to hire you is Irish, and running a business which sounds like it must be growing. Have you considered the possibility that she knows what she is doing? Both in hiring this woman, and not hiring you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    More bitter than unpopular.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    She could speak 6 languages for all you know, and considering the usual people who will apply for an entry level retail job in this country a skill like that would be very valuable in an interview situation.
    conorh91 wrote: »
    Embarrassing. This is why we can't have nice things a serious debate on emigration. Because any sensible adult who may be critical of aspects of immigration policy is paranoid about being ssociated with people who think the Untermensch shouldn't dare advance themselves (if anything, my experience is that people from that part of Europe tend to work in employment below their standard of education and intelligence).

Don't forget, the person who chose not to hire you is Irish, and running a business which sounds like it must be growing. Have you considered the possibility that she knows what she is doing? Both in hiring this woman, and not hiring you?

You's can sneer all you like. The elephant in the PC room is that there are foreign people here, taking our jobs, while Irish people are flocking to Oz and Canada for jobs of their own. Its not about bitterness or xenophobia, its about common sense. You have to draw the line on emigration somewhere.

You say that you had good experience. She probably had better experience, hence her being in that position. You mentioned her nationality and her age. Lemme guess, you had an issue with the fact that she was a woman too, right?

I could care less about where someone is from. Or how old they are. They got in the position they're in for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

newmug wrote: »
    You's can sneer all you like. The elephant in the PC room is that there are foreign people here, taking our jobs, while Irish people are flocking to Oz and Canada for jobs of their own. Its not about bitterness or xenophobia, its about common sense. You have to draw the line on emigration somewhere.

So if they take our jobs and we take their jobs doesn't it all work out?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And there are Irish people in France, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg etc "taking" jobs over there - free movement, that's how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It's more likely down to moving a bunch of gougers out from Sheriff Street and other parts of the inner city to a decent place where they had more space and knew nothing better than to fill it with their sprogs who then learned how to be gougers from them.
    You obviously know f*ck all about Sheriff Street or the inner city, except for your blinkered, ignorant opinions :mad:

I grew up in these areas, granted there are gougers there as their are elsewhere, but a greater sense of community spirit you won't find anywhere else.

It never ceased to amaze me the fact that those who had so little would be so giving & circle the wagons to help out a neighbour in times of need, without question.

If you knew anything about the areas in question, you'd know this, but sure, don't let me tell you otherwise & carry on blissfully in your ignorance :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    You obviously know f*ck all about Sheriff Street or the inner city, except for your blinkered, ignorant opinions :mad:

I grew up in these areas, granted there are gougers there as their are elsewhere, but a greater sense of community spirit you won't find anywhere else.

It never ceased to amaze me the fact that those who had so little would be so giving & circle the wagons to help out a neighbour in times of need, without question.

If you knew anything about the areas in question, you'd know this, but sure, don't let me tell you otherwise & carry on blissfully in your ignorance :rolleyes:

I agree with this post almost entirely and have extensive experience in the area but I do take issue with the bolded. The inner city and working class areas do have a great sense of community but its a nonsense to suggest that it is unique to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yeah ****ing Irish people going and taking Australian and canadian jobs, ya have to dry the line somewhere.

But drawing the line on emmigration? We should stop Irish people leaving Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I agree with this post almost entirely and have extensive experience in the area but I do take issue with the bolded. The inner city and working class areas do have a great sense of community but its a nonsense to suggest that it is unique to them.
    In my experience...

I have never lived anywhere else but working class areas, so have no other reference point to debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    In my experience...

I have never lived anywhere else but working class areas, so have no other reference point to debate.

Well then with respect don't presume to tell everyone else they have inferior community spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

And why do you think that Sherriff St and other parts of the inner city had a proliferation of 'gougers' (your word)? Could it have related to the housing conditions there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement