Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No one is any gender

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nodin wrote: »
    Well, women have breasts and a vagina, so if somebody had one but not the other, because they felt comfortable that way....

Fat guys have breasts. Some women can basically have no breasts.

Does that mean that people can just decide to call themselves any number of pretend halfway house gender descriptors just because?

Fine so. I'm a woman now. I have no female sex organs and don't look or feel like a woman but i've decided i am one anyway.

You're a bigot if you tell me i'm not because i say i am and that is apparently all that matters now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Does that mean that people can just decide to call themselves any number of pretend halfway house gender descriptors just because?

Fine so. I'm a woman now. I have no female sex organs and don't look or feel like a woman but i've decided i am one anyway.

You're a bigot if you tell me i'm not because i say i am and that is apparently all that matters now.

That makes no sense, even by "silly example" standards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Extreme political correctness is a headwreck in fairness.

Quite.

But, I think for the most part the alleged pervasiveness of political correctness is overhyped by some media commentators because it suits a narrative whinge. Some stories are reported in a particular way, often without much depth, to suit preconceptions about PCness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Do we have to call you Loretta now? :pac:

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    That makes no sense, even by "silly example" standards.

You're right.

I've decided i'm actually an otherkin dragon trapped in the body of a 14 year old Japanese schoolgirl called Miko. I don't look like a Japanese schoolgirl or anything but i've decided that's what i am so you aren't allowed to say anything negative about dragons, women, Japanese people or headcases who think they are something that they simply aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

the colour blue doesn't exist. It's a social construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Seems to be an unpopular opinion on the internet:
    The overwhelming majority of what people call PC, is just treating other people with respect, and decency. Sure, there are some extremely fringe elements, but mostly its just trying to make people realise that ****ting on people who are a minority, or are different, is not as harmless as some like to think.

Anti ECB/IMF/EU types are our equivalent of the conspiracy theory nutters in America who think the government over there is run by lizard people/Illuminati/Monsanto/aliens.

They are only actually taken somewhat seriously over here at the moment because they are a relatively new phenomenon.

Anti ECB/IMF/EU types are our equivalent of the conspiracy theory nutters in America who think the government over there is run by lizard people/Illuminati/Monsanto/aliens.

They are only actually taken somewhat seriously over here at the moment because they are a relatively new phenomenon.

Unless you actually believe that the U.S. was run by alien lizards that's just not true. Ireland was controlled by the troika.

• Advertisement

Dimithy wrote: »
    The overwhelming majority of what people call PC, is just treating other people with respect, and decency. Sure, there are some extremely fringe elements, but mostly its just trying to make people realise that ****ting on people who are a minority, or are different, is not as harmless as some like to think.

Political correctness never protected the white male. So it's not just politeness.

Political correctness never protected the white male. So it's not just politeness.

Protected them from what?

Protected them from what?

From impoliteness.

From impoliteness.

As a white male, you're going to have to explain this to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

No one is any gender

That's discriminatory against those that do

As a white male, you're going to have to explain this to me.

Really? You said it's not about criticising certain groups but it's clearly easy to pick on "whites".

The very fact that you quote that americanised rot "as a white male" proves there is little hope for you.

My unpopular opinion. Identity politics is a right wing American ideology designed hide the power of Empire, finance and class, to hide American supremacy and substitute "white". Europeans come in all shapes, cultures and colours and most of them -- the Irish, the Belarusians, the polish, the Finnish, the Swedes, etc etc etc etc are in no way a dominant world power. Tell it to the Greeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Quite.

But, I think for the most part the alleged pervasiveness of political correctness is overhyped by some media commentators because it suits a narrative whinge. Some stories are reported in a particular way, often without much depth, to suit preconceptions about PCness.

Would you have any examples of this?

Really? You said it's not about criticising certain groups but it's clearly easy to pick on "whites".

The very fact that you quote that americanised rot "as a white male" proves there is little hope for you.

Eh...

I responded to your use of white male. I apologise for using a phrase that you introduced into the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You're right.

I've decided i'm actually an otherkin dragon trapped in the body of a 14 year old Japanese schoolgirl called Miko. I don't look like a Japanese schoolgirl or anything but i've decided that's what i am so you aren't allowed to say anything negative about dragons, women, Japanese people or headcases who think they are something that they simply aren't.

Fair enough and I respect your diversity, but its a life of tentacles up the arse fer you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

newmug wrote: »

Bill O' Reilly vs. Christmas vs. atheists comes to mind. :p

Not off the top of my head re recent events or stories, though. I do cringe the way some stories are published because copy and paste journalism and the need to be first has replaced that of accuracy. I often don't read pieces that scream about political correctness because it gets tiresome. That's a 'lil confirmation bias on my part, of course. At times there's too much carry on now with the backlash and the backlash against the backlash. I think some of it's just people trying to big up themselves online rather then being mildly or seriously offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone who sees themselves as part of a minority group in one way, often purposely ignore, or inadvertently miss the fact that they are part of other majority groups, in so many other ways.

Identity politics is, by it's own definition a divisive and separatist philosophy, played by people who don't want to have themselves recognised as part of society because while they want to reap the benefits of being a member of that society such as their rights and so on, they're not nearly so forward when it comes to contributing towards that society or replacing the chips on their shoulders with the burden of responsibility instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What's more, you'll tend to find those that shout "PC" "liberal leftie" and so on (often in hilariously poor context - someone once called a car 'PC' on here :pac: ) also cry victim the loudest and the longest. Lately they have actually just whipped the victim card out right in the first few posts of any thread with "I would say how I feel but I'm afraid of the mods" type nonsense. It's quite interesting to observe, actually. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

:pac:

What was he supposed to say, given YOU referred to how it never protected 'the white male'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

newmug wrote: »
    If clowns on Twitter, Tumblr and the Guardian are upset by people not using extreme politically correct terminology, they're just a bunch of cranks - they're not the norm. I never encounter people like that day to day. Never. I just ignore them or wind them up, but certainly don't view them as having an effect on me or my life.

There are issues that can't be discussed in a sensible manner for sure though, e.g. immigration. But that's because of extreme eejitry from both sides. If people could meet in the middle, I'm sure a constructive discussion could be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Four people have died in the last month in Spain during bull runs. I have no sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Four people have died in the last month in Spain during bull runs. I have no sympathy for them.

Why do Spaniards have such a hard on for abusing bulls, what the hell is wrong with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What other possible reason could there be?

A person is either one or the other. Sorry that your trans lifestyle has become (thankfully) so widely accepted that you have to come up with something else to label it as so that you can feel unique.

Another unpopular opinion:

Society and the media (particularly the internet) has made a lot of younger people feel like everyone deserves to be considered special when there are very few truly special people in the world and everyone else is just run of the mill. Including myself and probably everyone reading this post :P

The amount of 20-somethings i know who can't handle this fact and basically fall apart when confronted with it is alarming to me in the context of the future of the world.

Why do they have to be one or the other, they might not identity with either gender, and a person can be born with both male and female sex organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why do Spaniards have such a hard on for abusing bulls, what the hell is wrong with these people.

To their credit, Catalonia has a ban on bullfighting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

fin12 wrote: »
    Why do they have to be one or the other, they might not identity with either gender, and a person can be born with both male and female sex organs.

Biology. Thats why. You are either male, female, or hermaphrodite. There is no other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doubt that is very unpopular and I agree with you, I couldn't care less about them either.

The bulls are obviously frightened and if they gore some stupid gobsh1te it's his own fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement