Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kev W wrote: »
    Yes you could.

You could care little enough not to post about him.

Could be getting annoyed/sick of the constant fuss over him surely? I'm sure he knows what he feels more than you know what he feels?! I'm the kinda the same, getting fed up with hearing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Omackeral wrote: »
    Could be getting annoyed/sick of the constant fuss over him surely? I'm sure he knows what he feels more than you know what he feels?! I'm the kinda the same, getting fed up with hearing about it.

The "constant fuss" is entirely avoidable. If you're sick of something that means you care.

For example, I don't care about football, so I never bring it up or go out of my way to let people know that. Except for just now, when it has a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

The "constant fuss" is entirely avoidable. If you're sick of something that means you care.

For example, I don't care about football, so I never bring it up or go out of my way to let people know that. Except for just now, when it has a purpose.

How is it, Its in every paper on most website and people won't shut up about it...I'm sick of it and i dont care and never cared about it.

wylie wrote: »
    How is it, Its in every paper on most website and people won't shut up about it...I'm sick of it and i dont care and never cared about it.

See a headline about it? Don't read the article.

Avoided.

Avoided.

See it and think about, thats how i work:P

• Advertisement

I disagree. Example, everyday converstaions, news headlines in the media, facebook feed. Being sick of something doesn't show you care. If you care, for something or someone, you show good will or interest. The term care has positive connotations. If you're sick of something it certainly doesn't show you care, that's just silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Which reminds me of another unpopular opinion. MMA is a vicious, horrible, ugly sport that should be banned.

Two chances. You are neither forced to watch or participate.

wylie wrote: »
    See it and think about, thats how i work:P

You don't want to think about it at all so you decided to start a conversation about it?

Avoided.

But if it's on the Six One? You'll say change the channel. That would be annoying would it not? If it's in conversation with friends/colleagues. Walk away? That's annoying isn't it?

I disagree. Example, everyday converstaions, news headlines in the media, facebook feed. Being sick of something doesn't show you care. If you care, for something or someone, you show good will or interest. The term care has positive connotations. If you're sick of something it certainly doesn't show you care, that's just silly.

Do you care about racism? For example.

• Advertisement

Do you care about racism? For example.

Yeah I do, I care about who it affects. What's your point?

You don't want to think about it at all so you decided to start a conversation about it?

This is the Unpopular opinions thread do you realise that?

Started a conversation, more like posted a comment :rolleyes:

Yeah I do, I care about who it affects. What's your point?

I didn't ask if you care about who it effects. I asked if you care about racism.

I didn't ask if you care about who it effects. I asked if you care about racism.

I answered that I do and went on to elaborate that the reason I care is because I don't think people should suffer from it. You realise what care means don't you i.e. providing care, showing care. Anyway, I feel you're being a little pedantic so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

mod: Kev W, Omackeral, it'd be best if you took your conversation to PM; you've both already been warned about dragging threads off topic.

Secondly, Kev W, if someone posts an unpopular opinion here, you don't need to consantlly attack them for it. There's no benefit to you being hostile towards wylie so stop it.

Cheers,
    Tombi!

Tombi! wrote: »
    mod: Kev W, Omackeral, it'd be best if you took your conversation to PM; you've both already been warned about dragging threads off topic.

Secondly, Kev W, if someone posts an unpopular opinion here, you don't need to consantlly attack them for it. There's no benefit to you being hostile towards wylie so stop it.

Cheers,
    Tombi!

I parked the conversation in fairness if you look at my last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Nodin wrote: »
    Two chances. You are neither forced to watch or participate.

Take both those chances and still think MMA should be banned.

I also don't choose to go fox hunting or watch that, and think that should also be banned, I also don't watch or take part in Orange Marches that go through non supportive areas and think they should be banned.

So there are a few options where I take "two chances" and still think they should be banned. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Quazzie wrote: »
    So... you say we are all bandwagon jumpers and get behind Ireland for the big tournaments, and then go onto say how we complain that the standard of local soccer isn't enough but we don't complain about the Ireland team. The reason we're such bandwagon jumpers is because the Irish league and the Irish team are shít, and hard to watch. However when the unlikely happens and we make it to a finals we'll all jump on board for the craic. Nothing craic about going to watch LOI matches.

I'm just going to comment on this one real quick if I can. I think statements like this do no good for no one, both LOI fans and EPL "Bandwaggon" fans alike. I'm personally of the opinion that this is a short life that we live, if you want to follow Arsenal or Liverpool or Timbuktoo, it really has no impact on my life and as individuals, we are free to do pretty much as we please. This statement by Quazzie only serves to give those who choose to follow English teams a bad name, and also disrespects those who choose to follow LOI teams.

For me, in a dream world, we'd have a strong national league that people would get behind but in reality we are a small nation of 4 million with our big brothers Liverpool, Manchester, London, Glasgow etc., all an hour away from the major urban centres of this island.

I follow Cork City all over this country every second Friday, I take 6 or 7 days holidays over the year to allow me to do this. Every home game I meet the same lads in the same part of the stadium that I have done over the last 20 years and after all the ups and downs, the buzz on a Friday evening waiting to get out of work to go to a game is the same, if not stronger than what it was when I started going. For me, theres nothing in this world like supporting my local team, what I would advise people is to give it a shot, pick a team if there is one close to you and go to a few games, and if not, thats ok too, at the end of the day its only sport and people should do what ever they are happy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The GAA is a fantastic organisation and Hurling in particular is one of the very best things about this country you don't get elsewhere. Given the stick GAA gets on boards i'd say that's an unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

CHealy wrote: »
    I'm just going to comment on this one real quick if I can. I think statements like this do no good for no one, both LOI fans and EPL "Bandwaggon" fans alike. I'm personally of the opinion that this is a short life that we live, if you want to follow Arsenal or Liverpool or Timbuktoo, it really has no impact on my life and as individuals, we are free to do pretty much as we please. This statement by Quazzie only serves to give those who choose to follow English teams a bad name, and also disrespects those who choose to follow LOI teams.

For me, in a dream world, we'd have a strong national league that people would get behind but in reality we are a small nation of 4 million with our big brothers Liverpool, Manchester, London, Glasgow etc., all an hour away from the major urban centres of this island.

I follow Cork City all over this country every second Friday, I take 6 or 7 days holidays over the year to allow me to do this. Every home game I meet the same lads in the same part of the stadium that I have done over the last 20 years and after all the ups and downs, the buzz on a Friday evening waiting to get out of work to go to a game is the same, if not stronger than what it was when I started going. For me, theres nothing in this world like supporting my local team, what I would advise people is to give it a shot, pick a team if there is one close to you and go to a few games, and if not, thats ok too, at the end of the day its only sport and people should do what ever they are happy doing.
    Are you mixing up the term "bandwagon" and "barstoolers"?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

mullyboyee wrote: »
    MMA is not a sport

This may be your opinion but it is as much a sport as soccer, hurling and rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The GAA is a fantastic organisation and Hurling in particular is one of the very best things about this country you don't get elsewhere. Given the stick GAA gets on boards i'd say that's an unpopular opinion.
    I agree with most of that but the GAA is very "anti-everything-that-isn't-GAA".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I agree with most of that but the GAA is very "anti-everything-that-isn't-GAA".

So are all sports played at a high level. GAA just stands out because it had a monopoly in the country for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

eternal wrote: »
    Care less and careless are two different things by the way.

So are every day and everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Quazzie wrote: »
    So... you say we are all bandwagon jumpers and get behind Ireland for the big tournaments, and then go onto say how we complain that the standard of local soccer isn't enough but we don't complain about the Ireland team. The reason we're such bandwagon jumpers is because the Irish league and the Irish team are shít, and hard to watch. However when the unlikely happens and we make it to a finals we'll all jump on board for the craic. Nothing craic about going to watch LOI matches.
    That contradicts itself. You say that the national team is hard to watch, but people go for the craic, which only happens at big events. So, it's not the football, it's the event and the people. If you went to LOI games with 10 of your mates you'd have the craic. Go to an away game with the same group and it even better.
    It sort of like saying you can't have fun with a group of friends in an old shebeen pub with sawdust on the floor, it has to be a superclub in Ibiza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

racso1975 wrote: »
    But surely you can do that with all sports. Break it down to it's smallest part and make it look pathetic as such.

Soccer: literally kicking a leather ball one end of pitch to other

Rugby: as above but a lot more physical

Pool, golf , cycling etc the basic premise of them sound boring but there Iis a lot more involved. Same as Katie winning the gold

I'm not disputing that there's a lot involved in being a top athlete. I don't think Banville was either. Rather, he took issue with the nature of boxing itself.

Just look at the idea of 'the knockout'. A perfect profesisonal boxing record could mean knocking all of you opponents unconscious. I think Banville was saying that after thousands of years of civilisation, we still value and celebrate butality.

For the record, I actually like boxing, but I appreciate where Banville is coming from.

All he ever did was write page after page of words and sentences, all about people who do stuff and things. And thats good, is it?

Banville finds boxing morally objectionsble. That's the point.

Am I to assume you feel the same way about literature? Are you a radical Muslim by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Sports are an (amazing)awful way for those stuck to their couch to think they have participated in something.

Sports are an (amazing)awful way for those stuck to their couch to think they have participated in something.

Only couch potatoes watch sport. What a tired old cliche.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Only couch potatoes watch sport. What a tired old cliche.

Except I didn't say that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement