Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

The tramps always win. Circa being a teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The other issue you have in relation to local league is the attention is split in favour of "more Irish" sports like GAA.. and even if we did put more money/attention into local teams, we're a very small nation with a handful of EPL/World-class players. Unless out population ramps up tenfold that won't change!

Besides, I never get this "support your own regardless" attitude. If people don't feel a connection with the local team, and the quality isn't appealing then why shouldn't they support someone else, even if it's a (shock, horror) English side?

Most other countries do. People from Dundee generally support Dundee FC or Dundee United, people from Nottingham generally support Nottingham Forest or Notts County. That attitude only suits us when it comes to club soccer. Would a Leitrim man support Kerry because they're easier on the eye or play a more exciting style? I cringe when I hear how the Irish are often lauded as the best fans in the world. Great for getting on a bandwagon at the World Cup or European Championships maybe. Supporting a team week in and week out though? Nah, not for us. Then we just blame standards, which don't seem to come into it when the national team is concerned. Another thing ya gotta love is how it's always family in Manchester or London but it's never Oldham Athletic or Crystal Palace the person follows. Ok I'm ranting now but it's definately true and most definately unpopular to acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Omackeral wrote: »
    Most other countries do. People from Dundee generally support Dundee FC or Dundee United, people from Nottingham generally support Nottingham Forest or Notts County. That attitude only suits us when it comes to club soccer. Would a Leitrim man support Kerry because they're easier on the eye or play a more exciting style? I cringe when I hear how the Irish are often lauded as the best fans in the world. Great for getting on a bandwagon at the World Cup or European Championships maybe. Supporting a team week in and week out though? Nah, not for us. Then we just blame standards, which don't seem to come into it when the national team is concerned. Another thing ya gotta love is how it's always family in Manchester or London but it's never Oldham Athletic or Crystal Palace the person follows. Ok I'm ranting now but it's definately true and most definately unpopular to acknowledge it.
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think tattoos are uncool.

Oh yes.. this x 1000. Think they just look dirty (even more so as they age) and it would actually put me off someone, especially in a potential partner

Another one.. drugs. No time whatsoever for drug users.. even the so-called "harmless" ones. Yea yea alcohol is a drug, but then I wouldn't go out with a heavy drinker either. I did the "mad sessions" in my 20s too, but I grew out of it... that and living outside the city meant it wasn't worth the hassle or expense of trying to get home at the end of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You certainly rebutted his points one by one there.

• Advertisement

Which part specifically. Go ahead. And don't just say all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Very good post. I do understand people being unable to resist the excitement of the big Premiership teams, to be fair, but people should at least support their local team also.

Very good post. I do understand people being unable to resist the excitement of the big Premiership teams, to be fair, but people should at least support their local team also.

In all honesty, people are free to support who they want and it doesn't bother me really. It's when they ask who you support and you say Cork City or Shamrock Rovers they go ''but who do you really support?'' as if you're the weird one for following your own. Most other countries do but over here, we are in the definate minority. Defo agree that they're not mutually exclusive too btw, most League Of Ireland fans would have a team in the Premiership they would like too. Nothing wrong with it. I'd love if more people followed both, it's easily done, LOI on friday at the games and United/Liverpool/Arsenal on a Saturday or Sunday. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

To be fair at the time of writing the above you had not yet read the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Another one.. drugs. No time whatsoever for drug users.. even the so-called "harmless" ones. Yea yea alcohol is a drug, but then I wouldn't go out with a heavy drinker either. I did the "mad sessions" in my 20s too, but I grew out of it... that and living outside the city meant it wasn't worth the hassle or expense of trying to get home at the end of the night.

So I assume you would go out with a 'regular' drinker. But would you go out with someone that had the odd joint or pill every now and then?

I'm just wondering what your actual problem is? Is it the risk that comes with drug taking? Is it the illegality? I'm not trying to catch you out here or anything. I'm genuinely interested.

I just think it's crazy how accepted alcohol abuse is in this country, versus cannabis use, for instance.

It's the same with cigarettes. Yes, many of us can't stand them, but it would be unusual to question the decency or integrity of someone that smokes. And yet that's what 'drug users' face all the time.

Different drugs lead to wildly different effects. I can see why someone would be put off by a sweaty clubber off his face on E, but what about the guy that quietly takes mushrooms every six months because he finds it helps him to explore new ideas and encourages him to look into new areas of study, etc.

That second guy is me. I simply cannot imagine my life without psychedelics. Some of the best decisions I've ever made in relation to work, education and my personal well-being were made on either mushrooms or LSD.

Would you have no time for me whatsoever?

• Advertisement

Another thing ya gotta love is how it's always family in Manchester or London but it's never Oldham Athletic or Crystal Palace the person follows. Ok I'm ranting now but it's definately true and most definately unpopular to acknowledge it.

Manchester was a popular destination for the Irish because of the post-war construction and manufacturing boom. There's not much point in emigrating to England and then being out of work and living in the middle of nowhere.

Manchester United was traditionally seen as Greater Manchester's 'Catholic' football club. It was hugely popular with Irish immigrants even before the 1950s and the Busby Babes.

In saying that, I assume a lot of people picked Man U simply because they were Man U. My dad picked them because his choice on a Saturday afternoon was going to see Best, Charlton and Law, or, well, I'm not sure who played for Oldham back then. Maybe he was a glory hunter but I wouldn't expect anything else from a 10 year old just fresh off the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So... you say we are all bandwagon jumpers and get behind Ireland for the big tournaments, and then go onto say how we complain that the standard of local soccer isn't enough but we don't complain about the Ireland team. The reason we're such bandwagon jumpers is because the Irish league and the Irish team are shít, and hard to watch. However when the unlikely happens and we make it to a finals we'll all jump on board for the craic. Nothing craic about going to watch LOI matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Quazzie wrote: »
    So... you say we are all bandwagon jumpers and get behind Ireland for the big tournaments, and then go onto say how we complain that the standard of local soccer isn't enough but we don't complain about the Ireland team. The reason we're such bandwagon jumpers is because the Irish league and the Irish team are shít, and hard to watch. However when the unlikely happens and we make it to a finals we'll all jump on board for the craic. Nothing craic about going to watch LOI matches.

I'm a Man Utd fan who has barely gone to an LOI match in the last 12-15 years. Having said that, I think you just defined bandwagon fans better than I have ever seen anyone do on boards. :pac:

If Ireland qualified for another tournament and nobody was interested, the hardcore fans would criticise everyone for not backing the national team or caring about Irish soccer. And they'd be right. However, the alternative is the bandwagon, like it or not.

Personally, I don't mind the bandwagon to a certain extent. I used to love seeing my mam buying Irish flags and painting all the kids faces out on the street. It was great craic. I don't even think she knew what sport it was. She probably thought it was the hurling World Cup. Although I suppose you can separate people like her from the hardcore bandwaggoners who suddenly reveal themselves to be experts on Ireland's tactical deficiencies. Those people are vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

If Ireland qualified for another tournament and nobody was interested, the hardcore fans would criticise everyone for not backing the national team or caring about Irish soccer. And they'd be right. However, the alternative is the bandwagon, like it or not.

Personally, I don't mind the bandwagon to a certain extent. I used to love seeing my mam buying Irish flags and painting all the kids faces out on the street. It was great craic. I don't even think she knew what sport it was. She probably thought it was the hurling World Cup. Although I suppose you can separate people like her from the hardcore bandwaggoners who suddenly reveal themselves to be experts on Ireland's tactical deficiencies. Those people are vermin.
    Sure after McGregor had his fight in Dublin that was on TV3 everyone in the country then became a UFC expert overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sure after McGregor had his fight in Dublin that was on TV3 everyone in the country then became a UFC expert overnight.

Which reminds me of another unpopular opinion. MMA is a vicious, horrible, ugly sport that should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Which reminds me of another unpopular opinion. MMA is a vicious, horrible, ugly sport that should be banned.
    It's banned in New York actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's banned in New York actually.

Did not know that. Only one I knew who tried to ban it was Marge Simpson!

Quazzie wrote: »

I disagree.

Anyone can be part of this anytime. I actually feel sorry for those who aren't, you can't get this craic, as you call it, through watching some team of millionaires on your flatscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

MMA is not a sport

• Advertisement

I attended an interview with John Baville at the Electric Picnic in 2012. The country was still buzzing over Katie Taylor's Olympic success but Banville said "Really? Is this the best we can do after thousands of years of civilisation? We know what the worst aspects of humanity are, but is boxing really us at our best? Cheering on this person because she managed to repeatedly punch this other person on the head."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I attended an interview with John Baville at the Electric Picnic in 2012. The country was still buzzing over Katie Taylor's Olympic success but Banville said "Really? Is this the best we can do after thousands of years of civilisation? We know what the worst aspects of humanity are, but is boxing really us at our best? Cheering on this person because she managed to repeatedly punch this other person on the head."

But surely you can do that with all sports. Break it down to it's smallest part and make it look pathetic as such.

Soccer: literally kicking a leather ball one end of pitch to other

Rugby: as above but a lot more physical

Pool, golf , cycling etc the basic premise of them sound boring but there Iis a lot more involved. Same as Katie winning the gold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

There are pictures of his family, girlfriend and fans freaking out and crying when Mendes took him to the mat in his most recent fight. His dad said he was stunned watching it. It will be interesting to see the Irish reaction when Jose Aldo beats Conor. I don't think that they will take it well. He's been built up to unprecedented levels and whilst hes an amazing athlete, extremely entertaining and possesses great striking ability, he's a rung lower than Aldo.

I guess that's an unpopular opinion in some quarters. Some Irish tulips actually believe that Aldo is scared of Conor. A world champion who grew up in the favellas, who hasn't been beaten in ten years and who has made eight successful title defences. McGregor bandwagoners are some of the most deluded fans in the world.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

All he ever did was write page after page of words and sentences, all about people who do stuff and things. And thats good, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think banning things should be banned.

Freedom of choice for all parties involved where nobody else is hurt or affected. It's a slippery slope if we start to take those choices away regardless of whether or not we agree with said choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Couldn't careless about Cecil the lion.

wylie wrote: »
    Couldn't careless about Cecil the lion.

Yes you could.

You could care little enough not to post about him.

All he ever did was write page after page of words and sentences, all about people who do stuff and things. And thats good, is it?

Yes. Better than punching people, certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Care less and careless are two different things by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement