Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Well then with respect don't presume to tell everyone else they have inferior community spirit.
    With respect, that was not my intent, no presumption made ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    You obviously know f*ck all about Sheriff Street or the inner city, except for your blinkered, ignorant opinions :mad:

I grew up in these areas, granted there are gougers there as their are elsewhere, but a greater sense of community spirit you won't find anywhere else.

It never ceased to amaze me the fact that those who had so little would be so giving & circle the wagons to help out a neighbour in times of need, without question.

If you knew anything about the areas in question, you'd know this, but sure, don't let me tell you otherwise & carry on blissfully in your ignorance :rolleyes:

According to John Lonergan the majority of prisoners in the Mountjoy come from Sheriff Street and Seán McDermott Street. That's a sizeable population from two very small areas. Can't remember where I read it but I think it was Re-imagining imprisonment. Granted there are reasons for this but there are large tracts of the country that were historically impoverished and they don't make up sizeable portions of the prison population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

According to John Lonergan the majority of prisoners in the Mountjoy come from Sheriff Street and Seán McDermott Street. That's a sizeable population from two very small areas. Can't remember where I read it but I think it was Re-imagining imprisonment. Granted there are reasons for this but there are large tracts of the country that were historically impoverished and they don't make up sizeable portions of the prison population.

Great but the exceptions don't make the rule and it is an incontrovertible fact that poverty and criminality are linked the world over. Other issues of course also interact and interplay with the poverty such as substance abuse, lack of educational opportunities, family breakdown.

So unless your point is that Sheriff St and Sean McDermott St are home to special breed of criminal human you really need to think about what you are saying.:rolleyes:

I agree with this post almost entirely and have extensive experience in the area but I do take issue with the bolded. The inner city and working class areas do have a great sense of community but its a nonsense to suggest that it is unique to them.
    It may not be unique to them, but compare like with like.

In central areas of cities like Dublin, it tends to be the poorer communities who have greater cohesion, probably out of necessity of course, than their wealthy neighbours in highly secure apartment complexes and townhouses.

People in the latter type of housing don't need to rely on their immediate surroundings for their social needs. They have work & social networks outside of their living areas.

I'm not sure how you'd measure it, but it wouldn't be one bit surprising if the poorest central Dublin communities were the most cohesive & community-focused.

Why does any of this matter anyway?
    Well because if an area is to thrive, locals must be 'stakeholders' (horrible word) in that community. Otherwise they're, well, a bit parasitic: sinking resources without any valuable return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Yeah ****ing Irish people going and taking Australian and canadian jobs, ya have to dry the line somewhere.

But drawing the line on emmigration? We should stop Irish people leaving Ireland?

this argument pains me.
    Why should what irish people do abroad have any baring on how we conduct ourselves at home , our social or economic policy , or our laws.

Why?

Shouldn't we do what is best for ireland and that alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

That Mr Cian Twomey fella on FB isn't remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FourFourFM wrote: »

I think if you're over a certain age, or don't (fortunately) know anyone that acts like the girl he portrays, that's not an unpopular opinion at all.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Who?

Mr Cian Twomey.

There's a clue for the eagle - eyed in the post you quoted.

Kev W wrote: »
    Mr Cian Twomey.

There's a clue for the eagle - eyed in the post you quoted.

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

arayess wrote: »
    this argument pains me.
    Why should what irish people do abroad have any baring on how we conduct ourselves at home , our social or economic policy , or our laws.

Why?

Shouldn't we do what is best for ireland and that alone?

Well because if other countries took the same approach and did the best for canada they wouldn't let irish in, but hey don't let that drown out the sound of your banjo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I dislike this whole nerd culture where people are crazy about comic books, punk music and cosplay (girls dressing up as video game characters usually).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think if you're over a certain age, or don't (fortunately) know anyone that acts like the girl he portrays, that's not an unpopular opinion at all.

I am 23 and know girls that are like that. I just don't see how posting the same video just scripted slightly different each time, is funny. He's a one trick pony. It's working for him though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

Well because if other countries took the same approach and did the best for canada they wouldn't let irish in, but hey don't let that drown out the sound of your banjo

Do you think that the Canadian labour minister came over here on a recruitment drive due to humanitarian reasons or due to him wanting skilled Irish workers? If Canadian unemployment spikes and they no longer need so many foreign workers, then they will simply slash the whv quota without a second thought.

Ditto with Australia. And none of the Irish over there will be entitled to claim a lick of welfare until they become citizens or gain permanent residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Recently had a job interview in a retail outlet, a place that sells office equipment.

Show up to the interview and I get interviewed by a middle aged Irish woman who runs the store and a young enough foreign girl who was five minutes older than me with somewhat of a dodgy accent. Going by her name I'd say she was Estonian or Lithuanian perhaps, either way from Eastern Europe. Interview did go well and I think I was more than qualified for the job, showed the usual positivity and researched the outlet quite well.

It did really get up my nose that a young immigrant was interviewing me for a basic retail position and I really don't think she should have been in the room and it should have been just me and the Irish woman that clearly runs the place. Even found the foreign one on Facebook after I got yet another rejection letter from the place that had her name on it, she worked in a shoe shop like very recently and the shop went bust and she's in this other place now, interviewing Irish people who struggle to get work.

To me it's just not right, might be an unpopular opinion but really I don't care.
    But that's the EU innit. No different to you getting a job in France or Germany. If you're not in favour of the EU, your opinion, but there's nothing untoward going on, and EU membership has benefitted this country greatly in terms of the economic.
    If she were a freeloader/scam artist, you'd have good cause to be pissed off, but it's all above board - nothing wrong being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah what the hell is this about? I heard about him a few times but never checked his stuff out as I assumed (correctly) that it would be just stuff that'd appeal to college/school students.
    Then I saw an article about how he's got a good following in the UK and has quit his job to tour over there. So I checked some of his stuff out... it just comprised him swearing and putting on silly voices. :confused:

I guess he's kinda flamboyant, has the laughable accent that is the Cork one - Irish Alan Carr kinda job maybe. But not much else, that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

But that's the EU innit. No different to you getting a job in France or Germany. If you're not in favour of the EU, your opinion, but there's nothing untoward going on, and EU membership has benefitted this country greatly in terms of the economic.
    If she were a freeloader/scam artist, you'd have good cause to be pissed off, but it's all above board - nothing wrong being done.

Well I don't want a job in France or Germany, I don't want to leave my country and I shouldn't have to.

I have no problem with her working there (only problem I do have is her English could be better though and she should have stayed downstairs while I talk to the woman over her head) but sitting in on my interview and possibly influencing the managers decision when she only works in the store itself, I've been in and out of the same store in the past so I know what she does in there. I think her being in the room may have jeopardized my chance of landing the role. The fact her name was on the rejection letter and not the name of the person over her gets my goat though, I want to see the managers name on it, not the typical employee's name. Rejected by a person who has worse English than me just rubs me up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Well I don't want a job in France or Germany, I don't want to leave my country and I shouldn't have to.

I have no problem with her working there (only problem I do have is her English could be better though and she should have stayed downstairs while I talk to the woman over her head) but sitting in on my interview and possibly influencing the managers decision when she only works in the store itself, I've been in and out of the same store in the past so I know what she does in there. I think her being in the room may have jeopardized my chance of landing the role. The fact her name was on the rejection letter and not the person over gets my goat though, I want to see the managers name on it, not the typical employee's name. Rejected by a person who has worse English than me just rubs me up the wrong way.

Im not really sure is this the case but do people sometimes ask another person to sit in on the interview with them so they are not alone in the room with the person they are interviewing to protect themselves, I dont really know, went for an interview last week and the person interviewing me asked for another staff member to sit in on the interview.

I prefer one on one interviews, so much easier but to be honest I can only remember doing one on one interviews when the person is the same sex. I dont know anyway I'm crap at interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

fin12 wrote: »
    Im not really sure is this the case but do people sometimes ask another person to sit in on the interview with them so they are not alone in the room with the person they are interviewing to protect themselves, I dont really know, went for an interview last week and the person interviewing me asked for another staff member to sit in on the interview.

I prefer one on one interviews, so much easier but to be honest I can only remember doing one on one interviews when the person is the same sex. I dont know anyway I'm crap at interviews.

But the person sitting in isn't being beneficial, I'm sure the manager was perfectly well able to ask me the same questions in better English than the other one had, and her signing off on my rejection for the role is just a piss take, she should have been left to do her own job behind the counter and taking phone calls instead of possibly impeding my chance to land a job in this unemployment riddled backwater. Just bugs me because I spent an entire week waiting around for that interview and preparing for it which was quite time consuming, along with applying for other roles, after all that, still didn't get it. Wondering was it a case of nepotism, too many jobs in my locale are obtained that way, wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But the person sitting in isn't being beneficial, I'm sure the manager was perfectly well able to ask me the same questions in better English than the other one had, and her signing off on my rejection for the role is just a piss take, she should have been left to do her own job behind the counter and taking phone calls instead of possibly impeding my chance to land a job in this unemployment riddled backwater. Just bugs me because I spent an entire week waiting around for that interview and preparing for it which was quite time consuming, along with applying for other roles, after all that, still didn't get it. Wondering was it a case of nepotism, too many jobs in my locale are obtained that way, wrecks my head.

Hang on, is it nepotism or foreigners? Cos those two are almost opposites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

My company has a policy that there are at least two people conducting interviews. I've had to sit in on a few on occasion. I wasn't making any decisions on the hiring but I was a sounding board for my manager after the interview to discuss the good and bad points of the interviewee.

The manager in the shop was likely doing something similar with her employee. And your attitude to her would have obviously been discussed after you left. Even if you didn't display it, you'd be surprised at what an interviewer will pick up. They'll end up saying something like you "weren't a good fit" or they "didn't get the right vibes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

My company has a policy that there are at least two people conducting interviews. I've had to sit in on a few on occasion. I wasn't making any decisions on the hiring but I was a sounding board for my manager after the interview to discuss the good and bad points of the interviewee.

The manager in the shop was likely doing something similar with her employee. And your attitude to her would have obviously been discussed after you left. Even if you didn't display it, you'd be surprised at what an interviewer will pick up. They'll end up saying something like you "weren't a good fit" or they "didn't get the right vibes".

Why would her name be on the rejection letter though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Why would her name be on the rejection letter though?

Who knows, maybe she's an assistant manager. Maybe the other manager is training her and got her to do the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

But the person sitting in isn't being beneficial, I'm sure the manager was perfectly well able to ask me the same questions in better English than the other one had, and her signing off on my rejection for the role is just a piss take

So the foreign girl asked the questions and signed the letter, is it possible she wasn't "sitting in" on the interview but actually conducting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I could care less about where someone is from.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hang on, is it nepotism or foreigners? Cos those two are almost opposites.
    It's both, because "it's not my fault, it's someone else's".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do you think that the Canadian labour minister came over here on a recruitment drive due to humanitarian reasons or due to him wanting skilled Irish workers? If Canadian unemployment spikes and they no longer need so many foreign workers, then they will simply slash the whv quota without a second thought.

Ditto with Australia. And none of the Irish over there will be entitled to claim a lick of welfare until they become citizens or gain permanent residency.
    And what evidence do you have of this, exactly? I mean, Australian unemployment basically doubled very quickly both in the 1980s and 1990s... why did they not pull out then?

Also, are Aussies and Canadians in Ireland able to claim the dole now? Genuine question because you seem to be alluding quite heavily to that in the last sentence.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Mwuah hahahahaha.

My evil plan worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    You obviously know f*ck all about Sheriff Street or the inner city, except for your blinkered, ignorant opinions :mad:

I grew up in these areas, granted there are gougers there as their are elsewhere, but a greater sense of community spirit you won't find anywhere else.

It never ceased to amaze me the fact that those who had so little would be so giving & circle the wagons to help out a neighbour in times of need, without question.

If you knew anything about the areas in question, you'd know this, but sure, don't let me tell you otherwise & carry on blissfully in your ignorance :rolleyes:

I'm from a working class area of Dublin myself and the reason you find so much 'community spirit' is because people want their neighbours to like them as they don't want them in robbing they're houses when their out and about.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    And why do you think that Sherriff St and other parts of the inner city had a proliferation of 'gougers' (your word)? Could it have related to the housing conditions there?

Meh, couldn't care less. People in Ballymun recently got pretty nice houses, grand no bother, will that make a dent on crime statistics there, I'm betting no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm from a working class area of Dublin myself and the reason you find so much 'community spirit' is because people want their neighbours to like them as they don't want them in robbing they're houses when their out and about.
    Utter bollocks, but you're entitled to your opinion & I respect that ;) :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement