Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'm with them since the beginning. Lot of issues at start up, but these long solved. Was previously with Three - cant say there is any difference.
    Price is what attracted me.
    Read somewhere that Virgin is looking at buying them, but that could be a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

BowWow wrote: »
    I'm with them since the beginning. Lot of issues at start up, but these long solved. Was previously with Three - cant say there is any difference.
    Read somewhere that Virgin is looking at buying them, but that could be a rumour.
    found their coverage crap,dropped calls,data dismal

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

found their coverage crap,dropped calls,data dismal

Have you any experience with 3 though?
    Just wondering what the comparison is with them (my current network!)
    ED E wrote: »
    ID is a commercial failure that its owners are trying to divest themselves of, not sure I'd move to them.

They use the 272-05 network like Three's own customers and see similar performance.
    Thanks for this, not sure if I should be worried about the 1st point, will only be signing up for max of 30 day rolling contracts, so even if things went bad shouldn't have a huge impact! On the 2nd point, that's exactly what i'm looking for, just want to know if i'll have the same performance!
    BowWow wrote: »

Thanks for that, price is definitely good, which often means it may not be sustainable, but maybe take it while it's available, and as said earlier, it's max 30 day contract!
    Interesting on Virgin, but are they not already in the mobile market? Thought they'd be more interested in investing in networks at this stage rather than more carriers that piggyback on other networks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

nheav wrote: »
    Have you any experience with 3 though?
    Just wondering what the comparison is with them (my current network!)

Thanks for this, not sure if I should be worried about the 1st point, will only be signing up for max of 30 day rolling contracts, so even if things went bad shouldn't have a huge impact! On the 2nd point, that's exactly what i'm looking for, just want to know if i'll have the same performance!

Thanks for that, price is definitely good, which often means it may not be sustainable, but maybe take it while it's available, and as said earlier, it's max 30 day contract!
    Interesting on Virgin, but are they not already in the mobile market? Thought they'd be more interested in investing in networks at this stage rather than more carriers that piggyback on other networks!!

While in the backend, ID mobile may be using their own setup - it is well documented at this point that Three's network is stretched seriously thin. I couldn't even use ID mobile as my bank, and work, send myself verification codes to log in each day and cannot send to ID as they are not peered.<<< that seems crazy but it really is true.

Vodafone seems to still be the leader in most areas but you pay for it. Considering though they have a 30 day plan at 30 euro a month, 10GB of data etc - that's probably the nearest they have been to offering so called "cheap plans"

7 years ago, that would be insane. I remember emobile offering unlimited calls texts and 15GB of data for 49 a month and we thought it was insane value

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Just on this, I am thinking of moving to ID (going to buy a phone online and move to one of their sim only plans which seem very good).

But my one worry is around coverage.
    Since it's the same network as 3, can anyone confirm if I will have the exact same signal as 3 (who I am currently with) or is it a case that these type carriers are given stripped down access to the networks?
    My signal with 3 is grand, and I can get by with it, but not sure i'd be too happy with it if it was any worse.

I use ID mobile for my personal phone and 3 for my work phone, on a dual sim phone so only need to carry 1 phone, I find that I get better reception with ID than 3 and the internet is quicker than 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cal60

Just on this, I am thinking of moving to ID (going to buy a phone online and move to one of their sim only plans which seem very good).

But my one worry is around coverage.
    Since it's the same network as 3, can anyone confirm if I will have the exact same signal as 3 (who I am currently with) or is it a case that these type carriers are given stripped down access to the networks?
    My signal with 3 is grand, and I can get by with it, but not sure i'd be too happy with it if it was any worse.

I'm with Id for about a year now . I originally wondered about coverage too but reckoned what was there to lose . If the coverage is not good you are only tied in for 30 days ? Having said that I am a very light user only calls and texts , occasional Whatsapp. The price is nice though - I pay €10 per month :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And there is the end of IDMobile...need to find new operator now and nothing offers the same value as ID (from the quick look I've had)
    Damn. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hmm, I don't know what I'm going to do now. I was paying €15 a month for 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 30GBs of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

And there is the end of IDMobile...need to find new operator now and nothing offers the same value as ID (from the quick look I've had)
    Damn. :(

The highlighted bit is possibly a major contributor to it's downfall i.e. it's not charging enough to be commercially sustainable!!

So, is there any consensus on what the "next best" network to switch to is value wise? Can we expect any of the other networks to come out with a time limited offer to attract the 40,000 ID Mobile users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Hmm, I don't know what I'm going to do now. I was paying €15 a month for 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 30GBs of data.

Same as that, I'm guessing it's back to higher prices so

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Gutted, I was paying less than €10 a month for 500mins/250texts/7GB, which suited be perfectly.

Had a look there, next best seems to be Lycamobile - Unlimited/Unlimited/15GB for €15, anyone know what they are like, and who they piggyback on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Pity, they were good enough while they lasted. My biggest issue was no data plan at all in the US when travelling. Other than that, I had really good coverage out in the sticks of Co. Galway.

Hopefully another special offer will pop up from another provided looking to hoover up some customers. The 3Pay Trio for 20 a month might have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

flexcon wrote: »
    While in the backend, ID mobile may be using their own setup - it is well documented at this point that Three's network is stretched seriously thin. I couldn't even use ID mobile as my bank, and work, send myself verification codes to log in each day and cannot send to ID as they are not peered.<<< that seems crazy but it really is true.

Vodafone seems to still be the leader in most areas but you pay for it. Considering though they have a 30 day plan at 30 euro a month, 10GB of data etc - that's probably the nearest they have been to offering so called "cheap plans"

7 years ago, that would be insane. I remember emobile offering unlimited calls texts and 15GB of data for 49 a month and we thought it was insane value

Agree regards VF but too dear, Tesco are ok ,not as good but cheaper,and if in a good area doable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

For mobile data bundles ID were by far the best. Used to use Tesco who offered 15GB a month but they then halved that to 7.5gb for the same price. The worst part was that they tried to sell it to you as some sort of 'upgrade'.

So ID offered 60GB for 30 euro. For a rural house there was nothing like it in terms of cap and relatively good connectivity.

Very annoyed now, have to try and come up with a viable alternative with only a few weeks to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Downsey77 wrote: »
    Gutted, I was paying less than €10 a month for 500mins/250texts/7GB, which suited be perfectly.

Had a look there, next best seems to be Lycamobile - Unlimited/Unlimited/15GB for €15, anyone know what they are like, and who they piggyback on?

Actually did a bit of checking and the Lycamobile reviews are horrific, will be giving them a wide berth, probably back to Tesco mobile for me then, unless anything better comes up.

Although you'd think some of the other networks might respond with some decent deals as there will be a lot of iD customers looking for a new home, or is that too much wishful thinking ;)

Downsey77 wrote: »

They are ok if all you want is a 3G signal from the Three network but they don't do "roaming" in the same way other networks do and are extremely difficult to deal with either via their website or call centre.

I got so fed up with them I switched to ID and it was like night and day in terms of the actual service (ID have 4G and "normal" roaming) and customer service.

Lycamobile are the last network I'll go to. I'd rather pay a premium elsewhere.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    The 3Pay Trio for 20 a month might have to do.

It doesn't seem to include any calls to other networks other than the Three network :confused:

http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/3pay-trio-sim/priceplan

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

3G Data only on Tesco Mobile...no 4G??

It doesn't seem to include any calls to other networks other than the Three network :confused:

http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/3pay-trio-sim/priceplan

I don't really call or text much so that's still probably the best deal for me. Need to find out how roaming works for 3pay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Oh no. The alternatives look pretty grim. I was really happy with ID - and could never understand why they didn't outgrow the others. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Disaster. I've been the same. After initial roaming hiccups they have been a dream to deal with. Plus for 15pm for unlimitedly everything and 4g it couldn't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

This is a disaster - their pricing was great - I only signed up with them 4 or 5 months ago and I got my mother to move to them too.
    I've had a look on switcher.ie and the rest look to be the same - competition my arse!

The highlighted bit is possibly a major contributor to it's downfall i.e. it's not charging enough to be commercially sustainable!!

They targeted to get 250,000 customers but only got 40,000. I imagine their prices were commercially sustainable if they hit or came somewhere near their target.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

MayoForSam wrote: »
    The 3Pay Trio for 20 a month might have to do.

I asked customer service. They said that's a promotional rate that changes constantly and is only guaranteed till 28 April... I'm not sure how competent the agent was but that's the word

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Virgin doing unlimited sim only plan for €12. Increases to €25 after 6 months. Existing virgin Customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Surely some of the other networks will have some sort of deal in the next few days to try to get some of the 40k customers looking for a new network.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I was with Tesco before, switched to Lyca to give them a shot (found them awful) then saw the great offers that ID had and so I've been with them a few months and found them fantastic.

Will be moving back to Tesco - 15euro - unlimited calls, 10gb of data and keep the credit. Negatives for me are only 3g and no roaming data addons

EDIT: the data addons can actually be used for roaming as per the T&Cs

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Virgin doing unlimited sim only plan for €12. Increases to €25 after 6 months. Existing virgin Customers only.

They are also doing a €7 a month offer of:-

250 call minutes
    250 Texts
    2 GB data (4G included)
    EU Roaming Included

I know that won't tick the box for a lot of people but for light users (young kids, elderly parents etc) it may well suffice.

Increases to €15 a month after 6 months :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm not going to make any rash decisions. Very limited with who I can go with as Vodafone and Meteor don't work where I am. Still going to wait it out and hope someone offers a good deal to lure us in with.

Advertisement