Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

With iD since last summer. Can't beat their bundles and prices. The fact they only attracted 40k customers is nuts. Customer inertia in the mobile market is alive and well.

Going to wait it out for a few days and see if the others respond. Tesco and Lyca are no go for me anyway. So options are limited unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

namloc1980 wrote: »
    With iD since last summer. Can't beat their bundles and prices. The fact they only attracted 40k customers is nuts. Customer inertia in the mobile market is alive and well.

Going to wait it out for a few days and see if the others respond. Tesco and Lyca are no go for me anyway. So options are limited unfortunately.

I'm with iD over 2 years and have had very few problems. Had more issues when on Vodafone. Couple of times data dropped out and had a brief spell 18 months ago where calls dropped out every evening for a few days but no major issues that I would have complained about.
    Disappointed to see them go as I thought they offered great deals. My folks also on iD so looking for something affordable and suitable for them. Virgin may be the way to go for them, but, like poster above won't rush in yet, see if anyone tries pull us in.

I'm with iD over 2 years and have had very few problems. Had more issues when on Vodafone. Couple of times data dropped out and had a brief spell 18 months ago where calls dropped out every evening for a few days but no major issues that I would have complained about.
    Disappointed to see them go as I thought they offered great deals. My folks also on iD so looking for something affordable and suitable for them. Virgin may be the way to go for them, but, like poster above won't rush in yet, see if anyone tries pull us in.

Virgin unlimited sim only plan at €25 per month looks the best bet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was in that Eir store in Dundrum and saw some 16gb offer for 15 Euro PM with unlimited calls and texts. rolling 30 day contract.

Sounds better to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

This mobile plan comparison service from Comreg looks very useful. Enter your requirement in terms of data, minutes etc and it'll list out a series of options for you.

• Advertisement

This mobile plan comparison service from Comreg looks very useful. Enter your requirement in terms of data, minutes etc and it'll list out a series of options for you.

There is no way that will be up to date with the offers the providers will come out with this.

Go out have a look rather than reviewing old plans

listermint wrote: »
    Was in that Eir store in Dundrum and saw some 16gb offer for 15 Euro PM with unlimited calls and texts. rolling 30 day contract.

Sounds better to me.

Increases to €30 after 6 months. But would do for a few months anyway. I got used to the 30gb limit on iD though. 15gb would feel restrictive :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Increases to €30 after 6 months. But would do for a few months anyway. I got used to the 30gb limit on iD though. 15gb would feel restrictive :pac:

Yeah it's been great never having to worry about going over my minutes/data...and those 3 mystery sms I send a month were handy too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Looks like Tesco Mobile €15 a month might be the best value alternative currently available unless someone makes a land grab for the 40,000 ID customers with a special offer of some sort:-

https://www.tescomobile.ie/sim-only-plans.aspx

Their €15 PAYG plan offers:-

Unlimited calls*

Unlimited Tescomobile texts

10GB data (6.8GB of roaming in the EU) but only on 3G.

* Fair usage applies to unlimited tariffs - i.e. per 30 day period, up to 10,000 call minutes and 10,000 texts to landlines and mobile phones in the Republic of Ireland and while roaming in the EU and 15GB of data used in the Republic of Ireland and up to 6.8GB while roaming in the EU. Once you exceed the fair use limits, out of bundle rates apply. Excludes roaming outside of the EU, international calls, premium rate and other non-geographic usage.

Looks like Tesco Mobile €15 a month might be the best value alternative currently available unless someone makes a land grab for the 40,000 ID customers with a special offer of some sort:-

https://www.tescomobile.ie/sim-only-plans.aspx

Their €15 PAYG plan offers:-

Unlimited calls*

Unlimited Tescomobile texts

10GB data (6.8GB of roaming in the EU) but only on 3G.

* Fair usage applies to unlimited tariffs - i.e. per 30 day period, up to 10,000 call minutes and 10,000 texts to landlines and mobile phones in the Republic of Ireland and while roaming in the EU and 15GB of data used in the Republic of Ireland and up to 6.8GB while roaming in the EU. Once you exceed the fair use limits, out of bundle rates apply. Excludes roaming outside of the EU, international calls, premium rate and other non-geographic usage.

No 4G is a killer for me anyway.

• Advertisement

It's for 12 months not just 6 ask in store.

There's no way your using that much data on your mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

My hand will be forced sooner than ideal - if the signal dropping this afternoon is an indication of how this final month will play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Hey everyone,

In light of the recent iD Mobile closure, and since it is likely it will not be purchased by another provider, I will attempt to get my SIM Only Deals website (MoolaMonkey) relaunched tonight.

At best, this will be a shell of what it was shaping up to be, but it should give people a clearer idea to which plans might suit them.

(As per usual, there'll be no adverts, referral links, and so on.)

listermint wrote: »
    It's for 12 months not just 6 ask in store.

There's no way your using that much data on your mobile

You should see my iD bill attached below! It says in the eir site it's 6 months. I'll pop into one of their shops and check.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

CPW are currently switching ID customers to the EIR sim only plan for €15 per month, the offer says 6 months, but in store staff have been able to get people the offer for 12 months. Its a rolling 30 day contract and there is also €20 store credit available which each account switched over.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    CPW are currently switching ID customers to the EIR sim only plan for €15 per month, the offer says 6 months, but in store staff have been able to get people the offer for 12 months. Its a rolling 30 day contract and there is also €20 store credit available which each account switched over.

They have it on the CPW site now. 12 months at €15 or €10 if you have eir broadband. Way to go I'd say. Offer only in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

so this actually works out pretty good for me as I was on a contract for another 14 months and I've found the service on ID (i.e. Three) to be quite poor, especially on trains and such in Dublin. I'd reached a stage where I'd happily have left and paid a higher monthly fee for better service.

Would I be right in saying Vodafone are still the best for reception? And most expensive, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Does anybody know the legal situation for those who have a handset with ID on contract?

Killer K wrote: »
    Does anybody know the legal situation for those who have a handset with ID on contract?

Just read the email there. We're still required to pay the monthly costs of the handset :( They'll be in touch with details as to how.

I retract my previous statement, so basically I now have to pay the monthly cost of my mobile AND a much more expensive data plan. That sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tommyb123

Cina wrote: »
    Just read the email there. We're still required to pay the monthly costs of the handset :( They'll be in touch with details as to how.

I retract my previous statement, so basically I now have to pay the monthly cost of my mobile AND a much more expensive data plan. That sucks.

Is this situation a lot different to the one with three when they changed the contracts and people were able to cancel the contract and keep handsets? iD are the ones breaking the service contract so are we really still gonna be on the hook for the cost of the phone?

• Advertisement

Hi Cina, read that also. I wonder if this is enforceable from a consumer point of view given that the contract was with ID. For example, can I just say my contract is terminated as ID no longer exists and I hand back by handset to the liquidators? (Purely theoritically speaking of course) this would obviously leave me without a phone...

tommyb123 wrote: »
    Is this situation a lot different to the one with three when they changed the contracts and people were able to cancel the contract and keep handsets? iD are the ones breaking the service contract so are we really still gonna be on the hook for the cost of the phone?

I'm really not sure to be honest. ID are quite unique in that you basically "lease" the phone off them. When you enter a contract for Three, you're paying for the contract having already gotten the phone.

tommyb123 wrote: »

That was my initial question exactly Tommy.

Killer K wrote: »
    Hi Cina, read that also. I wonder if this is enforceable from a consumer point of view given that the contract was with ID. For example, can I just say my contract is terminated as ID no longer exists and I hand back by handset to the liquidators? (Purely theoritically speaking of course) this would obviously leave me without a phone...

yeah i'm not sure either. Handing the phone back would be the ideal option for me, too! I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. It does seem odd that they could enforce you to keep paying for the phone when you no longer have a contract, but again, with ID it did always feel to me that the phone and contract payments were almost two different things.

yeah i'm not sure either. Handing the phone back would be the ideal option for me, too! I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. It does seem odd that they could enforce you to keep paying for the phone when you no longer have a contract, but again, with ID it did always feel to me that the phone and contract payments were almost two different things.

That is a good point. Must have a look at the contracts and see! I would imagine though the same applies to leasing (especially if you are happy to return the product). Unless contract for phone was with CPW..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

What about the sim data plans ID offered?

From what I can see, by far the best options. 3G is fine by me, I never used the 4G but I used the 60GB for 30 euro plan they offered and can't see any equivalent elsewhere for similar money.

Three.ie appear to offer a similar plan but it's for phones and I use the sim in a MiFi device so I don't know if I'll be able to use that sim in the device.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you still have a contract with them for the phone, technically speaking. You just won't have a contract with them for a mobile service any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Agree regards VF but too dear, Tesco are ok ,not as good but cheaper,and if in a good area doable

postmobile.ie use the Vodafone network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Allowing 3 to purchase O2 Ireland was only done on the basis that the MVNOs were going to provide healthy competition.
    This doesn't bode well.

• Advertisement

I think you still have a contract with them for the phone, technically speaking. You just won't have a contract with them for a mobile service any more.

Who are them though post April 6th?

Advertisement