Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Killer K wrote: »
    Who are them though post April 6th?

They could do something like sell the contracts on to a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Allowing 3 to purchase O2 Ireland was only done on the basis that the MVNOs were going to provide healthy competition.
    This doesn't bode well.

It was a total misstep. Telefonica was failing but going from 4x MNOs to 3x was just going to hamper competition in an already overpriced market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cina wrote: »
    so this actually works out pretty good for me as I was on a contract for another 14 months and I've found the service on ID (i.e. Three) to be quite poor, especially on trains and such in Dublin. I'd reached a stage where I'd happily have left and paid a higher monthly fee for better service.

Would I be right in saying Vodafone are still the best for reception? And most expensive, obviously.

No Eir have fantastic reception I left Vodafone about 7 years ago haven't looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You should see my iD bill attached below! It says in the eir site it's 6 months. I'll pop into one of their shops and check.

Is that typical month or abnormal?

I'd struggle to use 8 gb and I never use wi-fi anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I was happy enough with iD so I am sorry to see them go. I was with Tesco before, they were ok and very good value but I didnt have data coverage in my office (in town), so that was a killer.

Before them I was with 3 (just awful, poor customer service, just no integrity) and Meteor (happy enough, but moved to a better deal).

Where to go now...

48, Tesco and Postmobile have really good deals, but no 4G so I will avoid it for now.

Eir I am considering, I have Broadband with them and their level of incompetency and amateurism in the few dealings I have had get me, but if I do PAYG I am in control and can leave when I want.

Virgin...I am also considering. 2gb and 250 minutes/texts for EUR15 will do for me.

Vodafone...nope...too expensive

Three...no. I would rather communicate using smoke signals.

Lyca...good deals, but they are the first mobile network without a network (neither their own nor a third party...just no network). Too innovative for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll be going back to Eir. Sad to see iD go but Eir wrt mobile gave me little trouble and I'm a sucker for an Irish call centre. I moved from them to iD.

Three can go whistle. Which is mad given I've spent 3 years using their network without their incompetence. I've never come across anything like them. Incredibly awful company.

Vodafone are too spicy for my pocket at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Very sad to see ID go. Was on the friend's and family rate.... Won't get anything close to that offer ever again.
    I am in he market for a new phone but won't be paying over the odds.... I have a work phone and can use that as a personal phone if needs be. Would of course, rather not.

Anyone know the best deals out there at this very minute?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gzoladz wrote: »
    I was happy enough with iD so I am sorry to see them go. I was with Tesco before, they were ok and very good value but I didnt have data coverage in my office (in town), so that was a killer.

Before them I was with 3 (just awful, poor customer service, just no integrity) and Meteor (happy enough, but moved to a better deal).

Where to go now...

48, Tesco and Postmobile have really good deals, but no 4G so I will avoid it for now.

Eir I am considering, I have Broadband with them and their level of incompetency and amateurism in the few dealings I have had get me, but if I do PAYG I am in control and can leave when I want.

Virgin...I am also considering. 2gb and 250 minutes/texts for EUR15 will do for me.

Lyca...good deals, but they are the first mobile network without a network (neither their own nor a third party...just no network). Too innovative for me.

Forgot all about 48. Just checked with them and they only do roaming on their €10 package. If you're on one of the more expensive packages, you have to switch to the €10 package, then switch back to your normal package after you come back. Who the fúck came up with that idea. I couldn't be arsed doing that so they're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

gzoladz wrote: »

Where to go now...

You can get 12 months with eir for €10 per month sim only bill pay as you have eir broadband already. Unlimited calls and texts and 15gb data. Won't beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Skedaddle wrote: »
    They could do something like sell the contracts on to a third party.

In that scenario i would think there would be the option to buy out one's own contract.

Would think giving customers this option at a (significantly) discounted rate would be a good option for all concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I've a week left on my Pay as you go and I've used just over 3gb of data. The Vodafone has 6 gb, 100 minutes any network calls and texts and the usual unlimited calls and texts to other vodafone users for 20 a month. It's not great but the rest seem to only have 1 or 2 gb's for 15 a month. I'll not be hasty nonetheless.

Jaysus lads we were spoiled with iD.

Actually worked out grand. Bill free mobile for February and March, then switch to eir for €15 for 12 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Killer K wrote: »
    In that scenario i would think there would be the option to buy out one's own contract.

Would think giving customers this option at a (significantly) discounted rate would be a good option for all concerned

Seeing as they're owned by Dixons Carphone, I doubt they'll sell the contracts on and just continue to manage it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

You can get 12 months with eir for €10 per month sim only bill pay as you have eir broadband already. Unlimited calls and texts and 15gb data. Won't beat that.

It is a great deal. But I don’t think texts are included. I moved from three to Eir. Very happy. I get unlimited calls, texts and 15gb for 20 Euro per 28 days. Works great

Seeing as they're owned by Dixons Carphone, I doubt they'll sell the contracts on and just continue to manage it themselves.

The liquidator will decide that. Dixons are out of the picture in that sense. The liquidator could sell the ongoing equipment contracts for a knock down price and the buyer then would follow up on the payments hoping to recover more than they spent on buying the contracts.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    It is a great deal. But I don’t think texts are included. I moved from three to Eir. Very happy. I get unlimited calls, texts and 15gb for 20 Euro per 28 days. Works great

From the CPW site:

EXCLUSIVE SIM ONLY DEAL FOR ID CUSTOMERS ONLY

Get a Sim Only plan for just €10 per month on eir**
    Customers moving from iD Mobile can now get:

Unlimited calls
    Unlimited Texts
    15Gb Data
    Free Social Media

All of this for just €10 per month for 12 months if you have eir broadband or €15 a month for 12 months if you don't. Available in-store only!

Interesting Namloc. The offers are starting to come in and we're ripe for poaching!

crustybla wrote: »
    Interesting Namloc. The offers are starting to come in and we're ripe for poaching!

That eir offer through Carphone Warehouse looks like the winner to me.

From the CPW site:

Unlimited calls
    Unlimited Texts
    15Gb Data
    Free Social Media

All of this for just €10 per month for 12 months if you have eir broadband or €15 a month for 12 months if you don't. Available in-store only!

Do you know if there is a contract or can you leave that plan whenever you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The Vodafone X plan PAYG is a great deal. For 20 euro top up every 28 days you get 100 mins to any network, unlimited texts and 20 GB of data, but the cherry on the cake is you can 3 different options with it, you can have Sky sports, Spotify or unlimited weekends. I'm on the unlimited weekends pack and it's brilliant.

https://www.vodafone.ie/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Data sim question - Was using ID mobile's data sim 60gb option and am now looking for similar alternatives. I see Virgin Mobile have an option of unlimited call / texts and data but the question is can I use this sim (presumably a sim meant for a phone) in my portable hotspot device ? Or will it know somehow and not work.

I previously tried a Lyacmobile sim in it with no joy so some sims wont work although I'm unsure as to how they know the device accessing it isn't a phone.

Do you know if there is a contract or can you leave that plan whenever you want?

30 day contract

chabsey wrote: »
    Data sim question - Was using ID mobile's data sim 60gb option and am now looking for similar alternatives. I see Virgin Mobile have an option of unlimited call / texts and data but the question is can I use this sim (presumably a sim meant for a phone) in my portable hotspot device ? Or will it know somehow and not work.

I previously tried a Lyacmobile sim in it with no joy so some sims wont work although I'm unsure as to how they know the device accessing it isn't a phone.

It should work but then again I would have thought the lyca sim would have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

It should work but then again I would have thought the lyca sim would have worked.

Yes I agree it should work unless the wifi device broadcasts some signal that says 'I'm not a phone'...The thing is, the cost / availability of pure data sims is pretty bad, the caps are low and the selection is poor. So, using a phone sim instead makes much more sense, so it makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do it. So, perhaps there is some restriction in the hardware, I'm not sure.

I hope these offers are straightforward, as in no need to purchase phone in store, price doubles after 12 months and when you sign up you're in a contract for two years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Lyca block tethering / hotspot. I think they are the only ones that actually block it, so it won't work in a router/mifi etc.
    It will work in a phone but only that phone, ie won't allow tethering/hotspot to any other device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

From the CPW site:

Unlimited calls
    Unlimited Texts
    15Gb Data
    Free Social Media

Does anyone know if the eir broadband bill need to be in your name for this (assume it does?). Have eir broadband alright but the bill isn't in my name.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the eir broadband bill need to be in your name for this (assume it does?). Have eir broadband alright but the bill isn't in my name.

Normally, for Eir mobile and fixed line bundles, it's a single bill. So it would be in whoever's name's on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Any other operators with good coverage offering sim only deals? I am a light user and while EIR's offer would suit me, I had awful experiences with them....

• Advertisement

I would say actually that Eir has invested very heavily into their mobile network and it is actually pretty decent these days.

I have a 3 SIM for work and an Eir SIM for my personal mobile and the comparison is like night and day in favour of Eir most of the time.

1. Data speeds are consistently much better.
    2. Where 4G isn't available, their 3G is actually usably fast. Three often wasn't.
    3. WiFi calling is genuinely handy.
    4. This was unexpected but their voice service sounds much better. Calls on 3 sound over compressed or something. Eir sounds normal, like Vodafone. I have no idea why 3 sounds odd but it does. You really notice it when you switch from one SIM to the other.

I also haven't had any issue with their customer care. In general I've found them to be pretty responsive on the couple of times I've had to get in touch, which isn't often.

I know Eircom annoys the hell out of people and built up a bit of a reputation and that Mereor used to be very ropey but, genuinely I haven't had any issue with Eir mobile at all. It's been a pretty good experience for me anyway.

If you're concerned, test a prepay SIM for a few days in your area and see if it's suitable.

Otherwise, jump to 3 (or one of its other MVNOs : virgin, Tesco) or Post Mobile which is on Vodafone.

I think unless you can get a special deal on Vodafone they're way too expensive to use directly.

Advertisement